PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Boat After Use

DJ 50
06-03-2011, 01:21 AM
Just curious on what everyone does to clean the hull after a day at the lake. My boat will stay on the lake on a covered lift. I work 4 on 4 off so I will spend every 4 days at the lake for 4 days at a time. For those of you who use your boats multiple days in a row, what do you do after each night? Do you wipe it down for water spots each day and give it a wash or wax at the end of the trip? Wash after each use? Or do you all just ride it hard and put it away wet? How much time does do you spend cleaning after each use?

Brian B
06-03-2011, 02:01 AM
I wipe down the hull and windows every time it comes out of the water with a 50/50 mix of distilled water and white vinegar.

AR Footer
06-03-2011, 06:02 AM
I wipe down the entire boat every time I take it out of the water. Every other time, I also apply a coat of wax. Takes a little extra time but certainly worth it in the long run.

ntidsl
06-03-2011, 08:18 AM
Everytime i swim i wipe the boat down witha microfiber rag while i am swimming. once a day usually first thing in the morning or immediately after my morning ski run i use a spray on gloss and a vinyl protectant. This all while the boat is in the water and being used. i dont have a lift and its in the water friday pm to sunday pm every summer weeekend. as long as i do this my boat comes out clean. Sunday pm, hose down the whole boat, spray on wax, vinyl protectant and dry completely. get ski rope and jacket ready for next friday and cover the boat. the best way to keep a boat clean is to keep it clean daily.

Saturday mornings are great, get up, upcover the boat, run it to warm it up and enjoy my coffee on the boat by myself. wake wife, hand her coffee, walk her to the boat, i jump in the water, PP is already set, i ski, come back to the dock, she walks back up to the house, i wipe the boat down with another cup of coffee...pack the cooler, put up bimini, organize ipod playlist, etc...the boat is ready for after bfast...

ntidsl
06-03-2011, 08:20 AM
oh and i use Rat Juice products throughout now. i buy the gallons and use commercial spray bottles to apply to surfaces. Gloss during days, and spray on wax at the end of the weekend. after 500 hours the boat looks better then the day i got it. black hull shines like a mirror...my fellow boaters hate me!

CantRepeat
06-03-2011, 08:29 AM
I've got a wash mit in the boat. Right before we leave at the end of the day I take the lube bottle (50/50 dish soap and water) and wash the boat down.

supturb89
06-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Everytime i swim i wipe the boat down witha microfiber rag while i am swimming. once a day usually first thing in the morning or immediately after my morning ski run i use a spray on gloss and a vinyl protectant. This all while the boat is in the water and being used. i dont have a lift and its in the water friday pm to sunday pm every summer weeekend. as long as i do this my boat comes out clean. Sunday pm, hose down the whole boat, spray on wax, vinyl protectant and dry completely. get ski rope and jacket ready for next friday and cover the boat. the best way to keep a boat clean is to keep it clean daily.

Saturday mornings are great, get up, upcover the boat, run it to warm it up and enjoy my coffee on the boat by myself. wake wife, hand her coffee, walk her to the boat, i jump in the water, PP is already set, i ski, come back to the dock, she walks back up to the house, i wipe the boat down with another cup of coffee...pack the cooler, put up bimini, organize ipod playlist, etc...the boat is ready for after bfast...

This is my dream scenario....and a dream it will remain.:(

DooSPX
06-03-2011, 08:43 AM
You and me both supturb89!!

Extremely jealous ntidsl....

BriEOD
06-03-2011, 08:44 AM
I've got a wash mit in the boat. Right before we leave at the end of the day I take the lube bottle (50/50 dish soap and water) and wash the boat down.

There has been much discussion about using dish soap. The general consensus is that a car or boat soap won't affect the wax as much. Might I be so bold as to suggest you ditch the dawn for some turtle wax soap.

ntidsl
06-03-2011, 08:49 AM
why just a dream fellas?

lanep82
06-03-2011, 08:50 AM
Vinegar/Water rub down on the outside

Babe's interior cleaner rub down for the inside.

Stays in great condition. Cheap, effective, and quick. You'll be set

flipper
06-03-2011, 08:58 AM
I use babes pretty much every time out. Makes the clean up the next go around much easier. Stuff wipes right off.

ntidsl
06-03-2011, 09:09 AM
I like Babes too, but Rat Juice smells better and goes farther for me. I use about 2 tbsp of vinyl protectant on a rag and I'm able to do all my seats in my 197. And the spray wax, 4 squirts each side and one the transom from a commercial spray bottle and I'm set. Wipe it all in and still have enough on the rag to do my trailer.

Tri4X2
06-03-2011, 10:35 AM
I should take pics of the X2 right down the dock from mine. It looks like he has never cleaned it from day one. I use babes, rainX, and spray wax every time I use the boat.

ntidsl
06-03-2011, 10:49 AM
please don't...

Tealchevy
06-03-2011, 11:15 AM
while still on the ramp spray the hull, windshield, and trailer with 50/50 vinegar water mix and dry with a shammy. wipe down interior with a cleaner. when it is pulled into the garage when I get home wipe it down with a spray wax, clean windshield again and wipe interior again.

HMF007
06-03-2011, 11:30 AM
50/50 water vinegar, then babes spray wax on the outside, and babes conditioner on the inside. Buy the babes by the gallon.

Looks like the day I got it.

TxsRiverRat
06-03-2011, 11:37 AM
50/50 water vinegar, then babes spray wax on the outside, and babes conditioner on the inside. Buy the babes by the gallon.

Looks like the day I got it.

Send a few babes Kyles way - he could use a few... LOL

DJ 50
06-04-2011, 04:16 AM
This brings up another question. Given that my boat is on a lift above the water, is it safe and/or legal to use these cleaning products right over the water? Even something as simple as soap. Am I going to have the rangers over at my dock when they see a bunch of soap in the water?

CantRepeat
06-04-2011, 07:05 AM
There has been much discussion about using dish soap. The general consensus is that a car or boat soap won't affect the wax as much. Might I be so bold as to suggest you ditch the dawn for some turtle wax soap.

Funny as you mention that, it is car wash soap. Turtle wax to boot, just called it dish soap.

UrbantuxTN
06-04-2011, 09:00 AM
This brings up another question. Given that my boat is on a lift above the water, is it safe and/or legal to use these cleaning products right over the water? Even something as simple as soap. Am I going to have the rangers over at my dock when they see a bunch of soap in the water?

I don't think it will be an issue. I have a buddy who runs a mobile detailing business and this time of year it is boat after boat, all on lifts. I would be leery of the "hull cleaners" just because there is no telling what that acid would do to a float tank.

dtc
06-04-2011, 09:18 AM
... its in the water friday pm to sunday pm every summer weeekend. as long as i do this my boat comes out clean. Sunday pm, hose down the whole boat, spray on wax, vinyl protectant and dry completely. get ski rope and jacket ready for next friday and cover the boat. the best way to keep a boat clean is to keep it clean daily.

You are a truly blessed man ... your description is the life I dream about!

Brian B
06-04-2011, 12:39 PM
X2! I would kill to live on a lake! If I ever move from AZ it's straight to lake Travis for me! I want that lifestyle!

GoneBoatN
06-04-2011, 11:00 PM
At the end of the day, wipe down at top of ramp with one of those absorbing towels to prevent water spots.

Then use babes spray wax/cleaner on hull; use babes spray vinyl cleaner on the seats. If going home, all hands at top of ramp makes quick work of it. If camping overnight, we go to the camp site, wife starts cooking and kids help with the boat. I don't get complaints as helping buys you rides on good water. Not helping gets you mid day choppy water.

Wax at home after every few times out (some times as few as two).

Tri4X2
06-05-2011, 11:53 AM
X2! I would kill to live on a lake! If I ever move from AZ it's straight to lake Travis for me! I want that lifestyle!
Travis is great if you can get past the Lake Jocks (Race boats) We went out last night and the water temp was 81-82 and complete glass. Wish I would have brought my camera. We pretty much boat 11 months out of the year, so buy Babes by the Gallon. Haven't tried the 50/50 mix yet though.

blakehardesty
06-06-2011, 03:39 PM
The Vin and water mix is a blessing. Does great on waterspots left behind after time too.

skongolf
06-06-2011, 08:22 PM
I used the 50/50 mix of water and vinegar last year and after a while it stripped my wax and the oxidation I buffed out came back. Talked to a couple detail guys and they said the water and vin. mix will do that even thought it is awesome for h2o spots. So this year I am thinking babes. Anyone know the cheapest place to get it?

NU-skier
06-09-2011, 10:22 AM
We trailer the boat so we wipe it down in the ramp area parking lot, inside and out before pulling away. It gets waxed after 3-4 trips to the lake and we use 303 on the seats as it appears to repel the dirt/water and it makes them easy to wipe down. This works great for us. We have had the boat 12 yrs now and it still looks new.

cf_koch
06-09-2011, 05:29 PM
We simply towel down the entire boat at the ramp with a towel and this seems to keep the water spots away. When we return home I open hatches and take out wet items and boards to keep the moisture level in the boat down. On Monday or Tuesday I usually clean any dirt off seats and apply 303. Boat looks great.

McDye
06-10-2011, 07:54 AM
We use a spraybottle mixture of 70/30 (water/vinegar) with about a cap full of wash that has Carnauba wax in it.

dtc
06-21-2011, 08:16 AM
I'd love to hear the thoughts of anyone who's knowledgeable regarding the chemistry involved between the gelcoat, fiberglass, and the process below. Giving credit where credit is due; this is not my idea or post. It's copied/borrowed from a post over on the TheMalibuCrew (link below if you want to read the full thread). It sounds legit to me, however I'd hate to learn the hard/expensive way that something was ruined by a strong acid!

"I know I'll catch some grief for what I am about to advise but it works like a charm. The active ingredient in bathroom cleaner that works on boats is Hydrochloric acid. Unfortunately the concentration of HCL in bathroom cleaner is not strong enough to remove the harsh yellow stains you speak of. I live on a lake that stains my boat yellow also. What I use is to remove the stain is MURIATIC ACID.

Muriatic acid in concentrated HCL and can be bought at most hardware stores. You absolutely need to wear SAFETY gear when using this, such as rubber gloves, eye protection, and a breathing mask when mixing!

I mix a cup of Muriatic acid to one gallon of water. Simply saturate a cloth, rub it on your boat and walk away. It takes about 10 minutes to work, less if you are washing your boat in the sun as sun helps to activate the process. It's great because you do not have to scrub or rub, it is a labor free process that will remove any and all water stains plus the deep yellow stains from dirty water. On top of that, it will not hurt your gel coat (although you will need to apply fresh wax when you are done).

NOTE: Do not get this mixture on any rust on your trailer. It will only make the rusting worse. On the plus side though the run off from when you rinse the boat will clean your driveway cement."

... here's the link ...
http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15724-what-do-you-clean-waterspots-with/page__st__20

DemolitionMan
06-21-2011, 08:52 AM
I wipe everything down.

SPSinclair 190
06-21-2011, 09:16 PM
I wipe down and use a spray detail wax everytime.

SoCal205
07-02-2011, 03:43 PM
I wipe everything down with a spray wax from Turtle Wax. I used to use vinegar and water, but it strips wax. Not only does it add wax it smells good too!

SOCALX45
07-26-2011, 11:49 PM
Picked up some Boat Candy speed gloss (http://www.performanceboatcandy.com/) the other day. Loved it works great. Took the water spots off gave it a nice shine and didn't leave and residual! It is a liitle expensive... $20 a bottle!

sc00ter_17
08-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Water/ Vinegar mixed 4:1 so it doesn't remove wax just water spots. Wipe down with micro fiber towel. Then Mastercraft spray wax and wipe down with a different micro fiber towel. Easy to tell which towel is used for what. Pickles anyone? Interior 303 after it is dry.

east tx skier
08-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Damp towel outside and in every time. Wax once or twice per year. Treat the seats about once per month. Have never needed the vinegar mix. Boat shines like new.

bigmac
08-05-2011, 08:18 PM
"I know I'll catch some grief for what I am about to advise but it works like a charm. The active ingredient in bathroom cleaner that works on boats is Hydrochloric acid. Unfortunately the concentration of HCL in bathroom cleaner is not strong enough to remove the harsh yellow stains you speak of. I live on a lake that stains my boat yellow also. What I use is to remove the stain is MURIATIC ACID.

Muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid. IMHO, a better choice is oxalic acid.

There are several acid wash preparations specifically designed for use on gelcoat. No need get out the chemistry set. MaryKate's On-Off, Zing, Slimey Grimey, Starbrite EzOn-EzOff, Bottom Cleaner, etc

SKIBUMM
08-23-2011, 05:08 PM
I have three Absorbers (atificial chamiox) that I keep in my boat and I wipe down inside and out after every trip. The absorbers take off the waterspots with no problem. I wax 2 maybe three times per year and 303 about every other month and my old boat looks like new still.

Table Rocker
08-23-2011, 05:45 PM
I would only add that boats that operate in harder water (more dissolved minerals) will most likely need more aggressive cleaning than boats that operate in softer water. When you see limestone bluffs all around your lake, you will probably see some minerals spots on your boat.

pkskier
08-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Babe's Boat Bright on the inside and out, I also use Babe's seat saver on the upholstrey.

Kevin@MWMC
08-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Boat gets wiped down every time she comes out of the water.

Gets a nice coat of Babes Boat Bright spray wax. Also use Babes Seat Soap and Seat Saver on the interior. Buy the spray wax by the gallon.

Boat looks newer than the day I got it!

BoulderX45
08-26-2011, 03:03 PM
This is my dream scenario....and a dream it will remain.:(

LOL! Its my dream too!!!! It will also remain a dream!

DemolitionMan
08-26-2011, 03:22 PM
I just wipe mine down inside and out.