PDA

View Full Version : 87 prostar need help

lakeview190
06-04-2011, 06:45 PM
I have ab 87 190 with a 351 with 1200hrs when cold, starts and runs fine, but after it gets hot starts really hard and barely runs. Mechanic says I need a new carb, but seems like it is an ignition issue. Recently was tuned up and has a pretty new coil. I would appreciate any advice. Should I go to electronic ignition? Replace the carb? I have rebuilt it twice already! Just frustrating as it is fine when its cold. Thank you.

hkallestad
06-04-2011, 07:37 PM
I can't help you much, but change to electronic ignition, you will never look back.

Lance
06-04-2011, 08:58 PM
I had a problem as you describe on my 87 which was due to the secondaries flooding after shutdown (you could see fuel sitting on top the butterfly valve if you took off the arrestor). it seemed like an odd thing and I suspect there is little chance that you have the same issue but I thought I would mention it.

i assume your Choke opens as it is supposed to after initially starting boat and stays open (should take a minute to open once the ignition is on).

I have had ignition problems on my boat but never that let to the problem yo describe.

I assume you have the original Holley 4160 carb? There were a few years that indmar moved away from the 4160 and if not mistaken people had hard starting issues but I dontbelieve I have heard of widespread hard start issues with 4160.

this probably isn't very helpful.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-04-2011, 09:16 PM
The holley 4010 is the carburetor thats had most problems, most switch TO the 4160...

Luv2Ski
06-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Once you get the boat re-started will it eventually clear and run good? How long before it starts like normal?

Look for fuel dripping in the carb right after you shutdown. Also see how wet it look. If fuel is leaking from either a blow PV or needle issue you should see it.

It is also possible that your coil is overheating. Usually this will also show up at idle though (when the temps under the hatch get high from a lack of airflow).

87MCProstar
06-05-2011, 01:56 PM
I had a similar issue a couple summers ago. She would fire right up while cold, but nothing when she warmed up. It wasn't a fuel issue for us, but found out that we had a short in the tach that was keeping the coil open and overheating. but let it sit and cool down for awhile and it was fine.

lakeview190
06-06-2011, 06:54 AM
Thanks for all the help. No fuel dripping in carb at all, it is dry and choke stays open. Yesterday it took exactly 45 min and then started missing, shut it down removed the coil and cooled it down for an hour. Re-installed coil, started right up and ran good for 25 min, then same thing. Going to get a new coil, but what would cause the coil to overheat/go bad as I just replaced it last year?