PDA

View Full Version : Tough it was the battery...

dvdqrn
06-04-2011, 11:29 PM
Last week-end, boat was super fine and on monday boat didn't want to start. I did click once and after nothing. I checked voltage and it was 10.4V !!! I did charge the 2 batteries they are now at 12.4V. Same thing, it click once and nothing. I did check the solenoid, clean it and then, it did click cick click.....but not starting.

It's clicking quick when i try to start but not starting.....it's a 2000 prostar 205V. I don't get it, someday it work fine, other it won't start. It's starting to be a little frustrating.

Last year it did the same, when i brang the boat to boaat shop, she did started without doing nothing !!!!

So I'll try to find what's going on and maybe one day i'll figure out.

Feel free to help here, i'm quite shure that it's something easy because when she start she goes so fine, but only when she want !!!!

dvdqrn
06-04-2011, 11:31 PM
by the way, how to know if i flooded the boat ? and what to do ?

JMann
06-05-2011, 12:46 AM
Maybe your batteries aren't consistently holding a charge? When the battery is low or won't turnover the starter it will click. It doesn't make sense but maybe your battery is sometimes holding a charge and other times its not? I don't know something to look at. Take your batteries to an auto shop and have them tested. Should be free and something easy to check off the list.

nmcjr
06-05-2011, 02:37 AM
Sounds to me like the starter is just about to die all together, sometimes they'll act like this for a while first. But, I'd agree to have the battery tested first, then have the starter tested. If you need to replace the starter be aware that it needs to be a marine specific starter, ie not a car starter.

Thrall
06-05-2011, 02:47 AM
Sounds to me like the starter is just about to die all together, sometimes they'll act like this for a while first. But, I'd agree to have the battery tested first, then have the starter tested. If you need to replace the starter be aware that it needs to be a marine specific starter, ie not a car starter.

Me too..............

wheelerd
06-05-2011, 03:31 AM
Swap in a known good battery and see how that works. Even a vehicle battery for a while would be fine.

If it's not the battery or starter if might be a poor or intermittent connection. Poor grounding in particular is often the culprit. Check and clean battery posts, engine ground, solenoid terminals, starter terminals, ignition switch. Coat with dielectric grease.

Since you appear to have a multimeter, do voltage checks at all the terminals with key off, key on, and when cranking (or at least clicking!) Wouldn't hurt to do resistance checks on the main cables as well.

Footin
06-05-2011, 08:08 AM
If the battery was at 10.4 then only charged the 12.4 it is junk, it has a dead cell.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Last week-end, boat was super fine and on monday boat didn't want to start. I did click once and after nothing. I checked voltage and it was 10.4V !!! I did charge the 2 batteries they are now at 12.4V. Same thing, it click once and nothing. I did check the solenoid, clean it and then, it did click cick click.....but not starting.

It's clicking quick when i try to start but not starting.....it's a 2000 prostar 205V. I don't get it, someday it work fine, other it won't start. It's starting to be a little frustrating.

Last year it did the same, when i brang the boat to boaat shop, she did started without doing nothing !!!!

So I'll try to find what's going on and maybe one day i'll figure out.

Feel free to help here, i'm quite shure that it's something easy because when she start she goes so fine, but only when she want !!!!

sounds like a loose battery cable connection to me either at the starter, solenoid or the batteries or the switches

agarabaghi
06-05-2011, 11:54 AM

x2 on this recommendation. my started did the samething before dieing

dvdqrn
06-05-2011, 03:31 PM
i checked all connections, cleaned all conector, test batteries at the local garage and still not starting. the starter might be the problem. i ll bring the boat to the local boat shop. no boating this weekend ;(

frosty
06-05-2011, 07:40 PM
i checked all connections, cleaned all conector, test batteries at the local garage and still not starting. the starter might be the problem. i ll bring the boat to the local boat shop. no boating this weekend ;(

I had a truck that the battery would get run down...Charged it up, used it, then eventually it would start turning over slower & slower, until the battery was dead.

Turned out the starter was shorting, and pulling 700 amps to crank the engine...then the alternator couldn't charge the battery 100% before needing another start... so the battery would get run down.

Sounds like a similar problem to what you are having...yank the starter out (easy to do!), and get it bench tested at an autozone, etc.

dvdqrn
06-24-2011, 04:17 PM
The boat is fix...it was the starter !

agarabaghi
06-24-2011, 04:34 PM
good to hear. I will be installing my new starter this afternoon i hope it fixes everything

Table Rocker
06-24-2011, 04:55 PM
good to hear. I will be installing my new starter this afternoon i hope it fixes everythingBe sure and install it correctly. If it is too installed too closely, you can tear up your ring gear.

http://www.marinemechanic.com/site/page169.html

agarabaghi
06-24-2011, 05:13 PM
done it a few times on my older boat. Thanks for the link. I dont think i saw any shims?