PDA

View Full Version : sound system question

davidstan
06-02-2011, 12:05 PM
I have a JL speaker system w/ the clarion head unit that came with a lot of the 08 x series models. Amp for tower spkr and amp for 4 inside speakers. All is fine most of the time with the sound but occaisionally i will get scratchy static out of all speakers when one of 2 things happen. Whenever i turn on the blower or anc lights or whenever i accelarate hard then slow down abruptly. Its annoying and i wondered if anyone else has had this happen. Only thing i can see is up in the ski storage area port side is a thin black wire hanging down from the conduit unattached that carries the cables around the bow area. If i turn off the boat and restart it (static) goes away.

Viper896
06-02-2011, 12:26 PM
It sounds to be either a grounding issue. Make sure your AMP's and Headunit are both grounded well. Or you could experiencing something called Alternator whine. Make sure your RCA cables are far enough away from any power cables, as you can get interference from them.

davidstan
06-02-2011, 12:33 PM
It sounds to be either a grounding issue. Make sure your AMP's and Headunit are both grounded well. Or you could experiencing something called Alternator whine. Make sure your RCA cables are far enough away from any power cables, as you can get interference from them.
It will vary in sound with accelaration of the boat so i will check the cables.

Viper896
06-02-2011, 03:38 PM
When you accelerate, your alternator might be pushing more juice increasing the need for a better ground. I'm almost positive your issue lies somewhere in your cables. Just a matter of which ones.

Thrall
06-03-2011, 12:46 AM
Tracing bad grounds can be cumbersome, but seeing as it happens to ALL of the speakers start with the wiring that feeds the amps power.
And as mentioned, ck that the speaker wires and RCA cables aren't running tight and parallel with electrical wires. Bad ground jacket on a RCA cable is possible, but not likely in your case because it would only cause static in the affected speakers.
It will be a simple fix once you find it though. And make sure the grounds to the amps are of the same capacity as the + leads.
If you have the typical MC setup where they cram all the + and - wires onto the same battery terminal start there and get everything tightened up. Preferrably use distribution blocks to ensure good clean adequate connections to every load.

krutzmart
06-08-2011, 03:06 PM
I had a ipod hooked up and just because the ipod cable was close to my amps I had the static. I drilled a hole in the back of my glove box and relocated ipod cable right from head unit into glove box. NO STATIC. RCA cables need to be away from power cables, they pick it up.
GOOD LUCK

davidstan
06-08-2011, 04:16 PM
My issue only happens with the cd player and ipod, no issue when i have the radio on. Also, dumb question but where do i find the RCA wires on an x2?

krutzmart
06-08-2011, 04:40 PM
RCA's come out from behind head or source unit. Are your amps right below glove box like almost all boats ? Try to zip tie all of you wires coming out of head unit away from power wires to amps.
Get them as far away as possible.
Next. Trace you remote wires to dash. It will probally go under floor over to drivers side and come up to dash remote. Make sure the remote wires are not in close to powere wires or it will pick up the distortion you are talking about

krutzmart
06-08-2011, 04:43 PM
It's sounds like it may be remote wire. Do you have a transom remote ?

davidstan
06-08-2011, 05:40 PM
no i just have the dash remote but i will trace all these wires/cables this weekend and get them segregated. Looks like someone got every cable and ran them thru the same conduit out of the head unit. Thanks for your help it is greatly appreciated.

davidstan
06-12-2011, 07:59 PM
It's sounds like it may be remote wire. Do you have a transom remote ?
I completed my project of separating the power cables with the other wires under the glove box and still have the squeal/screech when I turn on another electrical assessory on like the ANC lights or blower. Check the amp grounds and they are plugged in ok. All the ground leads at the engine power plate are connected and clean. This is so frustrating I can't tell you. I will try to disconnect the dash remote and see what happens. Let me know if I am missing something pls.

davidstan
06-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Update. I found that the screeching is only coming from the 4 inside speakers not the tower. So the amp for the tower is good? Also the only time i can get the screech is when the engine is on. It will not occur when in accesory mode. Others here are having a similar problem so if a sound guru has a suggestion that would be great.

lawdogg149
06-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Frequency interference from the ipod or iphone. Mine does the same thing. last week we had like 8 Iphones in the box and it was horrible,

Viper896
06-17-2011, 12:10 PM
That eliminates, your Tower amp and it's wiring. I'm assuming your boat has a seperate amp for your speakers inside the boat, yes? Unplug all your speakers from that amp, turn on your stereo, then plug your speakers in 1 at a time. I'm thinking maybe one of your speakers is shorting. Also double check the ground on that amp, make sure that it is NOT piggy backed with ground of the other amp. If it is, ground it directly to boat.