PDA

View Full Version : Starter, Solenoid, or both??

Cousin_Jeff
05-31-2011, 10:14 AM
My 2002 Prostar 197 had some intermittant starting problems yesterday. When I first put it in the water, it started right up and ran great. Drove over to "the spot" and parked for some swimming time. Got ready to go ski and it didn't immediately start. I could turn the key and hear it click one time. I tried turning the key again and again 1 click. The third time it started right up. It did that same sequence later in the day where it finally started but didn't start on every key turn. Thinking it is the solenoid since it does not sound like it is slow or dragging like a dead battery and it is only 1 click and not a bunch of quick clicks. Any ideas??? I did check the connections and they were tight.

rhsprostar
05-31-2011, 10:34 AM
Clean those connections really really well. Put some diaelectric grease on them as well. Do it at the starter as well.
Is the battery new?

flipper
05-31-2011, 10:40 AM
Clean those connections really really well. Put some diaelectric grease on them as well. Do it at the starter as well.
Is the battery new?
I had the EXACT same problem yesterday. This is what I did, and everything was fine.

Cousin_Jeff
05-31-2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks. Yes the battery is brand new. I will try your suggestions.

etduc
05-31-2011, 11:01 AM
What they said. Had similar problem, last year. I had a loose connection, on my key switch.