PDA

View Full Version : another packing box question...

aarosurf
06-03-2011, 06:20 PM
I just replaced the stuffing in my packing box with new goretex "virtually dripless" packing. This morning I took the boat out for some wakeboarding, and when I checked the box it was scalding hot. Water literally vaporized when it touched it. I only hand tightened it... didn't use a wrench whatsoever. There was no dripping at all, do I just need to hand untighten it some?? Or is there another problem. I'm just worried because I followed the instructions on virtually every thread to only hand tighten the box.

JMann
06-03-2011, 06:29 PM
I would guess it's to tight. I did mine and never checked again, but only went out once since. I probably should after my next run.
I would loosen a 1/4 turn and check again.

flipper
06-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Sounds like it's way too tight.

aarosurf
06-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Figured as much. Even though it's "dripless" I'm going to target a drip every 30 seconds or so and see if that works.

bturner2
06-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Too tight. I've found it better to have it leaking and then adjust it to minimize the flow. If it get's too hot it could score the shaft and melt the packing in which case you're back to square one, or worse.

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Does anyone know what "too hot" is? Some information on the web says 10-12deg F above water temp. A friend did his and was getting readings spiking about 160deg F.

CantRepeat
05-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Does anyone know what "too hot" is? Some information on the web says 10-12deg F above water temp. A friend did his and was getting readings spiking about 160deg F.

Is this on a dripless of log-pack with gortex cord?

Either way I think that is way to hot. On my 92 with gortex cord and say 1 drop every 5 or 10 seconds it was never to hot to touch.

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-04-2012, 12:26 PM
It's not dripless or gortex. Just the standard stuff you can get from West Marine.

From what I understand is that he's adjusted it out to a pretty good drip rate, but it still runs hot.

east tx skier
05-04-2012, 12:50 PM
I have mine adjusted for about one drip per second or two in gear. I don't worry about a little water in the bilge. I err on the side of keeping the drive shaft happy.