PDA

View Full Version : speakers

Scott S
06-01-2011, 09:38 PM
I have a 2008 X14 with 2-factory JL speakers w/ tweaters on the tower, a sub behind the driver seat, and 4-factory JL in boat speakers w/ tweaters. Underneath the observer seat there are 2 amps. I am wanting to add a Wetsounds Pro 485 in the middle of the 2 outside tower speakers. I know absolutely nothing about speakers and amps, can I add the Pro 485 to the existing amps? If not what do if need to do, would like to have all of the parts before I seek install help. Thanks in advance.

iplount
06-02-2011, 12:53 AM
I don't know much about amps and speakers either. However I did just add two new JL tower speakers to my 2008 x15. One of the amps is what powers the two existing tower speakers it is a 2 channel amp. I am currently running all four from the 2 channel amp, it does work but as it gets louder it gets distorted. I have ordered a new 4 channel JL amp so that the speakers are powered by their own channel. I was able to find the previous 4 channel amp model jl m4500 for $299 on the jl site vs. the more recent m400/4 model which runs about $419 at various sites. Probably could have gone with a more powerful amp as the JL speaker can go up to 175 watts and the m4500 can go between 80 or 125 watts depending on the ohm setting. For the JL speakers I think I need to set at 80 watts per channel on the 4 ohm setting as the speakers I believe or 4 ohm rated speakers.

Sounds like you are adding a nice set of new speakers so probably will want a new amp to power them unless you already have the 4 channel amp installed. The smaller amp is the one for the tower speakers. You should see four wires hanging there by the amp towards the front of the boat which are connected up to the tower spots where the speaker cans would attach. At least this is how it is installed on my boat. Good luck.

Scott
06-02-2011, 02:34 AM
I would stick with two channel amps. I have a pair of 485's and have had a pair of pro 80's in the past. If you have the room, put a dedicated amp on the 485's, they like power. They will sound good , no matter what you put on them, but I have found, the more the merrier, on power. IMO:D

willyt
06-02-2011, 08:35 AM
i would urge you to reconsider... the 485 is going to be old technology in a few weeks since the revolution line is coming out. I would really take your current speakers off and throw a pair of rev 10's. IMO it would look weird to match stock and unstock tower speakers. I'm sure david will be around soon telling you they won't sum correctly, which is right, because there's 0 point of having the JL's up there if you have wetsounds

agarabaghi
06-02-2011, 09:00 AM
I have a 2008 X14 with 2-factory JL speakers w/ tweaters on the tower, a sub behind the driver seat, and 4-factory JL in boat speakers w/ tweaters. Underneath the observer seat there are 2 amps. I am wanting to add a Wetsounds Pro 485 in the middle of the 2 outside tower speakers. I know absolutely nothing about speakers and amps, can I add the Pro 485 to the existing amps? If not what do if need to do, would like to have all of the parts before I seek install help. Thanks in advance.

You will need a new amp for the pro 485. Im running a similar setup (4 JL speakers in the boat, sub woofer under the driver dash, pro 485 on the tower). I run everything off a WetSound Syn 6, but only because i needed a 4 channel amp + something for the tower. The sub runs off it's own sony marine amp.

Since you already have 2 amp, I would find out which of the 2 amps drives the cockpit speakers, sub and tower speakers. If you are lucky, 1 amp will run the 4 speakers + the sub, and then the other amp will run just the tower speakers. Find out the model of the amp if that is the case, and we can figure out if that amp is enough to run the wetsound 485. If not you can always sell em...

Scott S
06-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks guys, any more info yall can give will be great.

EarmarkMarine
06-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Scott S,
If you bridge any two channels of your existing factory installed amplifiers you will come up short for what the Pro485 deserves. The Pro485 is rated for 300 watts but will handle more. Plus, they will sound even better with more. You can bridge a JL Audio JX360.2 into 360 watts mono. And then you have a number of larger amplifier alternatives from Wetsounds and others. But before that I want to cover a few things.
Its a really bad idea to maintain the existing JL Audio 7.7s along side the Pro485. The JL 770is more of a SQ speaker. Yes, it should receive much more power than its getting now and can sound considerably better when properly powered. But even when correctly powered its not a high S.P.L. speaker and will get lost next to the Pro485. And if you try to gain it up to compete with the Pro485 then you will certainly lose the JL 770s. If you gain down the Pro485 to match the JL 770 then you are diminishing the benefits of the Pro485. In any case, mixing dissimilar speakers like this doesn't work out well. If its only a temporary measure until you replace the outside speakers then I understand.

David
Earmark Marine

Scott S
06-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Is the pro 485 that bad a$$?

Thrall
06-03-2011, 12:16 AM
It's pretty bad@ss and before you give up ship with your current JL's try upping the power to them. Haven't seen a MC yet with OEM amps that powered the JL's correctly. Even my buds new $100k+ X45 has cr@p for power to the JL's. Get them up to a solid 150W+ per speaker and see what you think. Can bridge 2 channels off of one of your current amps to each tower speaker and see how they sound then. Otherwise, there's lots of people willing to pay decent money for used MC/JL tower speakers and then you can build your own setup.

rgardjr1
06-03-2011, 12:19 AM
Is the pro 485 that bad a$$?

Pretty much. Lots of people run one Wetsounds Syn2 per Pro 485 around 700 watts. I have a pair of them and have been very happy with their performance.

Scott S
06-04-2011, 02:58 PM
still kinda confused on what to do or what the best option is. factory jl speakers and cans are so freakin exspensive. all i knows is there is room on the tower and i want more sound!

Thrall
06-04-2011, 06:29 PM
If you find 2 more used MC/JL setups and power them properly, 150W+/speaker, they will rip!
They won't project the sound to the rider as well as HLCD speakers, but I can hear my tunes pretty well at 70' out and they are LOUD in or near the boat and sound great.
2 options I see, provided you don't want to mix and match MC equipment and aftermarket, which you probably don't for acoustic reasons, as David said. 1 - get 2 more used MC/JL speakers. If you stay on top of searching, s/b able to find a pair for less than $1k. 2 - Sell the ones you have, you should be able to get $1k or close to that for them and set yourself up an aftermarket system, HLCD if your primary purpose is hearing tunes at the end of the rope, or conventional speakers otherwise. BTW Wetsounds new speakers, although HLCD are supposed to sound great up close as well.

Jerseydave
06-04-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm not a stereo expert but since my boat already had 4 JL tower speakers i decided to add more power to them. I had my stereo shop remove the 2-channel amp and replace it with a Sony PDX-F6 (150W rms X 4) The tower speakers sound better than ever!

But, if I was in your shoes with only 2 tower speakers, I would have sold those JL's and purchased either Wetsounds or NVS tower speakers along with a more powerful amp.

Bottom line, money buys power and happiness! Do it right the first time!