PDA

View Full Version : New Owner of 96 Prostar 190 LT1

tideengineer
06-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Just bought a 1996 Prostar 190 LT1. Was hoping for advice on a few different issues...

1. Best looking/economical/functional wakeboard tower for novice wakeboarders...?
2. Any advice as far as standard operating procedure? What to beware of? Checklist before starting? Standard temp and oil pressure?
3. Need some advice on products to get oxidation off gelcoat?

Thanks in advance. I havent had an inboard in 10 years....the last I had was a 1979 Ski Nautigue with 351 Ford...sold that boat with 1200hrs. I am excited about this new boat with the Vette motor...my 14 year old is estatic...

robin
06-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Welcome aboard and congrats on your purchase!! a 96 with an lt1 is an awesome hull / engine combo to ski behind! There is plenty of great information like you've requested on this site, and a lot of people a lot smarter then me who will pipe up soon. We could use some pictures though.....

dietdewboy
06-02-2011, 07:16 AM
Welcome from a fellow 96 LT-1 owner. Check to see if the recall was done, there should be 2 small hoses running from the manifold area on top of the engine to the cylinder heads, 1 each. I'll try to snap a photo of mine later today so you can see what I mean.
I always let the boat idle for a minute or 2 after I give a pull to circulate water through the motor to help cool the heads. Most LT-1's came with aluminum cylinder heads and that seems to me the weak link, keeping them cool is important, so the idle trick really helps. Check the transmission cooler periodically for debris too, they seem to pick up a lot of junk.
Mine runs 160's temp wise with 40-60 psi on oil pressure.
Cant help you on the tower, I dont have one.
As far as removing oxidation, there are many options available, Autogeek.net has a lot of good information on the forums.
Enjoy the slalom wake, its arguably one of MasterCrafts best!

tideengineer
06-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks a bunch! I will try to post some pictures this weekend. I am excited and a little frightful at the same time!

Thrall
06-03-2011, 12:04 AM
One of the sharpest boats out there, congrats. I actually hated selling mine even though I was upgrading to an 06 X2.
Check out the search function for General Discussion here and the Maintenance threads as well. Tons of info on the engine, towers, oxidation removal etc. Congrats!

Thought I'd throw a couple pics up for you since you'll get yelled at anyway about not having pictures of your boat! hahaha

87MCProstar
06-03-2011, 08:06 AM
My dream boat when I upgrade from my 87.

tideengineer
06-06-2011, 02:28 PM
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc392/tideengineer/Andalusia-20110604-00005.jpg
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc392/tideengineer/Rosehill-Gantt-20110605-00007.jpg

tideengineer
06-06-2011, 02:29 PM
dang...trying to post some pics but can't get it to work...will try later...

Love the boat...worked 4 hours on outside saturday....spent 6 hours in water Sunday! Awesome...I love it...

Anyone tell me best place to buy a sending unit cause the gas guage aint workin'

Ski-me
06-06-2011, 02:48 PM

Love the boat...worked 4 hours on outside saturday....spent 6 hours in water Sunday! Awesome...I love it...

Anyone tell me best place to buy a sending unit cause the gas guage aint workin'

Take a look on top of the tank first. There are two adjusting screws on there that might need a little tweaking. Play around with them a bit and see if your gauge moves around first. Mine is not too accurate but does work.......

Edit:

Nice boat and colors by the way! Congrats!

BWB-745-
06-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Good looking boat and Roll Tide

Assuming your handle is an Alabama reference

tideengineer
06-06-2011, 09:39 PM
thats right...graduated engineering from bama

coz
06-06-2011, 10:00 PM

Congrats on the new ride and call these guys for the sending unit, tell them what boat you have and they'll square ya away. http://www.isspro.com/index.php

97Sammy
06-07-2011, 06:40 AM
I used 3m #1 compound with a variable speed buffing wheel. Easy to use and did wonders on the oxidation. Without having to worry about hurting the gelcoat.

tideengineer
06-07-2011, 09:39 AM
thanks for the help everyone. I took the sending unit out and apart last night and found both magents out of the float. The glue is drying right now and I'm going to test it here shortly....maybe save a few dollars. this forum is great.

tideengineer
06-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Update- Just put it back in boat and it's working!