PDA

View Full Version : Need guide pole covers

skierdan
06-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Hello all,
I need those soft guide pole covers for my trailer, where do you recommend I get them from? are they a "dealer only" purchase or is there any places you recommend,

thanks

Dan

94 PS205 LT1

agarabaghi
06-01-2011, 11:01 AM
http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2246

EWood1326
06-01-2011, 11:04 AM
on the mastercraft by design they have them as well

flipper
06-01-2011, 11:04 AM
You can get them from almost any boat shop, or you can get the MC ones here. (http://www.mastercraftbydesign.com/index_835.asp)

east tx skier
06-01-2011, 11:56 AM
I'd suggest looking for a set on ebay that have no lettering on them. You still have a wide choice of colors. The lettering will rub off and leave white marks on your rub rail.

My next set will be the sunbrella covers from Brenda at In Tow (http://www.jlbmfg.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page1.html)

SS LS1
06-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Sorry to threadjack but it looks like you have several answers already… I have to ask seriously, what is point to the covers? Looks only or is there some other benefit? Our last 2 MC trailers had black pvc like plastic covers that rolled with contact of the rub rails leaving no damage to them. So I guess I never saw a need for them, but maybe over time the plastic sleeves break down and you need something else to protect the rub rail from the steel tubing underneath? If there is a good reason for them please educate me. Thanks! :)

nickespi
06-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Biggest issue with not putting covers on is you can hit the boat on the weld that protrudes at the bottom of the guide. I learned this first hand. Luckily the sticker took the hit, but now has to be removed. Go with Bakes heavy-duty version. I have them and the quality is good.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-01-2011, 01:58 PM
I just ordered a set from mbd

SS LS1
06-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Biggest issue with not putting covers on is you can hit the boat on the weld that protrudes at the bottom of the guide. I learned this first hand. Luckily the sticker took the hit, but now has to be removed. Go with Bakes heavy-duty version. I have them and the quality is good.

Ah, I see now, thanks for the info and not ridiculing me for asking. So wouldn't just a piece of water pipe insulation slid down over the base weld solve this problem for much less?

DemolitionMan
06-01-2011, 05:22 PM
I may have to get my wife to make me some out of sunbrella.

pmkkdx
06-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Ah, I see now, thanks for the info and not ridiculing me for asking. So wouldn't just a piece of water pipe insulation slid down over the base weld solve this problem for much less?

with my old '83 S&S, it had the PVC type with PVC cap you referred to earlier ... but the guide posts were straight allowing the PVC to go all the way down to the trailer deck (with an inch air gap on top of the metal guide post), if boat rubbed upon loading, the PVC would merely spin on the metal guide post ...

my current '04 X2 guide posts are not straight (have an outward angle at bottom then bend to vertical) due to the wider hull ... the PVC would bind up where the vertical transitions to the angle, therefore the fabric covered foam a/c type insulation is flexible enough to slide down and over the bend. I too was thinking of going back to the PVC type until I noticed the bend, since the foam a/c insulation seems to be degrading inside the fabric outer cover.

skierdan
06-01-2011, 05:39 PM
exactly, i just have black rubber poles that are not straight and i need something that can spin around the pole without rubbing the decals

thanks for all the replies

DemolitionMan
06-01-2011, 05:44 PM
with my old '83 S&S, it had the PVC type with PVC cap you referred to earlier ... but the guide posts were straight allowing the PVC to go all the way down to the trailer deck (with an inch air gap on top of the metal guide post), if boat rubbed upon loading, the PVC would merely spin on the metal guide post ...

my current '04 X2 guide posts are not straight (have an outward angle at bottom then bend to vertical) due to the wider hull ... the PVC would bind up where the vertical transitions to the angle, therefore the fabric covered foam a/c type insulation is flexible enough to slide down and over the bend. I too was thinking of going back to the PVC type until I noticed the bend, since the foam a/c insulation seems to be degrading inside the fabric outer cover.

I had the PVC pipe on my 78.

skierdan
06-01-2011, 08:32 PM
would you believe I just got a pair from my local dealer for 40 bucks? Thanks to MartinMotorsports, Looked like $60 everywhere else.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-01-2011, 08:46 PM
would you believe I just got a pair from my local dealer for 40 bucks? Thanks to MartinMotorsports, Looked like $60 everywhere else.

40 is what I paid for the mastercraft ones on the mbd section of this site

skierdan
06-01-2011, 09:32 PM
when I checked MBD I was quoted 60. Probably trying to hose me because I am Canadian. :) Shipping would have put it much higher.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Shipping was probably the difference, from them to me in tx it was 12 $ shipping

josepcedwards
06-01-2011, 10:45 PM
I picked some up from the Mastercraft tent at protour for $30

east tx skier
06-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Paid $20 for mine. Red and blank. No white marks on the rub rail.