PDA

View Full Version : Need a new tow rig!

Hammer
06-01-2011, 08:09 AM
Need a new truck, what say you? Must be deisel, crew cab, long bed, 4x4, auto, loaded. So Dodge is out they have nothing that fits the bill. So it is between 2011 Ford F350 Lariot and the 2011 Chevy/GMC 3500 LTZ. Good and the bad. Gas milage. Need inside track on price!

medicmoose
06-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Hands down go for the Chev with the Duramax...there is no comparison.

blakehardesty
06-01-2011, 08:35 AM
I agree on the Duramax. You will love it.

pmkkdx
06-01-2011, 09:34 AM
between the Chevy & Ford, I would opt for the Chevy!

but why do you state Dodge has nothing that fits? just curious since Dodge makes a truck that meets the requirements you stated.

BWB-745-
06-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Dodge's automatic trans can be a bit problematic is why I would assume he doesn't want to go that route.

IMO I would perfer a Cummins over any other deisel.

willyt
06-01-2011, 09:47 AM
every comparison i've seen between the ford and the chevy picks the chevy hands down.

Those same tests showed the dodge trailing pathetically behind the other two.

with a 1 ton diesel... what the heck are ya towin?

Ski-me
06-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Are there major differences between the 2011 model and say, 2010 or 2009?

I'm personally a Chevy guy but don't know anything about the diesels. I have the 8.1L in my Sub and love it! Very reliable truck too!

FourFourty
06-01-2011, 10:00 AM
I would go with the chevy/gmc...... That being said, I looked at a new F250 before I purchased my 2500HD. It was a close decision for me. I had a very hard time choosing. I ended up with the GMC because the Duramax is a tried and true engine.....The scorpion 6.7l is still in its infancy.

I am not a big fan of Ram pickups for a ton of good reasons, however, the Cummins engine is the best of the three.

FYI- my 2011 GMC crew/4x4/duramax got 16MPG average empty and about 13-14mpg towing my 7 yard dump trailer. Since then, I have removed the emissions and installed a programmer. After doing that, I get 21MPG empty, and still about 14 towing.

FourFourty
06-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Are there major differences between the 2011 model and say, 2010 or 2009?

I'm personally a Chevy guy but don't know anything about the diesels. I have the 8.1L in my Sub and love it! Very reliable truck too!

The 2011 Chev/GMCs have a whole new frame and suspension, larger brakes, and more power. Towing capacity and payload were increased substantially. They are about the same as the 2007-10 cosmetically, but a lot more capable for 2011.

flipper
06-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Hands down go for the Chev with the Duramax...there is no comparison.
X2........

Thrall
06-01-2011, 10:12 AM
I'd go Duramax over the unproven 6.7 Ford. Not sure what your hangup is with the Ram/Cummins though. Longbed/CC they have them. 68RFE has proven to be a good trans since 07 when they introduced it. For 2011 they upped the engine torque/hp to hang with the other 2 for those worried about it. New body/interior in 2010, very plush. Only truck that doesn't have a urea tank to fill. Solid axle front end, has it's advantages and drawbacks IMO. And strongest turbo brake in of the three.
FOr me it would be a toss up between the DMax and the Cummins.

pmkkdx
06-01-2011, 11:01 AM
HA! no toss up for me ... Cummins only (have owned 8 so far since '91, all well above 200K upon trading up for features). I haven't had any issues with drive train on any (other than cracked brazilian cast #52 block on '98.5 with 295K miles). The upgrade body/interior in 2010 made for more comfortable rear seating capacity over the 3rd gen ('03-'09) ... which I will be upgrading to a 2011/2012 probably around the end of this year (1 ton CC, SRW, 4x4, auto, decked out). ... and if the Dodge wasn't available, it would be a Chevy/GMC.

stuartmcnair
06-01-2011, 11:49 AM
The Duramax is no better than the Ford for pulling. The deciding factor between the GM and Ford products is solely personal preference. Whichever interior you like better is the one you should go with. I own a Ford because I liked the KR interior. Next time I will probably go with a Chevy because I like the way they redid the interior more so than the new Ford. I have pulled with and driven both. No difference.

airdrew99
06-01-2011, 11:52 AM
I know a few diesel mechanics and they always talk about nothing but problems out of the Duramax. I would look at Cummins or Powerstroke. Just my 2 cents.

Drew

G-Star
06-01-2011, 11:53 AM
An interesting read...
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/11/chevy-vs-ford-in-heavy-duty-rumble-in-the-rockies.html

Huskie05
06-01-2011, 12:39 PM
I know a few diesel mechanics and they always talk about nothing but problems out of the Duramax. I would look at Cummins or Powerstroke. Just my 2 cents.

Drew

I have owned two Ford Diesel's both have been awesome. No issues, long distance towing over Rocky Mountains. I have an 08 now with 40,000 miles, no issues. I think they are all good trucks in different ways, it all comes down to being a Ford man, Chev Man, or Ram Man.

I tow my boat with a Ford, and it was built with out using our tax dollars. Ford has earned my business...

Ski-me
06-01-2011, 01:10 PM
I tow my boat with a Ford, and it was built with out using our tax dollars. Ford has earned my business...

I am a Chevy guy, definitely. But you got to "admire" a company like Ford that did not take a handout during that tough time. In fact, I believe they excelled as a result. A good sign of a decent company and worth supporting.....

06x2
06-01-2011, 01:17 PM
I work on fleets of all three trucks the cummins never fails the new trans is alot better than it used to be. The Allison trans never fails but the rest of the chevy/gmc falls apart including the durajunk. The ford truck itself is very durable but as per the powerchoke well everyone has problems all the way from the original 6.9 idi up the 6.4 so I hope this 6.7 is alto better. So as per the best truck go but a Ford out a cummins engine in it and an Allison trans . But since this only exists in the custom world. I personally bought a dodge , the engine is the most expensive/important piece of a truck so pick the lesser of all evils trannys are cheap in comparison
Just my three cents

Hammer
06-01-2011, 06:50 PM
The problem I have with the Dodge is the interior. The rear bench cuts in in the middle over three inches for some reason and I think that would be torcher for my third child. There Mega cab is great, but you can't have that with a long bed. So no deal.

Hammer
06-01-2011, 06:54 PM
with a 1 ton diesel... what the heck are ya towin?

I tow just about every day. I own a small GC company and tow a 8K tool trailer couple days a week. My tiny boat several days a week. The occasianal excavator and such. On vacation is where I need it most when I pull our 15K 5er.

Hammer
06-01-2011, 06:57 PM
I have been driving my 7.3 Ford for the past 7 years and have loved it. Lots of room and plenty of power. But unfortunatly this past weekend the motor went. Something let go inside of the motor and the value of the truck is less than all the repairs it needs.

pmkkdx
06-01-2011, 07:01 PM
The problem I have with the Dodge is the interior. The rear bench cuts in in the middle over three inches for some reason and I think that would be torcher for my third child. There Mega cab is great, but you can't have that with a long bed. So no deal.

have you looked at the new design (>2010) Dodge rear seat configuration? I am 6'3" and can sit in the back seat comfortably (just don't recall sitting in the middle of rear seat) with the front seat all the way back. I can in the 3rd gen ('03-'09) but it's pretty cramped when someone tall is in the front seat. The 4th gen 2nd row is totally different configuration with considerable more room in the Crew Cab. Also, the Laramie package is leather and all decked out, can even get air conditioned seats!

I have seen a few conversion Megacab long beds around ...

http://longbedmegacab.com/

http://megacablongbed.com/

http://www.longermega.com/

DooSPX
06-01-2011, 07:21 PM

Drew

Would like to know what problems... I have seen more issues with all the non 7.3 PS then any other...
From what I see on a daily bases...
Ford- Good truck, crappy PowerStroke since the 7.3
Dodge- Great engine, truck is plagued with electrical issues and crappy parts
GM- Decent truck, Good engine, great tranny.

FourFourty
06-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Would like to know what problems... I have seen more issues with all the non 7.3 PS then any other...

I have to agree with this 100%.

airdrew99
06-01-2011, 09:06 PM

From what I hear, the main problems are head gaskets GM used with the aluminum heads, bad injectors, and EGR valve problems.

DooSPX
06-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Only ever hear of the occasional bad injectors. Rarely, and most have a lot of miles before it shows it ugly head on the Duramax.

Now on the 6.0L PowerStrokes, I see bad gaskets, lifting heads, and TONS or EGR issues. A few of my ford buddies have replaced the EGR valve and the gaskets more times they I can count. All ended up replacing head bolts with ARP, but still the EGR issues happen about every 6 months. (they drive all over the county everyday)

medicmoose
06-01-2011, 10:17 PM
FWIW...I do the fleet purchasing for our ambulance service....talk about a harsh environment for any vehicle to run in. No we are not hauling, but it's a tough environment for most vehicles to be running in.

For us, the Chev chassis with the Duramax has been a superior vehicle. We don't currently have the option to run the Dodge, but between the Chev and Ford in our environment...the Chev has performed best.

stuartmcnair
06-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Only ever hear of the occasional bad injectors. Rarely, and most have a lot of miles before it shows it ugly head on the Duramax.

Now on the 6.0L PowerStrokes, I see bad gaskets, lifting heads, and TONS or EGR issues. A few of my ford buddies have replaced the EGR valve and the gaskets more times they I can count. All ended up replacing head bolts with ARP, but still the EGR issues happen about every 6 months. (they drive all over the county everyday)

hmmmm...115,000 miles on mine and have had none of those issues. My buddy has had no issues with his Duramax. Maybe we both just got good ones. All in the luck of the draw I guess.

bobx1
06-02-2011, 11:28 AM
I have owned three F250's, 4x4, Crew, Diesel's (2001, 2005, 2008) and have never had an issue and have loved the trucks. I typically run them to 100K+ miles then hand them down to my sons. My middle son still has the 2008 and I switched to the F150 (4x4, crew) and man is that one nice truck! My next purchase (around middle of next year) was going to be either another F150 (with Ecoboost) or another F250 but after readiing this post, I may give the Duramax a shot.

DooSPX
06-02-2011, 11:35 AM
I have never seen a 6.0L around here without at least a EGR issue. most around here though tow 20ft enclosed trailers with lawn equipment in them. all have been stock, no tuner or anything.

Thrall
06-03-2011, 12:21 AM
I think they are all good trucks in different ways, it all comes down to being a Ford man, Chev Man, or Ram Man.

You said it best...and they are all piles of overpriced crap too. Just like comparing your favorite brand of snowmobile or boat (except MC's are the only ones that aren't crap!!).
Just a toss up!

I still wouldn't get a powerchoke though! hahaha (no smilies)

Hammer
06-03-2011, 07:54 AM
Leaning pretty hard towards the Chevy/ GMC. Gotta find a GMC though, just not many at the dealers. For that matter thee are not many Chevys at the dealers either.

This is what I am replacing.

Hammer
06-03-2011, 07:58 AM
Notice all the oil inside the fender well from when the motor let go. What a mess. I was on I40 when it went on Monday pulling my 5th wheel back from Memorial day. Thank goodness my wife was in front of me pulling the boat to get the kids and take them home. The side of the interstate on a holiday weekend is a scary place. It was a long day!

Thrall
06-04-2011, 01:28 AM
That ***, how many miles? The 7.3's are the good ones, know several guys with high mile 7.3's that run strong.
Good luck finding a replacement. May be worth the $ to replace the engine, looks like a nice truck.

Sullivan
06-04-2011, 09:39 AM
I don't understand how you guys can buy a GM product anymore. They have taken an estimated 40 Billion in tax dollar handouts and tex cuts and how do they repay the US taxpayer? They build a new 500 Million dollar plant in Mexico last year. They have not and will not pay the tax payers back. How can you support a company like that?

You say the Duramax doesn't have issues?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4OtbNt_Aug

Here is what I didn't like about the new Duramax. The DEF tank is hangs super low behind the passenger side front tire. For me this would get damaged while working in my pasture. The cab is way smaller than both the Dodge and Ford. The interior is dated looking when compared to the new Ford or Dodge.

WakePowell
06-04-2011, 09:58 AM
I don't understand how you guys can buy a GM product anymore. They have taken an estimated 40 Billion in tax dollar handouts and tex cuts and how do they repay the US taxpayer? They build a new 500 Million dollar plant in Mexico last year. They have not and will not pay the tax payers back. How can you support a company like that?

You say the Duramax doesn't have issues?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4OtbNt_Aug

Here is what I didn't like about the new Duramax. The DEF tank is hangs super low behind the passenger side front tire. For me this would get damaged while working in my pasture. The cab is way smaller than both the Dodge and Ford. The interior is dated looking when compared to the new Ford or Dodge.

Well said, thank you!

Hammer
06-04-2011, 10:41 AM
That ***, how many miles? The 7.3's are the good ones, know several guys with high mile 7.3's that run strong.
Good luck finding a replacement. May be worth the $ to replace the engine, looks like a nice truck.

I had 250,000 miles. They were all hard miles pulling something. I've checked with my mechanic and to get a decent motor, not out of a junk truck, with my old conponents will run 8,000. A all new unit and new components will run 10,000. The truck is a 99 and is only worth 10-12K. The problem is there are many other problems with the truck that just don't make it worth while to fix. Its worth more in parts than anything.

Hammer
06-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Well after a couple of days looking at these trucks I am really leaning more towards the Ford. There is just more room in the cab. I am just not the smallest guy and need the room. The back seat of the Ford is much nicer. From talking with a few people around that have these trucks the Fords do seem to be getting better fuel economy.

Jerseydave
06-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Well after a couple of days looking at these trucks I am really leaning more towards the Ford. There is just more room in the cab. I am just not the smallest guy and need the room. The back seat of the Ford is much nicer. From talking with a few people around that have these trucks the Fords do seem to be getting better fuel economy.

FWIW, my buddy is the lead tech/service mgr at my Ford Dealer and has been there for over 30 years. He said the new Ford diesel/new trans is incredible! The best they have ever made by far and he said "this time Ford got it right"

On the other hand I've heard a lot of good things about the Duramax too. I don't think you could go wrong either way....just personal preference I guess. Drive both, then decide.