PDA

View Full Version : Styles of teak platforms

wheelerd
06-02-2011, 02:49 AM
Some MC boats have solid teak swim platforms (like my X5), others have the open type with spaces in between the slats. Any functional reason for the difference or simply a change in style?
Just curious.

JohnE
06-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Not sure why they changed. But I remember reading from one member here how his finger got stuck in the open style platform and almost was ripped off.

JeromeM
06-02-2011, 12:17 PM
I would imagine that one could just buy some teak wood and create another platform, right?

I have the open style on my 00 PS205 but it's rather small, it would be awesome to make a slightly larger closed platform like I see on the newer boats.

chawk610
06-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Sure you could... but "they" get an arm and a leg for teak!!! It's a cool idea though!

JeromeM
06-02-2011, 12:20 PM
So I should just use pressure treated wood then? lol that would be funny actually.

Viper896
06-02-2011, 12:20 PM
I like my slotted platform. It allows my fins from my ski's and wakeboard to sit in the deck instead of scratching it. Then all I have to do is jump off the back and I'm GTG.

flipper
06-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Probably be cheaper and easier to buy one off craigslist or something, and we arrange the brackets to make it work.

JeromeM
06-02-2011, 12:25 PM
I personally rather have a Fiberglass one I think for functionality and then keep the Teak one for looks. I just wish the sloted Teak was bigger.

rspiecha
06-02-2011, 12:26 PM
I think they went to the solid style to reduce CO2 coming into the boat.

Rob

robin
06-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Mine use to have the slotted cheese grater style, but the we got tired of being slapped by the waves coming up through the slots when parked/ partying, so I re worked mine (with my dads carpentry skills)
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=34747

DooSPX
06-02-2011, 12:56 PM
I forgot about that thread! That's a great idea robin!!!

Ben
06-02-2011, 01:03 PM
I think I read somewhere the slots were removed to prevent teak surfing (hanging onto platform while boat is going).

I find the slots are nice and make for better grip for my feet vs. other boats with the flat ones, at least when the platform is wet. Also easier to grab when getting back on it.

The big flat ones do look a lot nicer though...

TxsRiverRat
06-02-2011, 01:07 PM
I think they went to the solid style to reduce CO2 coming into the boat.Rob

Lets go teak surfing! LOL

Thrall
06-03-2011, 12:54 AM
After experiencing all 3 styles, old style slats on my '96 and a 'glass and newly acquired teak deck for my 06, here's my take.
The old slat style beat the boat up less when taking rollers to the transom. Not as much uplift from the water, sure appears to be easier on the mounts and brackets. That said I haven't had the solid deck rip off of my 06, nor do you read about it happening, so they must mounted strong enough.
Fibergalss deck looks really cool and I like it, other than maint on it is worse (at least the black deck on mine). Was all scuffed up and oxidized at 50hrs when I bough the boat. Got it all fixed up right away, and 50hrs later it was scuffed up again. Break out the 1000grit and buffer again!
Teh teak deck looks great...classic and can be kept in reasonably good shape with an annual quick sanding job and some oil throughout the year.

gimmemoedmb
06-05-2011, 02:45 AM
Not sure why they changed. But I remember reading from one member here how his finger got stuck in the open style platform and almost was ripped off.

I got my big toe caught once when I was jumping off. It wasn't ripped off (I suppose it could've been???) but it was real painful. My teak and I are still tight though...

yippikaiyay
06-05-2011, 08:13 AM
I liked my old slotted platform, (1997) but I'm one of those guys who likes to keep the teak looking reasonably good for the season, and found maintaining it (brushing, cleaning) in between the stringers a pain.

Kyle
06-05-2011, 12:49 PM
I upgraded my platform. Bought it at teak world enterprises from Tommy nation. New platform, transom saver, and shipping to my house was all $290. It's cheaper to just buy from him.