PDA

View Full Version : @$#@$ Boat

dpolen
06-03-2011, 10:08 PM
2011 is not off to a good start. I finally got around to putting the boat into the lake today. Shut the boat down in the middle of the lake this evening to let the kids test the water, but when I tried to start the boat, there was nothing...absolutely nothing. I'm sure it's going to be something ridiculous like a loose wire or a bad switch, but this is not what I needed on the maiden voyage for 2011. Headed back to the lake tomorrow AM with my buddy to get it loaded on the trailer to tow it to the dealership. Karma did come back to help me, when a nice couple towed my two little kids and myself back to the dock...nice to see others paying it forward.

What's a '98 Maristar worth...$20-25K?? This might be the trigger point to get me to pull the trigger on a new boat.

Happy Friday folks...I hope others get to burn more $4 gas than I did tonight!

agarabaghi
06-03-2011, 10:13 PM
hope the kill switch wasnt pulled out, or the boat wasn't shut off in gear.

JimN
06-03-2011, 10:15 PM
2011 is not off to a good start. I finally got around to putting the boat into the lake today. Shut the boat down in the middle of the lake this evening to let the kids test the water, but when I tried to start the boat, there was nothing...absolutely nothing. I'm sure it's going to be something ridiculous like a loose wire or a bad switch, but this is not what I needed on the maiden voyage for 2011. Headed back to the lake tomorrow AM with my buddy to get it loaded on the trailer to tow it to the dealership. Karma did come back to help me, when a nice couple towed my two little kids and myself back to the dock...nice to see others paying it forward.

What's a '98 Maristar worth...$20-25K?? This might be the trigger point to get me to pull the trigger on a new boat.

Happy Friday folks...I hope others get to burn more $4 gas than I did tonight!

"Nothing", as in no crank or no run?

dpolen
06-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Nothing...not even a crank. Not in gear, made sure of that. Boat was running just fine until I shut her down. Thoughts on things to check? I tried checking connections to the kill-switch, all looked fine. I thought I heard a slight clicking sound when I turned the key one time, but I had a 3 year old and 6 year old that were trying to help...so it was not the most ideal diagnostic scenario. Any thoughts for a potential quick fix to get back on the lake soon????

Battery is strong, connections are solid on the battery.

agarabaghi
06-03-2011, 10:34 PM
kill switch lanyard?

dpolen
06-03-2011, 10:40 PM
kill switch lanyard?

Nope, nothing wrong with it. Checked it out.

vision
06-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Everything else have power? Gauges and stereo have full power? Check the ground wire to the starter. Certainly sounds like the neutral switch sensor thinks the boat is in gear. I suppose you could have a bad neutral sensor.

JimN
06-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Nothing...not even a crank. Not in gear, made sure of that. Boat was running just fine until I shut her down. Thoughts on things to check? I tried checking connections to the kill-switch, all looked fine. I thought I heard a slight clicking sound when I turned the key one time, but I had a 3 year old and 6 year old that were trying to help...so it was not the most ideal diagnostic scenario. Any thoughts for a potential quick fix to get back on the lake soon????

Battery is strong, connections are solid on the battery.

As vision posted, check the neutral safety switch. It's on the transmission and has two wires connected to it- white with black tracer. You can jumper it safely because it's not carrying high current. Any kind of wire will work, or you can have someone hold a paper clip on both screws.

ahhudgins
06-04-2011, 12:13 AM
A buddy of mine could hear a brief "click" when he tried to start his. I keep a volt meter in my boat and the solenoid was only getting 12V for a split second. He told me that he had checked his battery terminals and they were tight (and they were). When he held the key in the start position there was 12V on the (+) battery post but nothing on the (+) terminal. Pulled off his terminal and there was some kind of weird grey corrosion and pits on the inside of the terminal. Sanded down both of his terminals and it has worked ever since. It had enough juice to pull in the solenoid but dropped out when the starter tried to turn over. I told him to spend a few bucks and buy new ones but he said "Why, these are working fine?"

Don't just look at your terminals and ground wires, unbolt them and clean them.

dpolen
06-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys...I'll try these suggestions when I go back to the lake this AM with the trailer...hopefully the boat can stay in the water because I got it to start.

Be safe, have fun, and burn lots of gas this weekend boys! Thanks!
Doug