PDA

View Full Version : new trailer tires

treptowr
06-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Time to replace tires on the 2002 single axle mastercraft trailer. Current tires are the original Goodyear Marathon 225 75 15 inch, D load range. Local tire shop suggests putting on an E rated tire for a few bucks more. "Better Tire". It's only a few bucks more so I wouldn't mind spending a few more bucks if it's worth a little piece of mind. Wondering though, doesn't the E rated tire take 80PSI? I know the D is 65PSI. Can the wheel take the 80PSI without a problem? Am I going to have a rougher ride with the E rated tire and higher pressure? I never trailer far, 20 miles round trip with maybe one trip a year that is 200 round trip.

TxsRiverRat
06-03-2011, 05:41 PM
W-T-F - are they "ST" (special trailer) rated? if they arent - run away from that shop - they're idiots and selling you street tires

MC

Time to replace tires on the 2002 single axle mastercraft trailer. Current tires are the original Goodyear Marathon 225 75 15 inch, D load range. Local tire shop suggests putting on an E rated tire for a few bucks more. "Better Tire". It's only a few bucks more so I wouldn't mind spending a few more bucks if it's worth a little piece of mind. Wondering though, doesn't the E rated tire take 80PSI? I know the D is 65PSI. Can the wheel take the 80PSI without a problem? Am I going to have a rougher ride with the E rated tire and higher pressure? I never trailer far, 20 miles round trip with maybe one trip a year that is 200 round trip.

treptowr
06-03-2011, 05:44 PM
It's a Titan Trailer tire.

TxsRiverRat
06-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Just an FYI, i just bought two brand new ST rated trailer tires from Vulcan landed at my door for 150, and I had a rinky dink local tire jernt put em on for $20.

175 installed was far less than the $300+ discount tire wanted for it.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-03-2011, 06:13 PM
For your average use, replacing with the D rated tire would be just fine. When you take that longer trip, the heavier 10 ply tire would be beneficial if you load the trailer with a bunch of gear. The better trade would be a radial tire instead of a bias as the radial will run cooler down the hwy.

Ski-me
06-03-2011, 06:24 PM
I do know the ST rated tires have more steel in the sidewall but how much compared to a D or E rated tire...????

I put on new ST rated tires and their max pressure rating is 50 psi.

treptowr
06-03-2011, 06:25 PM
The tires I have on now are radials. Forgot to mention that. St225 75r 15. And the new e rated tire is a radial.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Your can also run nitrogen in the tires that will run cooler and cut down on the natural loss of air pressure over time and it maintains pressure with changing temperature...

nmcjr
06-03-2011, 10:32 PM
A friend who frequents travel trailer forums said he saw a lot of those guys going with LT's instead of ST's-I haven't looked into this much, but will when I need trailer tires. The theory being that a lot of the ST tires are lousy tires, which I have experience with and would agree with. I've also wondered about the 80PSI and what it would do to ride and tire wear. The wheel will be fine though.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-03-2011, 10:41 PM
The stiffer sidewalls of a 10 ply (E Rated) will create a stiffer ride on top of the higher air pressure. That is the result of greater carrying capacity. The only thing close to free lunch is having a tandem axle where 4 D rated tires provide a huge capacity and a softer ride.

Catchin'
06-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Go back with good year! Mine are 2000 md with a 205V riding on them and have pulled a good bit and are just now thinking of changing them this year.

GoneBoatN
06-04-2011, 12:31 AM
The stiffer sidewalls of a 10 ply (E Rated) will create a stiffer ride on top of the higher air pressure. That is the result of greater carrying capacity. The only thing close to free lunch is having a tandem axle where 4 D rated tires provide a huge capacity and a softer ride.

Except then you have 4 x $ rather than 2 x $ so still no free lunch. ;^)

Thrall
06-04-2011, 01:50 AM
Go back with good year! Mine are 2000 md with a 205V riding on them and have pulled a good bit and are just now thinking of changing them this year.

You're about the only one. GY Marathons are pretty well known for being crappy tires.
That said, they seem to last longer in the 15" versions on single axle trailers than 14" tandems.
My reccomendation, buy anything but GY Marathons.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-04-2011, 01:52 AM
Except then you have 4 x $ rather than 2 x $ so still no free lunch. ;^)

That's why I said close.

Stephen Nordquist
06-05-2011, 01:09 AM
I have a single axel trailer with 2003 gy marathons great tire made in new zealand, but i will not replace with a china bomb.I to wanted to use an e rated tire but upon checking the rim it is rated 2540 pounds at 65 psi. I called mastercraft and they said vendor that made the rim is out of business and suggested i stay at the stated rim weight and pressure.My choice would be to spend the extra money and buy two new maxxis d rated tires. From everything i have read on the internet this is the best st tire at this time.I have also thought about greenball at costco but still feel maxxis is first and greenball second. I personally would not trust any of the other tire companies. The e rated tire would also have stiffer side walls and ride rougher which i am told by one tire company could comprimize the rim.

Thrall
06-05-2011, 02:52 AM
You know, you don't have to fill a E tire to 80 psi right?
Put a E rated tire on it and put whatever pressure you need.