PDA

View Full Version : Fogging Engine?

Ski-me
06-01-2011, 03:20 PM
We are looking at a Cobalt 202cs (inboard ski boat) and one of the comments the owner said was "fog cylinders needing to be re-greased".

Any idea what this means?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Sounds like it is locked up to me...

Ski-me
06-01-2011, 03:25 PM
They test drove it yesterday and it ran smooth. A potential buyer brought the boat into the Cobalt dealer and they gave this comment. Just don't really understand it.

1999, Scorpion 330 HP engine. Has about 150 hrs on it.

When I hear "fogging" I think winterizing the boat.

flipper
06-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Sounds like FOG is either an abbreviation for something, or a typo not related to fogging the engine.

TxsRiverRat
06-01-2011, 03:34 PM
TWhen I hear "fogging" I think winterizing the boat.

Maybe the boat was infested with roaches and they're bombing it

DooSPX
06-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Um... why you looking at the inboard cobalt?

Ski-me
06-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Um... why you looking at the inboard cobalt?

For sister-in-law and her 4 kids. Need a good, reliable boat. Still keeping my 94' 205 for sure!

I've been looking for 2000 MC 205's but ran across this one in Seattle. It's in excellent shape and a very solid boat. Low hours and interior is almost new. $17k total.

Prostar205 & Thrall have helped me over the past few weeks....

Ski-me
06-01-2011, 03:44 PM
a few pics.....

pmkkdx
06-01-2011, 03:45 PM
hmmm ... I have heard of fogging the engine for winterizing or if it's going to be sitting a long time without starting ... which basically lubricates the cylinder walls, pistons, valves, etc. ... preventing rust or corrosion.

also, I have bought old engines from wrecking yards that I would set up on an engine stand which I would fog before cranking since I didn't know how long it had been sitting, water internal, etc. to lubricate the internal portions prior to starting or tearing into.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-01-2011, 03:49 PM
If its already been ran and their saying cylinders need to be lubricated because it was fogged sounds like that dealer is trying to make something up and rip somebody off...

Jim@BAWS
06-01-2011, 03:50 PM
a few pics.....

Looks like a HYBRID 1998-2000 PS 190 revamped as an openbow

Did not know Cobalt made an inboard

Jim

Ski-me
06-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Looks like a HYBRID 1998-2000 PS 190 revamped as an openbow

Did not know Cobalt made an inboard

Jim

Only made it for 2 years. 1998 and 1999. Bought the Hydrodyne mold and then put their stuff in it.

They also made a closed bow version, too.

Thrall
06-03-2011, 01:33 AM
We are looking at a Cobalt 202cs (inboard ski boat)

Again??
Same boat didn't sell or a different one?
No idea about the fog thing. Sounds like a bunch of bull.....
Fog the cyl for the winter (crap I may have to start doing that now up in this rainy @ss place!), fire it up in the spring and fumigate all the bugs. Only 3 spots on the boat even needing grease would be the trailer bearings, steering rack and rudder right?

Ski-me
06-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Yea, same boat. He had another buyer come in and was trying to buy for his son. Wanted to get his son a Wakeboarding boat....which this is NOT! Sounded like Ritchie Rich buying for son. It doesn't even have a tower!?!?

Anyways, seller called us back and asked if she was still interested. So we went through the whole evaluation again. Fortunately, Ritchie brought it to the Cobalt dealer for evaluation and with the help of Prostar205, we were able to determine the overall condition. Sounds good, a few maintenance items but nothing major. Found brother-in-law test it last Tuesday and she pulled the trigger yesterday.

Had a ding in the prop so dropped the price just a bit more. I'll look at it but the tester didn't feel any vibration at all. She will eventually pull it back to Billings, MT to use but will spend some time over in the CDA area this summer. I'm going to put PP in it and get her a boom bar. Kids are excited for sure!

I remember having the engine fogged over there on some older boats. I assume this was being done here in Colorado but maybe it's just in the wetter climate areas.

Believe it or not but the seller never even skied behind the boat! Crazy! Just pulled tubes and drove around Lake Washington.

I was really looking for the 2000 MC 205 but the interior problem really made me concerned she would eventually have to deal with it during her ownership. Would have loved to get her a MC but also want the hassle factor as minimal as possible. Widowed mother with 4 kids running my brother's old business. Great women for sure!

Hope things are going well for you in Seattle. Did you find a house yet?

Thrall
06-04-2011, 02:22 AM
Yeah found a bad@ss place on 5 acres with a shop big enough to back the boat in without dropping the tower or dismantling the thing to close the door! Appears to have an elk/ bear problem..........awesome! Back fence is thrashed at game trails and the kid who did some painting this spring found a 9pt elk shed in the yard! And it's only 30 min to Tacoma, 50 to Seattle. Auburn/Black Diamond. We're pumped about it!
Great that you found a boat for your sis in law, looks like a beaut!
Back east I used to fog everyting in the off season after a seized up mower one year. Quit doing it after the first summer in CO, but on the sleds I still hold the oil injector wfo for a few minutes before I put them up.....just because I guess.