PDA

View Full Version : Tow Vehicle

Kyle
06-02-2011, 07:16 PM
I need a new tow vehicle. Currently I have an '02 chevy avalanche bought 6 yrs ago with 25k miles and currently it has 215k on it. It rides nice but tows like it has a pair of pink panties on. It does not have air assist so the coil springs make it squat like I have a few fat girls under the bed cover.

I absolutely love the bed cover on the avalanche as it comes off quick and I can have a truck bed or a trunk. Most of the time there is valuables under the bed cover that get hauled around.

Ok here is my question. Do I keep the avalanche and buy a car or suv or sell and get a new tow rig.

The car would be along the lines of a BMW or Infinity 2 door sports car being in financial business a challenger srt would probably not be the greatest idea.

The suv would be along the lines of an tahoe ltz

I can't haul tools, lawn equipment, or anything dirty in the suv or car so a truck would be needed too. Yes suv would be used to haul the boat.

A new truck would be along the lines of a chevy or ford 1/2 ton Texas edition ltz or a king ranch. Im not really liking the idea of not being able to leave items in the truck bed. No I do not want a bed cover on a pick up. I think they are a pain to roll up, slide off, in bolt, etc. That style of cover will not be like my current secure cover.

I have also considered a newer avalanche ltz but the tow haul scares me.

My truck is very tired as I have been gasing the rods since I bought her.

Btw I haul a 25' Baja outlaw at times and have considered buying a 27' fountain boat. I have hauled 27' and 25' bajas with my current 1/2 ton avalanche but she is straining somewhat.

I don't want to afford a 3/4 diesel either.

Is 4x4 a plus. Ive never had the need for 4x4 but think it may be cool. I have no clue what to get. I hate car salesmen and especially finance guys. I would rather scratch a tigers jewels than deal with the bs lies those guys come up with.

Help me with ideas for a new ride. Thanks

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-02-2011, 07:32 PM
The new ford eco boost is a bad boy, v6 economy v8 power when needed, the max towing is like 10k pounds depends on how its equiped and 22mpg, if I was looking to replace my current lariat I would buy this new setup...

mikey.145
06-02-2011, 07:44 PM
I was towing my X45 with an 08' Tundra she had some issues pulling at highway speeds and would spin out the tires at every other boat ramp.
If your thinking about bigger boats the diesel may be the way to go, I found a 05' F250 with 58,000 miles for 25k it had the less desirable 6.0 engine but after a couple mods and computer updates it should run like a clock.
Anyway in my opinion once you pass around a 7000lbs trailer/boat weight the diesel is the only way to go and there are good deals out there on used diesels. Be careful though there are allot of ragged out pieces of junk out there to so educate yourself a little before going down the that road! Good luck

Kyle
06-02-2011, 08:01 PM
I was towing my X45 with an 08' Tundra she had some issues pulling at highway speeds and would spin out the tires at every other boat ramp.
If your thinking about bigger boats the diesel may be the way to go, I found a 05' F250 with 58,000 miles for 25k it had the less desirable 6.0 engine but after a couple mods and computer updates it should run like a clock.
Anyway in my opinion once you pass around a 7000lbs trailer/boat weight the diesel is the only way to go and there are good deals out there on used diesels. Be careful though there are allot of ragged out pieces of junk out there to so educate yourself a little before going down the that road! Good luck

Don't get me wrong I want a deisel but can't find one for a reasonable price that doesn't have 200k on it.

F250 king ranch is what I really want but the prices are too high.

What scares me to death is I have been through 2 transmissions in my truck and I'm on #3.

Like I said I gas the rods in my vehicles. I've had 4 chevy 1/2 ton trucks and none of them have been able to keep a transmission in them none of them. Kinda tired of vehicles not lasting.

Kyle
06-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Btw I don't know the good years of the f250 trucks to look at.

I think a black on black ltz tahoe or avalanche would be sharp with 22" rims.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Wanna stay away from the 6.0 L at least thats what I've been told from some ford dealership guys...

willyt
06-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Have you been in any of the newer GM 1/2 tons? I think they changed their transmission after 06, I have about 70k miles on my 07 Tahoe LTZ with 0 problems. In 07 the 5.3 got 30 more horses too, so she'd be more powerful than your 02.
If you wanted more power could get a Yukon denali which has the 6.2 409 HP engine, and they're super nice.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Is that an Ilmor in that Yukon...

ctjahn
06-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Btw I don't know the good years of the f250 trucks to look at.

I think a black on black ltz tahoe or avalanche would be sharp with 22" rims.

I can help if interested....
Cj

05 F250 SD CC LB.

Kyle
06-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Have you been in any of the newer GM 1/2 tons? I think they changed their transmission after 06, I have about 70k miles on my 07 Tahoe LTZ with 0 problems. In 07 the 5.3 got 30 more horses too, so she'd be more powerful than your 02.
If you wanted more power could get a Yukon denali which has the 6.2 409 HP engine, and they're super nice.

My ex has an 08 tahoe ltz. It pulls a lot nicer and has more power.

Kinda thinking keep my worn out truck and get a tahoe or avalanche. My new vehicle will be a work vehicle for me and needs to be nice. A 3/4 ton is not a vehicle to show up to someones house and take care of their insurance and investments.

ctjahn
06-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Wanna stay away from the 6.0 L at least thats what I've been told from some ford dealership guys...

I own one and could agree with you somewhat. Anyone reads enough stuff will never buy anything... More people publically complain then commend.

I had trouble for about 3 months right after I bought it but nothing I have owned pulls as hard and has been as reliable since... If you do your proper maint as specified in the manual, it should be reliable. People who "hotrod" them or dont follow maintenance routines have trouble

Pulls like crazy STOCK. (10,000 pounds routinely). Just finished a trip towing a 32 foot enclosed trailer loaded up to the max; ATV in the bed (8 hours each way going 70 plus with an average of 12 mpg - including air on heading home in 95 degree temps though rush hour traffic on Mem Day) As a daily driver I get 20 (Which really ticks off my wife since her Subaru gets terrible mileage)

For those who dont know the short hand, I have a 2005 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab (4 door), with the 8 foot box and a 6.0 Diesel. I bought my 05 F250 for 1/2 of bluebook price because they have a bad rep. (and I didnt mention it came loaded: Leather, sunroof, 4x4, tint, brake controller, CB, power seats, etc, etc, etc)

cj

Huskie05
06-02-2011, 10:13 PM
My ex has an 08 tahoe ltz. It pulls a lot nicer and has more power.

Kinda thinking keep my worn out truck and get a tahoe or avalanche. My new vehicle will be a work vehicle for me and needs to be nice. A 3/4 ton is not a vehicle to show up to someones house and take care of their insurance and investments.

I don't know about that, to me that speaks volumes that you are taking care of your money and spending it wisely. My finance guy is not a flashy guy, kind of like thatů..

Kyle
06-02-2011, 10:56 PM
I don't know about that, to me that speaks volumes that you are taking care of your money and spending it wisely. My finance guy is not a flashy guy, kind of like thatů..

My clients are all 65+. I don't know what opinions that they will create with a 3/4 ton or a tahoe.

Kyle
06-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Whatever I get will have leather. I hate cloth. Cloth collects lint like crazy. I wear slacks and dress clothes often. My previous truck had cloth and it always looked like I had walked through a dog kennel before appointments. Leather is easier to keep IMO. Yes it's hot or cold but that doesn't phase me. I love my leather now and will continue to have leather.

Thrall
06-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Lay off the 6.0 and 6.4 Ford diesels. 6.4's seem reliable enough, but abysmal fuel mileage.
Other than that I got nothin. So you're between an Infiniti, Bimmer, Avy, Tahoe or 3/4 ton diesel?
Personally I'd roll a Dmax or Cummins powered truck. Get the Dmax if you don't want to sound like Billy Bob pulling up to your clients' homes, or get a half ton and the first time you roast teh trans get it built for extra hp and you'll be set (same with the diesel btw once you get the diesel bug and chip it, say goodbye to your auto trans if your're beatin on it alot).

Kyle
06-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Thrall you hit it right on the head with the "Billy Bob" comment. Yes I have some hick clients that would think it would be cool but the majority would think it's loud and obnoxious.

If I had a challenger it would be loud and lope.

An f250 would be chipped and exhaust with cold air

Leaning towards no car. Cars suck to me but gas mileage is better. I feel cooped up in a car.

Thrall
06-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Challenger SRT 8 is pretty much tops on my wishlist of cars. Wouldn't exude the businessman image though!
Kinda fun watching poeple stare when my wife rolls up to drop off the kids in her straight piped black Dodge Mega Cab and rolls a little coal on the way out amidst all the soccer moms in their Vulva station wagons though!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-03-2011, 09:13 AM
How much are you looking to spend? LTZ are msrp in the 50's and the tx editions w/leather are in the 40's, wanna come to houston my chevy store has about 15-20 tahoes...

JulioX2
06-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Cadillac Escalade EXT. Fancier version of the avalanche you already have. Comes with the 6.2, 409hp. I have the SUV version and it hauls pretty good. The air suspension is awesome for towing, and can't beat the air cooled seats.

FourFourty
06-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Cadillac Escalade EXT. Fancier version of the avalanche you already have. Comes with the 6.2, 409hp. I have the SUV version and it hauls pretty good. The air suspension is awesome for towing, and can't beat the air cooled seats.

The problem with the cadillac is that it costs way too much to own compared to similar vehicles. A prime example would be the Sierra Denali... Same 6.2l engine, same heated and cooled leather etc etc.... Every option you can get in a Escalade, can be had in a Sierra Denali except HID headlamps. Which you can have installed for less than $500.00. The sierra is also a lot more capable for towing and has a larger bed. And the best part is that the Sierra Denali costs $20k less than the Escalade EXT. I dont understand how GM can justify a 20k upcharge for that..... Not to mention that the Caddy will depreciate a lot worse.

That being said, the EXT is a very nice ride.

When you are talking the SUV version of the Escalade, that is a different story. The SUV is not priced too far out of this world compared to the competition. The EXT, however, is.

strad
06-03-2011, 10:24 AM
You talked about a bimmer. I own three of them currently -- two are two door. Actually I'm looking to get an SUV so I can eventually get a MC to tow with it. ;) With the business I've recently gotten into (residential property management) I do get occasional remarks about the cars that lead me to believe that they might not be the best image to project in that and other businesses. They're not negative remarks per se, but they're the type of thing somebody might say who thinks a bimmer is an expensive car with a high cost of continued ownership. For the record, the youngest of mine is 14 years old (and I maintain them myself and save a lot of money), but you wouldn't know that by looking at condition, and neither do my tenants or prospective tenants. So I'd say, especially if you are an investments guy with older, conservative clients and the vehicle will be your work vehicle, the bimmer image is one I would try to avoid, b/c it's not a conservative image, and that could tick off some of your clients.

DooSPX
06-03-2011, 10:30 AM
^^

That is true, but I get comments when I roll up to clients in my 06 15K Chevy Cobalt more then in my 35K 04 GMC Sierra SLT. Go figure... I actually had one guy ask if he was paying for my "new" (3 years old then) Cobalt, I then asked him, "What do you want me to drive? A car that might break down on my way here so you will be stuck on your computer?" He shut up after that.

You cannot please everyone.

Rockman
06-03-2011, 01:04 PM
My clients are all 65+. I don't know what opinions that they will create with a 3/4 ton or a tahoe.

Then you should buy a Buick or Town Car. You would fit in perfect with your clients!8p

Huskie05
06-03-2011, 01:25 PM
^^

That is true, but I get comments when I roll up to clients in my 06 15K Chevy Cobalt more then in my 35K 04 GMC Sierra SLT. Go figure... I actually had one guy ask if he was paying for my "new" (3 years old then) Cobalt, I then asked him, "What do you want me to drive? A car that might break down on my way here so you will be stuck on your computer?" He shut up after that.

You cannot please everyone.

I would have said of course not, you are paying for my 911 Turbo at home.

bobx1
06-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Two options as far as I can see:

#1 - (already suggested). F150, Ecoboost, King Ranch, Crew, 4x4. You are from Texas and showing up to an appointment in a very nice pickup speaks volumes more than showing up in a BMW. Being from the South, I would rather buy from a guy in a King Ranch than a guy in a BMW - and yes, I have owned a BMW and my wife drives nothing but Audi's (currently A5 - the two door coupe). The Stanford Group (Investment people that are either in jail or going to jail) guys all drove BMW and Mercedes and you dont want to look like them - they were from Texas.

#2 - Keep the old truck for hauling tools and junk around and get an SUV

The only wrench you through into the mix is the big boats. So if you are going to haul big boats long distances in hilly terrain then you really need 3/4 or 1 ton diesel but those things are not easy to manuever and park so if you are doing a lot of work in the city then that is an issue.

JulioX2
06-03-2011, 01:43 PM
The problem with the cadillac is that it costs way too much to own compared to similar vehicles. A prime example would be the Sierra Denali... Same 6.2l engine, same heated and cooled leather etc etc.... Every option you can get in a Escalade, can be had in a Sierra Denali except HID headlamps. Which you can have installed for less than $500.00. The sierra is also a lot more capable for towing and has a larger bed. And the best part is that the Sierra Denali costs $20k less than the Escalade EXT. I dont understand how GM can justify a 20k upcharge for that..... Not to mention that the Caddy will depreciate a lot worse.

That being said, the EXT is a very nice ride.

When you are talking the SUV version of the Escalade, that is a different story. The SUV is not priced too far out of this world compared to the competition. The EXT, however, is.

You have some good points. But I was talking about buying a low mileage used one. There's tons of them out there. And the Sierra Denali is a great option too. The OP just mentioned he liked the bed storage of his avalanche, which the EXT also has.

Buying anything brand new that's domestic will greatly depriciate. Especially up here in the north.

stu272
06-03-2011, 01:53 PM
I have a 2000 suburban 1500 4x4 with the 5.3 liter 410 gears with auto ride. I towed a Baja 272 for 7 years and now a X-45. Just turned 175,000 and run great. Oil changed every 3000-4000 miles trans flushed every 30,000-40,000 all original. Maintenance is the key.

FourFourty
06-03-2011, 01:58 PM
You have some good points. But I was talking about buying a low mileage used one. There's tons of them out there. And the Sierra Denali is a great option too. The OP just mentioned he liked the bed storage of his avalanche, which the EXT also has.

Buying anything brand new that's domestic will greatly depriciate. Especially up here in the north.

Ya, Buying a used EXT is another story, and a very good option. And the bed storage is certainly a bonus.

As far as depreciation of domestic trucks- I have been very surprised lately. The used truck market seems very strong. I purchased my 08 Sierra Denali in sept 07. I put 86k miles on it by the time I traded in Nov 2010. I was offered $28,700.00 at one dealer and $30,050 at another.......For a truck that cost me $42k brand new. I walked in expecting the same old "Those things are a rock, we can only give you $18k" story that I have grown accustomed to in the past.... I was very happy that it only cost me 4k per year to own that truck. The last one cost me around 7k per year for 3 years of ownership.

I was looking at prices on a lot of used trucks out there....They are very high right now.

DooSPX
06-03-2011, 02:00 PM
I would have said of course not, you are paying for my 911 Turbo at home.

Com' On! Get it right! I would have said "You're paying for my GT3R 911 Turbo"
LMAO!!

Jerseydave
06-03-2011, 02:10 PM
I have an '07 GMC Yukon XL Denali....great vehicle, tows well but mpg is not so good. (10 towing hwy, 15-16 solo hwy). If Gm made a DuraMax suburban I would buy one today.

Have you seen the new GMC Denali pickup with the Duramax/Allison trans? Sweet truck!
4 door, short bed and you could install a locking fiberglass lid for it to keep your items secure. From the front it looks like a Yukon Denali, and it has all the luxury items of one.
I priced it out at around $50K with all the options, plus you're using it for work (at least part of the time) so if you're self-employed it's a partial business deduction for you.

http://www.gmc.com/sierra/denali.html

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Being in the car business used prices are very strong right now, if your going to buy a 2 or 3 yr old vehicle especially a truck your best buy would be to get a new one with the high new inventory, and high fuel prices with the factory incentives only way to go right now in the current economy...

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Com' On! Get it right! I would have said "You're paying for my GT3R 911 Turbo"
LMAO!!

I would have said, your paying for my new Mastercraft...

DooSPX
06-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Most of my clients (and many in my whole county) do not even know what a MasterCraft is!

Kyle
06-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Being in the car business used prices are very strong right now, if your going to buy a 2 or 3 yr old vehicle especially a truck your best buy would be to get a new one with the high new inventory, and high fuel prices with the factory incentives only way to go right now in the current economy...

Why is it better to buy a new truck. I was looking for 08 or 09 tahoe or avalanche. Even considered 1/2 ton Trucks too.

I have always bought used as they are not half used up but the price is close to being in half.

I guess I'm not understanding or just not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Used prices are up right now, so looking at the bottom line with incentives and the such you probably would get a better deal going new as of right now, If you can find a motivated used seller then great...

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-03-2011, 03:52 PM
I would agree with you a few years ago but not today, ie when I bought my 06 f150 lariat in 08 I paid 20k out the door for a 45k truck with 18k miles, used prices are crazy high right now so it would make sence to go new unless you can find a smoking deal for used, I just dont think you'll find a good deal at a car lot right now, unless you know somebody, your best bet it to find a motivated individual seller... New trucks, suv's just aren't selling right now so they would be more willing to give a better deal for new than used...

sand2snow22
06-03-2011, 04:08 PM
^ You are correct. I've heard used car prices have actually gone up recently, first time in a long time. Used boat prices are out of control, too!