PDA

View Full Version : Terrible evening

ahhudgins
06-03-2011, 01:27 AM
I drove up to the lake after work to measure my windshield for a bimini. When I got to the marina I found out that a woman had drowned at the swimming area about 20 yards from the boat ramp. I was told she was 21, pregnant, and her 4-year-old son was with her. She couldn’t swim and either fell off or jumped off of her float and the water was over her head. A female friend tried to help her but she was pulling the friend down with her. The friend had to let her go as the 4-year-old watched.

Police and rescue used a remote sub with a camera and also a boat equipped with sonar. She went under around 4:30 pm and they were sure they had located her body around 10 PM. Divers went in and verified it was her at 10:30 PM. It was gut wrenching to watch the police tell the family that they had located her body. She was in a swimming area that is used by locals every weekend.

iplount
06-03-2011, 02:02 AM
Just awful

Brian B
06-03-2011, 03:06 AM
Thats terrible. I'm questioning why a parent who can not swim would have a child near a lake or water......?

God speed to .

Covi
06-03-2011, 06:59 AM
So sad, Prayers are sent to the family.

76S&S
06-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Just horrible, prayers sent

DemolitionMan
06-03-2011, 09:41 AM
That is so sad.

ahhudgins
06-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Thats terrible. I'm questioning why a parent who can not swim would have a child near a lake or water......?

God speed to .

The link is correct, it's not related to graduation.
http://www.wset.com/story/14831609/senior-told-she-cant-walk-at-her-graduation

flipper
06-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Absolutely terrible, but like Brian said, why a parent who can not swim would have a child near a lake or water? That's just stupid

Tri4X2
06-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Reason people need to learn how to swim at an early age. It saves lives. Prayers and thoughts go out to the family.

chawk610
06-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Second that Tri4x2. It is one of the most important things to teach our children. I can't believe how hoorible this is... wow.

BriEOD
06-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Wow...awful.

TxsRiverRat
06-03-2011, 03:55 PM
gonna have to play devils advocate here. Yes I agree it sucks that someone drowned, but I also believe she was incredibly stupid to be in the water without a life preserver to begin with, so I only feel sorry for the kids, not her – she was in idiot.

DooSPX
06-03-2011, 03:58 PM
As heart less as it may sound, I agree with TRR. Only the 4 year old and the unborn baby do I feel sorry for.
she knew she could not swim, no PDF, not even a float, in a public water way, where the bottom terrine is unknown all equal... NOT VERY SMART!!!

Tomsinamerica
06-06-2011, 01:40 PM
seriously guys?? Please, have some compassion for her... Have you never done anything stupid in your life? Sure, it wasn't the wisest decision that she made but I'm sure we've all made some dumb decisions in our lifetime but we were lucky to get away with it at the time.

scott023
06-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Second that Tri4x2. It is one of the most important things to teach our children. I can't believe how hoorible this is... wow.

My sentiments as well.

scott023
06-06-2011, 01:47 PM
seriously guys?? Please, have some compassion for her... Have you never done anything stupid in your life? Sure, it wasn't the wisest decision that she made but I'm sure we've all made some dumb decisions in our lifetime but we were lucky to get away with it at the time.

Well said Tom. Thoughts and prayers go out to her son, feel more than horrible about the unborn baby.

ahhudgins
06-06-2011, 01:57 PM
They determined that the woman drowned in 10 feet of water. As I already mentioned, her female friend tried to save her but had to let her go because the drowning woman was frantic and pulling her down at the same time. The grand daughter of the marina owner (who is either 15 or 16 years old) also dove into the water but when she surfaced the victim had gone under. A by-stander has already made the comment that the grand daughter "should have tried harder" to save the drowning woman. I told the girls mother that unless her daughter was a trained life guard, she could have ended up being pulled down with the victim.

ahhudgins
06-06-2011, 02:10 PM

There were people swimming in the same spot this weekend when I pulled the boat out (as they do almost every hot weekend). Not to sound racist, but they are all black and I would bet that most of them can not swim. Most of the time they stay chest deep, but the victim was just trying to have fun with friends and family and she made a bad decision. I didn't know her but I still feel bad for her, her family, and her unborn child.

Tri4X2
06-06-2011, 02:13 PM
We see this all the time at the lakes. Life jackets and PFD's are made for a reason. Being in the medical field it scares the hell out of me when I see my buddies wakeboarding and surfing without jackets on.... but if you can't swim... it's a no brainer. We do all make mistakes, some of us pay for them with our lives.