PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Prostar 205

tjuggy
06-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Just had a couple of quick questions I am going to look at a 1996 prostar 205 in the morning and I was just going to confirm a couple of things

This boat should have a fuel injected 350?

This boat should be the newer hull?

thanks for the info. If anyone can think of anything else I might want to look for please let me know.

DooSPX
06-01-2011, 06:42 PM
all MC's from 1994 to present are all EFI GM Small blocks except for the 8.1L 496. 1993 was optioned with the EFI LT1.
the 96 is the second generation hull design on the 205. Its a great boat! If its in good shape, decent hours, and maintained well, buy that sucker!

ski/hunt
06-01-2011, 06:59 PM
I have a 96 205 and love it!! Starting our second season, put 102 hrs. on it in our first season. Yes the standard motor is a fuel injected 350. They offered a Lt1 (corvette motor) and the power slot transmission as upgrade. That hull was the 2nd. generation 205. (some argue the best ever for an open bow). Has an awesome ski wake and intermediate wakeboard wake, with added weight it gets better I have seen people surf it with proper added weight also. Very solid boat---when we were shopping for ours they sold fast....I called the morning the listing came out, drove 3 hrs. that morning to go see it, by the time I got there the po had received 6 more calls!! Good luck---enjoy if you grab it!

tjuggy
06-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Its got 500 hours on and when I talked to him today we agreed on 14,800

DooSPX
06-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Try to get more info from the owner... how it was maintained, condition of the gelcoat and interior. what engine and transmission options. get some pics to post on here so we can help you.

ski/hunt
06-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Is there a tower? Bimini? Tunes? How's the trailer? We don't like the tower ours came with but it is functional. Boat trailers get neglected so the only money I've put into ours is brakes and the bunks are next on the list. Does it have perfect pass?? If yes the the price is about right considering interior is ok and gel is good. We got ours at 13000$ with 518 hrs. I live in the land of mastercrafts so that may have a price affect??

tjuggy
06-01-2011, 09:43 PM
no tower, no perfect pass, nothing special but the boat appears to be very clean and well maintained it's posted on craigslist in atlanta and he sent me a few pictures. I have looked all over the place and can't find another one and I wanted the 96 model for the deeper wider hull.

DooSPX
06-01-2011, 09:52 PM
post the pictures...
can the owner provide maintenance records?
Engine? standard TBI 350 or LT1 MPEFI ? Powerslot transmission (1.5:1) or just the 1:1?

supturb89
06-02-2011, 08:19 AM
I saw the ad on Craigslist and if everything checks out buy it. Sounds like it has been well taken care of. You won't regret it. I bought mine for considerably less, but it had twice the hours and needed a little tlc.

Jorski
06-02-2011, 10:03 AM
One hint: if the interior is shot...that could run anywhere from $1,000 to $3,500 depending who does it and what it needs.

DooSPX
06-02-2011, 11:38 AM
One hint: if the interior is shot...that could run anywhere from $1,000 to $3,500 depending who does it and what it needs.

good point Jorski !

Thrall
06-03-2011, 12:13 AM

ANd if the intereior is in good shape, it should last for many years to come.
My '96, the vinyl held up great and was almost perfect when I sold it in 09. I bet it had another 5-10years of life left in it easily if still taken care of. Only thing that was splitting was some stitching on the back seat where it got stepped on constantly.
Way better quality vinyl than some of the early 2000's models.

tjuggy
06-03-2011, 12:12 PM
well I bought it, the interior was perfect, it ran good, the trailer was in good shape, and overall it had been very well taken care of and he had all of the origional paperwork on it. so maybe I didn't get hurt.

I guess my next step is a tower I know I want a new demension tower but I can get a lot more with my money if I buy somthing else.

can yall post up some pics of what towers you have and your thoughts on them.

ttu
06-03-2011, 12:14 PM
congrats! make sure you post pics soooooon!

DooSPX
06-03-2011, 02:06 PM
I would save your pennies for the new dimension tower. You will not find another tower with the factory look, and fit and finish of the ND towers.

JeromeM
06-03-2011, 02:10 PM
I will give my advice, I have a 99 PS 205, I didn't like the look of the ND tower, so I decided to get a Roswell Area 51 which is a nice looking tower. HOWEVER, it doesn't "fit" the boat very well so as a result it looks worse then a proper fitting ND tower would look.

I would get the ND tower.

supturb89
06-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Post some pics when you get a chance. I agree with everyone else about the tower. When I first got mine last fall I was dead set on a tower and had decided on a ND. After having the boat all winter I decided against the tower because I love the lines of my boat without it. Everyone has their preference. So far I am really into slalom, but I have some friends and family that like to board so I will probably end up getting a fly high pylon. I think they look pretty cool with the bimini and board racks. I saw a pic of a red and white 190 on here with this exact setup that looked sick!!

mrprostar
06-03-2011, 02:32 PM
I like the functionality of the Monster Tower, but not too fond of the way it looks. I've never had anything to compare it to, but it folds easily and is rock solid.

Jorski
06-03-2011, 02:41 PM
well I bought it, the interior was perfect, it ran good, the trailer was in good shape, and overall it had been very well taken care of and he had all of the origional paperwork on it. so maybe I didn't get hurt.

Sounds like you did great!

You will have a blast with that boat. Congrats!:D