PDA

View Full Version : Bimini for my 200VRS

ahhudgins
05-31-2011, 11:04 PM
I've decided to install a bimini on my '95 200VRS and I did a search for other Maristars with the top. I don't have a tower and I don't think I will ever install one, so I'm looking at a bimini that attaches to the fiberglass. I've seen several different styles, one with a rigid pole on the rear and others just have straps. My main question is do any of them have quick release pins so the top can be taken off the boat or are they pretty much attached once they are installed? On the days that it's not too hot, I don't like the idea of it laying down and having people climbing over or under it when it's closed up.

I did see that several guys liked the ones that Overtons sells. Any pictures of your tops would be appreciated.

FrankSchwab
05-31-2011, 11:23 PM
I don't have a picture of mine...

Almost all bimini's attach to a center point on each side. Some use a pip pin (quick disconnect), some use a thumbscrew. The fore and aft supports are either a strap or the hard support - I have the strap. From inside the boat, I can remove the bimini in about 30 seconds (but then I don't have anywhere to stow it). From outside, it probably takes 10 seconds longer because I have to walk further.

Don't worry about the removal/reinstallation process; it's trivial. Even so, you'll probably find that you leave the bimini on and just crawl over it if you want sunshine.

/frank

LaRue
06-01-2011, 12:06 AM
PO installed Bimini mounts on windshield. Not sure i would have risked that but it works just fine. I added adjustable support brackets to rear straps as a way to store up and out of the way when on the water when I do not want shade. I use them along with strap for added support. When trailering or covering I simply disconnect front straps and center mounts on windshield and pivot down using rear supports where it rests on top of back seat. Here is what i have on my computer.

MC4SNETS
06-01-2011, 12:48 AM
Lots of biminis attach to the windshield. Taylor-Made makes a mount that attaches to the windshield....they likely make your windshield.

There are MANY options......if you want the widest bimini top wit the most shade, I would mount to the hull outside the windshield. There are a variety of mounting options from a thumb screw to a QR pin to a QR button type release. If you dont want straps, you can do a solid bar mount on both ends. On my last boat, I opted for a support pole in the rear and straps in the front. Either way, you hafta pull it tight.....

Check out www.acconmarine.com for QR mounts. You can get them cheaper on other sites though. I have two thunbscrew windshield mounts I'm not using, let me know.

LaRue has a mounting option with the adjustable support poles in the rear that would allow you to keep it up when not open and out of the way.....I like that and that's what I had on my last boat. Lotsa options.

wheeler
06-01-2011, 07:41 AM
I have a bimini off my 2004 X-10 (Maristar 210) that I will sell you if you are interested.

It mounts to the windshield. I still have all the mounting hardware and it is all quick disconnect. Bimini then folds up into a Mastercraft Logo boot
see attached pic:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/Mrkwhlr2/iphonepics051.jpg

wheeler
06-01-2011, 07:42 AM
Our boats should not be that much different from one another. I installed a bimini that now mounts to my tower.

PM me if interested and we can exchange information....

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/Mrkwhlr2/IMG_0386.jpg

ahhudgins
06-01-2011, 04:52 PM
PO installed Bimini mounts on windshield. Not sure i would have risked that but it works just fine. I added adjustable support brackets to rear straps as a way to store up and out of the way when on the water when I do not want shade. I use them along with strap for added support. When trailering or covering I simply disconnect front straps and center mounts on windshield and pivot down using rear supports where it rests on top of back seat. Here is what i have on my computer.

Thanks for all of the input and for the pictures. I like idea of the rear support poles so you can fold the top back and not have to lay it on the back seat. I don't trust all of my inlaws kids not to stomp on it when they are getting back into the boat. They already treat my walk thru windshield like a screen door. Is yours a MC bimini or after market? I think I will have to go with the windshield mount because when I use my boom, it exits the boat directly behind the windshield. I can mount the support pole where you did and move the strap bracket a little further back.

ahhudgins
06-01-2011, 04:56 PM
I have a bimini off my 2004 X-10 (Maristar 210) that I will sell you if you are interested.

It mounts to the windshield. I still have all the mounting hardware and it is all quick disconnect. Bimini then folds up into a Mastercraft Logo boot
see attached pic:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/Mrkwhlr2/iphonepics051.jpg

Is yours black? Black is my first color choice. I will get some measurements and pictures of my windshield frame and get back with you after the weekend. Thanks.

LaRue
06-01-2011, 06:37 PM
I like idea of the rear support poles so you can fold the top back and not have to lay it on the back seat. I don't trust all of my inlaws kids not to stomp on it when they are getting back into the boat. Is yours a MC bimini or after market? ... I can mount the support pole where you did and move the strap bracket a little further back.

I only fold down when trailering or storing. Otherwise it is supported up and out of the way or extended to provide shade. I kept the strap close in order to give me more room to enter boat from side. If i move it back, it basically cuts off any convenient side entrance.

Bimini is Sunbrella. Parts came from Carver Industries

wheeler
06-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Mine is black. The rear support poles are sliders with adjustments. $450. Free shipping to lower 48

Take some preliminary width measurements from where the rear of the windshield meets the fiberglass to see if we are even close. I know the Maristar 230 is a couple inches wider than the Maristar 210.

A quick call to your local mc dealer might help, but then again they might just want to sell you a new one for $700+/-

wheeler
06-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Just did a quick search on Google. Your beam should be 94". My 2004 X10 (Maristar210) is 95".

I have to squeeze the lower supports to fit "inside" the windshield which is where my attachments where located. The attachments could be mount to the top of yours or even the outside

Let me know.

Thx

ahhudgins
06-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Just did a quick search on Google. Your beam should be 94". My 2004 X10 (Maristar210) is 95".

I have to squeeze the lower supports to fit "inside" the bimini which is where my attachments where located. The attachments could be mount to the top of yours or even the outside

Let me know.

Thx

Thanks for all your effort. I will check mine this weekend.
Can your front supports be disconnected and the top folded back in the up position like the way Larue did his?

MC4SNETS
06-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Not sure if 2001 is the same hull as 2004.....but in 2001 the 230 hull is 3" wider than the 210.....FYI

Wheeler, your color combo is awesome.....sometimes I wish I had those colors and sometimes I very happy with my very classy black and tan (and white)....I bought my Maristar from a guy in his fifties.....and I'm quickly approaching that so I think that the black and tan fits me well.....but that red sure looks nice!

wheeler
06-02-2011, 07:15 AM
Thanks for all your effort. I will check mine this weekend.
Can your front supports be disconnected and the top folded back in the up position like the way Larue did his?

Yes, all three of the supports on both sides are quick release. when you release the front and rear you have the option of laying the bimini back or front, in which case when laying it front it will rest on top of the windshield frame.

wheeler
06-02-2011, 07:18 AM
Not sure if 2001 is the same hull as 2004.....but in 2001 the 230 hull is 3" wider than the 210.....FYI

Wheeler, your color combo is awesome.....sometimes I wish I had those colors and sometimes I very happy with my very classy black and tan (and white)....I bought my Maristar from a guy in his fifties.....and I'm quickly approaching that so I think that the black and tan fits me well.....but that red sure looks nice!

I am not far behind you, I am 43, my brain says much younger, much body says much older.

ahhudgins
06-03-2011, 09:01 AM

I have to squeeze the lower supports to fit "inside" the windshield which is where my attachments where located. The attachments could be mount to the top of yours or even the outside

Let me know.

Thx

Sent you a PM.