PDA

View Full Version : Some water in mid bilge.

skongolf
06-01-2011, 06:04 PM
When I was out this weekend I had some water in the mid boat bilge area(not sure of the technical term, but it is where the mid boat drain plug goes) Anyway, I noticed it pretty much right after we put in, and it was about 1" to 2" deep, it never cane close to covering the plug. Anyway, there was a little bit of an oily film on top and I also checked to see if the water had an odor or was discolored. It had neither. Just curious what causes this or if it's normal. If not, what do I check first. This is the second time out this season and it happened both times. The way the bunks are on my trailer prevents me from doing a fake a lake. Oh, it's a 2001 x30 with the ltr motor. Thanks again.

Brian B
06-01-2011, 07:36 PM
I have always had water in there, but I dont know how long my ski locker ballast has been leaking either. Could have very well been from there. I'll know next time I go out!

TN X-45
06-01-2011, 09:27 PM
skon - same problem here. I figure it has to be the ballast system but not totally sure. Thought it might be the bow eye but it fills minimally as soon as it hits the water, so I dont think that is the case. Let me know what you figure out!

skongolf
06-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Yeah, it was empty when i put in, and I didn't fill my ballast, but next time out I will check.

Brian B
06-01-2011, 09:32 PM
I recently had a ballast fitting on the sack break. I took the sack out for my last trip. I noticed the auto bilge was working more than usual so I opened the locker and looked in to find that the fill line was steady puring water into the bilge. I forgot to turn the valve off on the transom and water began to siphon through the system and into the ski locker. If you have a bad fitting, or a leak here, it can and will siphon water without ever being engaged....

bobx1
06-02-2011, 12:49 PM
I had water in mine (07 X1) and after getting frustrated, I performed a few simple tests:

1 - In my driveway and while on the trailer, I put the plugs in and put some water in the boat while the bilge was dry and crawled under the trailer and did not see any leaks. Dont put too much water in there (maybe a couple of inches) and make sure the boat is level.

2 - I then put the boat in the water (at the launch) on the trailer and let it sit (no, the ramp was not busy) and no water was coming in.

3 - I then started the boat and let it run while in the water and no leaks.

4 - I then filled the ballast tanks and no leaks.

5 - I then ran the boat and constantly checked for leaks. No water.

As an aside (yours appears to be leaking right away so this is not applicable to your situation since yours happens right away), after a day of wakeboarding, you guessed it - water in the bilge. My conclusion was the water was coming from people getting in/out of the boat while dripping wet (they now stand on the teak platform and dry off) and it has reduced the water in my bilge. Also, I tie off/dock with the bow faciing out and the rollers hit my bulkhead then splash back to the rear of the boat which then splashes water between the space between my teak platform and the hull which then soaks my sunpad and that water leaks into the bilge. I now put a noodle in that space when I dock.

I also had oily residue but figured that came from the last time they did an oil/filter change because it cleared up after a few hull flushes.