PDA

View Full Version : Moved to Atlanta from Australia

Tags
06-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Hey guys,

Well, its been awhile but i'm back, kinda. We've made the move from Perth, Western Australia to Atlanta, GA. I posted something about it on here awhile ago but together with work, organising the move for my family i havent had a chance to even log in and say hello. I've been here about 4 months but my wife and daughter only 6 weeks.

I'm looking for advice, we are in an apartment that work put me up in when i first arrived which is in Dunwoody. The apartment is ok but its small and i am going stir crazy. We were originally going to look at rentals in Roswell but after spending the weekend at a friends place on Lake Norman we thought we might give Lake Lanier a try. We have no idea on the suburbs or areas around lake lanier and if we were to move there then we'd want something on the lake with a dock. Obviously price comes into it but we're not too picky on the house or land just that its on the lake and has a dock.

We'd like to be able to meet people and make friends which has been hard living in an apartment, everyone else in the complex isnt very social.Oh and for now schools arent that important. My daughter is only just over 1 year so we dont really need to think about that for another few.

Thanks guys.

Mike

Trig2275
06-01-2011, 07:45 PM
A few of us live in A neighborhood near Lake Allatoona called Bridgemill. Allatoona isn't as big or nice as Lanier but it's not as crowded either. Swim, golf, tennis community so plenty of socialization if you want. 1 mile from the lake so the lake front with a dock is out but the marina does a great job and there are tons of deals there and neighborhoods near by.

Tags
06-01-2011, 08:02 PM
how far is Lake Allatoona from Atlanta? I'll check it out. Thanks

atlps190
06-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Here's our weekend place...

http://www.lakearrowheadga.com

Full time in Roswell.

Be happy to show you and the family around either place.

-Todd

Tags
06-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Looks like a great place.

We'd really appreciate that. I'll PM you my email address.

Mike

Trig2275
06-01-2011, 08:23 PM
It's about 35 miles or so all highway where we live which is Canton. Lake Allatoona spans east to west from Woodstock / Canton to Acworth. Acworth may be a little closer to Atlanta but it would be a longer commute due to traffic. From my house to Buckhead is a 30 minute drive NOT in rush hour traffic. Acworth is where the PWT just stopped. Tons of foreclosure opportunities in Bridgemill and Towne Lake. We usually ride in the morning and are the only boat on the lake with the exception of a bass boat or two. Sunday mornings are even good. The afternoon gets a little rough but what lake doesn't on the weekends. Lake Lanier on a Sunday looks like the scene from Police Academy with boats and jet skis going in all directions.

TN X-45
06-01-2011, 08:24 PM
TAGS - +1 for Bridgemill - I live there too and know TRIG. 10 minute drive to lake and LOTS of kids and families. Give it a serious look.

Tags
06-01-2011, 08:33 PM
we'll definitely check it out.
What type of boat is considered too big for Allatoona?

Stars & Stripes
06-02-2011, 11:28 AM
I live in Cartersville which is right past Acworth. Any boat will work on Allatoona. We used to have a Stars and Stripes but now have an X45 and they both work fine.

davidstan
06-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Lanier and Alatoona are beautiful lakes but you might also consider outside ATL lakes like Wedowee just over the line in AL about 1:40 drive. Have a 2nd home there and is very uncongested but is a bit of a drive. Welcome to Atlanta!

timvan
06-03-2011, 06:40 AM
There is also Bentwater (my hood) and Seven Hills in Acworth, 10min from the lake and also same type of nhood as Bridgemill... not sure we have the same swingers community though :)