PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen smashed

addo
06-01-2011, 04:27 AM
Hi
I have recently bought a 1997 Prostar 205 and transported it to Australia, but in putting the windscreens back on, the observers side front windscreen was knocked and is now in very small pieces.
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement from?
I contacted Taylor made and they requested a part number which I'm trying to get out of Mastercraft.

Where could I go to get the part numbers other than Mastercraft?

I can get the windscreen shipped from LA to Australia, so I presume it would be best to get something from the West coast

tks

addo
08-30-2011, 11:49 PM
FYI - Taylor Made do/will not produce these windscreens. Seems amazing to me that a company that produced them 10 years ago has literally thrown away the mould!
Maybe there's a business in buying the moulds to service the parts market?
The only options you have is to get a custom one made, glass - $4000, plastic - $380 or try and find a secondhand one.
I went for the plastic and to look at while new, is hard to tell the difference.
Preference is glass but $4000 is a bit steep

TLR67
08-31-2011, 05:09 PM
Get Plastic and throw some tint under it... You wouldnt be able to tell the diference...

Gamble
08-31-2011, 06:42 PM
You may try and see if a glass company can make you one.........I did that on an 83 SS and it came out fine........and the cost was minimal.

psychobilly
08-31-2011, 07:21 PM
You on the East coast or West coast of OZ?????

mikeg205
08-31-2011, 08:13 PM
You may try and see if a glass company can make you one.........I did that on an 83 SS and it came out fine........and the cost was minimal.

yes, that's a great idea... and you can use the good size a template.

Tealchevy
09-02-2011, 12:50 PM
I was trying to get a full windshield out of taylor made for the longest then had to finally go through mastercraft and it still took 3 months. Glass company is going to be the way to go.

addo
09-07-2011, 12:10 AM
Psychobilly - located on the east coast down south in Melbourne. Have just hit spring, so while you guys are starting to slow down, we are starting to get ready to venture out. Just need the weather to warm up a bit more! 18 celcius (64 f) is still a bit cold for us (I'm soft)

tph
09-07-2011, 12:14 AM

You got a glass company to make a tempered curved windshield at a minimal cost? Please tell me more (PM) Thanks.

Shortline197
09-07-2011, 12:44 AM
I have been talking to a guy that builds custom street rods. He is checking around to see if I can have the windshield glass made for a 83 SS.

ch

puck_11
09-11-2011, 01:20 PM
I believe that I have the exact glass that you are looking for. I bought it from a guy on the east coast, and at some point something got lost in translation and where I needed a 1995 windshield, I got a 1996. I didn't try to install it until a year later as I was deployed, but now I have a passenger side windshield that I can't use. I am guessing that shipping to Australia will cost an arm and a leg, but if you're willing to buy and ship, we can talk. I just sent an e-mail to the guy I bought it from and will get the exact details for you. I will try to get some pics today when I take my boat out.

cooter77
09-19-2011, 11:27 AM
PM me your phone number if you still have glass. I have a 97 Prostar 205 and my Portside glass is shattered. I have also been down this street with Taylormade. It is hard to believe that they want to just throw away all history and molds on these boats.

-Bill

petemcc
09-07-2012, 05:17 PM
anyone know where I can find a 1992 Maristar 210 starboard windshield glass? Heck I'll take a whole windshield if I have too.
same issues as everyone else. Mastercraft points to Taylor and Taylor points to MC.
My rig is / was in perfect shape. Damn tree.

petemcc
09-09-2012, 11:20 AM
just by shear luck there was a guy selling a darn near junked 91 Maristar 210 so I bought it. It has a locked up engine and cosmetic issues. will pull the glass needed for my ride then part out or fix/sell the 91. If anyone need parts or want it let me know.