PDA

View Full Version : Water on floor behind passenger seat ? ! ? !

Locascio
06-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Hey all, I have recently purchased a 1999 Prostar 190 and in the third ride noticed that the carped was wet behind the passenger seat (not under the seat but toward the rear of the boat). I looked under the passenger seat and it was somewhat dry. The bilge had a very minimal amount of water in it. I am very confused as to where this might be coming from. It has to be from somewhere above. Check out the pics:

Locascio
06-03-2011, 09:29 AM
It started slow (2nd pic) and progressed toward the rear seat and time went on (1st pic)

flipper
06-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Check your rub rail behind that seat. You'll probably notice the most water coming in at low speeds

Locascio
06-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Flipper, I thought that may be the problem....what would I look for specifically and how would I fix it?

flipper
06-03-2011, 09:33 AM
The easiest way, at night have somebody shine a light from the outside on the rub rail. Look for the light from the inside. The best way is to pull it off, and seal it up with some marine silicone. You may get away with just shooting some up in there with out pulling the rub rail off.

flipper
06-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Look through some of these...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/search.php?searchid=3696955

Locascio
06-03-2011, 11:30 AM
That link doesn't seem to work.... :(

flipper
06-03-2011, 11:32 AM
How about this one

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/search.php?searchid=3697274

Thrall
06-04-2011, 01:05 AM
Is there a shower hose stuffed back there?
Freaked out once in my 190. Water in the back corner, soaked the carpet. Kids must have played with the shower mixin valves and the spry head was on too.

Locascio
06-04-2011, 09:57 AM
No shower hose, that I know of...

Locascio
06-04-2011, 09:58 AM
How about this one

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/search.php?searchid=3697274

Nope, that link doesn't work either

ksdaoski
06-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Check the speedo tube. If it has one. Had that issue once before, thought it was rub rail

Locascio
06-05-2011, 11:17 PM
How do I check the speedo tube? Not even sure what to look for on this?

Btw, I walked around it with a light and could't see the light shining through anywhere

Locascio
06-07-2011, 01:30 PM
still could use a little help with this, if anyone has any ideas, I would certainly appreciate some direction. Thanks for all the help so far!

rem_pss308
06-07-2011, 04:03 PM
THe speedo tube , runs from the pitot at the back of the boat. to the dash. You probably have two one on each side of the back of boat.

jconover
06-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Since I happen to have my boat torn apart right now. With pictures. Note, yours will not be this easy to get at. The speedometer tubes go from the pickups, through the hull, to balance tubes (the shiny brass... yes i polished them), and then from there they run along the starboard side of the boat and up to the dash. Since I dont have the deck installed, mine stop at the balance tubes right now. Check all these connections, and CLOSELY inspect the brass tubes for cracks. If you didn't winterize these (blow air from the dash down out the back of the boat in the winter), they can and will crack - I had one of these broken, and it was the source of a leak for several years.

ricford
06-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Does you boat have a heater. The heat exchanger under the bow could be leaking.

JMann
06-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Since I happen to have my boat torn apart right now. With pictures. Note, yours will not be this easy to get at. The speedometer tubes go from the pickups, through the hull, to balance tubes (the shiny brass... yes i polished them), and then from there they run along the starboard side of the boat and up to the dash. Since I dont have the deck installed, mine stop at the balance tubes right now. Check all these connections, and CLOSELY inspect the brass tubes for cracks. If you didn't winterize these (blow air from the dash down out the back of the boat in the winter), they can and will crack - I had one of these broken, and it was the source of a leak for several years.

If one of those brass pieces brakes would your speedo's be off?

Locascio
06-07-2011, 11:19 PM

This may make sense, I bought my boat in Georgia with a brand new LT-1 because the old one was not winterized. I would bet a million bucks the speedo's wern't either. My port side speedo doesn't work right and the leak is on the port (passenger) side of the boat. Are all the lines and balance tube for the port side speedo run up the port side of the boat? Thanks guys for allnyour help!

JeromeM
06-08-2011, 12:49 AM
hmmmm, my speedo's are off and i didnt blow out those lines last fall before winter :(

I don't remember seeing balance tubes back there on my 99 PS 205 but will look tomorrow.

Locascio
06-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Does you boat have a heater. The heat exchanger under the bow could be leaking.

Yes my boat has a heater. I will check that with a flashlight next time I am out. Thanks!

Locascio
06-14-2011, 05:58 AM
Yes my boat has a heater. I will check that with a flashlight next time I am out. Thanks!

Yep! Looks like my heater core is busted. I have searched around on here and found that I might be able to buy a replacement at NAPA. Anyone know if there is a valve or something I can turn off to stop sending water to it while in repair?

Thanks!

mayo93prostar
06-14-2011, 07:02 AM
There should be a valve on top of your engine where the heater hose comes off. If not, find the heater hose and put a valve in or block off the end at the core. Do the return end too.