PDA

View Full Version : Boat jumps dock in Smith Mountain Lake accident

Luv2Ski
05-31-2011, 09:59 AM
http://www2.wsls.com/news/2011/may/29/smith-mountain-lake-boat-accident-ar-1073026/

Hate to see a MasterCraft like this..... Curious what happened. Also somewhat entertained by the kids feeding the fish while the paramedics treat the passenger.

ntidsl
05-31-2011, 10:08 AM
looks like he was trying to back in the spot and hit the throttle down too hard. it hit hard enough to launch him up onto the dock. damage is on rear left side of boat. but i didnt read the article.

chawk610
05-31-2011, 11:49 AM
That is a horrible shame! I am guessing the prop and shaft are under the wood??? Ripped out of the boat?

Boy those carp are starving!

ski_king
05-31-2011, 11:59 AM
looks like he was trying to back in the spot and hit the throttle down too hard. it hit hard enough to launch him up onto the dock. damage is on rear left side of boat. but i didnt read the article.

I believe it would impossible to get up on top of the dock while backing up. However there dosn't appear to be any damage or marks on the dock from going over the dock. If you look close you can see the prop on the top of the dock.

EDIT::

The news report http://www2.wsls.com/news/2011/may/30/man-charged-smith-mountain-lake-boat-accident-ar-1074538/
indicates he went forward when he meant to backup. There is a photo that shows marks where he went over.

He hit a lady on the dock that was feeding the fish.

Edit again:

The boat was a rental???????

GT500 MC
05-31-2011, 12:11 PM
I believe it would impossible to get up on top of the dock while backing up. However there dosn't appear to be any damage or marks on the dock from going over the dock. If you look close you can see the prop on the top of the dock.

I agree on the backing up, unless he hit the throttle down in reverse instead of easing it back into neutral, crested up on a wave and it sat him on the dock. There's no way he came in too hot from the other side either--if that were the case there would be some kind of marks/damage on the dock, if not destruction of the dock. Interested to hear how that actually happened.

TxsRiverRat
05-31-2011, 12:48 PM
I guess there's more good water to slalom on now without another idiot that shouldnt be boating off the lake.

oumiller28
05-31-2011, 01:02 PM
Some people have no business driving a boat.

76S&S
05-31-2011, 01:40 PM
Note to self: Never buy a used boat from a rental program!!!

ski_king
05-31-2011, 01:51 PM
Note to self: Never buy a used boat from a rental program!!!

Note to self: Never feed fish in front of the return dock of a boat rental!

Tri4X2
05-31-2011, 02:30 PM
I rented a boat once on Lake Austin and they never even asked me if I had operated a boat. Makes you wonder who you are boating against some times.

TxsRiverRat
05-31-2011, 02:33 PM
I bet that guy is related to the same idiot I saw at the brazos doing the make ready ON THE FREAKIN RAMP! LOL

CantRepeat
05-31-2011, 03:20 PM
I bet that guy is related to the same idiot I saw at the brazos doing the make ready ON THE FREAKIN RAMP! LOL

Just maybe it was mechanical?

Jerseydave
05-31-2011, 03:38 PM
We were at that exact spot last summer.....feeding the fish with my 7 year old! I didn't read the article yet but I hope the lady will be ok.

TayMC197
05-31-2011, 03:47 PM
SMITH MOUNTAIN LAKE, VA --
We're learning more information about a boat accident that happened Sunday, at Bridgewater Plaza at Smith Mountain Lake.

Around lunchtime on Sunday, a boat jumped a dock, and hit at least one person.

On Monday, the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (DGIF) said the driver of the boat was 48-year-old Oren Eisner, of Rockville, Maryland.

Eisner told investigators that he was pulling into the fuel dock to return his boat. Two dockhands told Eisner that he was going too fast, and to slow down. Eisner said he tried to reverse, but accelerated instead.

The DGIF says Eisner hit six rentals, and the boat's propeller tore through at least eight-feet of dock before it stopped.

The accident also hurt Ryan Goyer's mother. She was on the dock tossing popcorn to fish with her 7-year-old granddaughter, when the accident happened.

Goyer tells me the accident knocked his mother unconscious, and she had to be rescued from the water. Goyer said his mother has several broken bones, and her vertebrae is chipped. Goyer added that doctors were waiting for CAT scan results to determine how severe the injury was.

The DGIF say Eisner had limited boating experience, and went through a 15 minute operational safety checklist with the marina before renting the boat.

Conservation Police charged Eisner with misdemeanor reckless operation of a boat.

flipper
05-31-2011, 03:51 PM
Now I understand those signs that say "Don't feed the animals"

Huskie05
05-31-2011, 03:53 PM
SMITH MOUNTAIN LAKE, VA --
We're learning more information about a boat accident that happened Sunday, at Bridgewater Plaza at Smith Mountain Lake.

Around lunchtime on Sunday, a boat jumped a dock, and hit at least one person.

On Monday, the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (DGIF) said the driver of the boat was 48-year-old Oren Eisner, of Rockville, Maryland.

Eisner told investigators that he was pulling into the fuel dock to return his boat. Two dockhands told Eisner that he was going too fast, and to slow down. Eisner said he tried to reverse, but accelerated instead.

The DGIF says Eisner hit six rentals, and the boat's propeller tore through at least eight-feet of dock before it stopped.

The accident also hurt Ryan Goyer's mother. She was on the dock tossing popcorn to fish with her 7-year-old granddaughter, when the accident happened.

Goyer tells me the accident knocked his mother unconscious, and she had to be rescued from the water. Goyer said his mother has several broken bones, and her vertebrae is chipped. Goyer added that doctors were waiting for CAT scan results to determine how severe the injury was.

The DGIF say Eisner had limited boating experience, and went through a 15 minute operational safety checklist with the marina before renting the boat.

Conservation Police charged Eisner with misdemeanor reckless operation of a boat.

Horrible story, could have been much worse. I hope booze was not involved, cause then it just makes me mad....

GT500 MC
05-31-2011, 03:59 PM
Horrible story, could have been much worse. I hope booze was not involved, cause then it just makes me mad....

Didn't mention any OUI or any further charge. With that type of accident I'm sure he had to have been given at least one sobriety check. Maybe the walk backwards right off the end of the dock.

gatorguy
05-31-2011, 03:59 PM
It's interesting, you have to be 25 to rent a car must have a valid drivers license, but they give any idiot with cash a boat after a 15min check out? Although what's the difference in an idiot renting a boat and an idiot buying a boat? Either way they hurt people and mess up the good water.

flipper
05-31-2011, 04:00 PM
I don't know. At least a drunk can sober up. An idiot is just stuck that way. :D

Jerseydave
05-31-2011, 04:04 PM
Wow! Again, I hope that women comes through this ok. Thank God that little girl was not injured!

Maybe all 50 states should pass a law that you must have a boaters safety certificate before you can rent a boat or PWC. We have to take a 6-hour course here in NJ before you can operate a boat or PWC. Unfortunately I think that gets waived for rentals.

Do they rent planes to people with no experience/training? I think not!

ahhudgins
05-31-2011, 04:11 PM
That is a horrible shame! I am guessing the prop and shaft are under the wood??? Ripped out of the boat?

Boy those carp are starving!

People throw popcorn to the carp all day long at that marina. The carp get into a feeding frenzy and there are so many of them that you could walk across them. There are accidents and deaths every summer at SML and I know it's a small number compared to the number of boats, but I won't ski on that lake any more (Too many drunk idiots). I stay on Leesville Lake below SML.

Jerseydave
05-31-2011, 04:16 PM
People throw popcorn to the carp all day long at that marina. The carp get into a feeding frenzy and there are so many of them that you could walk across them. There are accidents and deaths every summer at SML and I know it's a small number compared to the number of boats, but I won't ski on that lake any more (Too many drunk idiots). I stay on Leesville Lake below SML.

I heard Leesville Lake is nice.....any places to stay near there? Are there a lot of homes on the lake?

TxsRiverRat
05-31-2011, 05:27 PM
Maybe we should have to be required to successfully complete a class on feeding popcorn to fish at marinas

ahhudgins
05-31-2011, 06:01 PM
I heard Leesville Lake is nice.....any places to stay near there? Are there a lot of homes on the lake?

Depends on what you call "nice". Leesville is classified as a reservoir and is used to maintain the water level at SML, which is used for power production. The water level at Leesville can vary 10 feet in a day depending on the power demand and the day of the week. We usually have decent water on the weekend but they started pumping water back into Leesville early this past Sunday and once that happens we get a lot of debris in the water. Most of the time it isn’t too bad, you just have to pay attention when you are driving and it also cuts down on the barefooting time. Since most of the shoreline is undeveloped, there is a lot of nice scenery but we have to deal with uncertain water conditions. SML is where all of the big $$$$$$ are at.

ahhudgins
05-31-2011, 06:07 PM
It's interesting, you have to be 25 to rent a car must have a valid drivers license, but they give any idiot with cash a boat after a 15min check out? Although what's the difference in an idiot renting a boat and an idiot buying a boat? Either way they hurt people and mess up the good water.

Virginia is phasing in the boater safety course that all boat drivers will be required to pass before operating a boat. From what I've read, people who "rent" a boat or PWC will only be required to receive the quick 15 minute instruction before hitting the water. You see how that works out.

TxsRiverRat
05-31-2011, 06:16 PM
The water level at Leesville can vary 10 feet in a day depending on the power demand and the day of the week.

So... Are you suggesting there is cross country downhill waterskiing on your lake? ;)

Huskie05
05-31-2011, 07:33 PM
Wow! Again, I hope that women comes through this ok. Thank God that little girl was not injured!

Maybe all 50 states should pass a law that you must have a boaters safety certificate before you can rent a boat or PWC. We have to take a 6-hour course here in NJ before you can operate a boat or PWC. Unfortunately I think that gets waived for rentals.

Do they rent planes to people with no experience/training? I think not!

I used to sail a lot as a kid, I believe you have to have a sailing lic before renting, at least the bigger boats.

ahhudgins
05-31-2011, 10:29 PM
So... Are you suggesting there is cross country downhill waterskiing on your lake? ;)

I tried to find some pics on my computer but no luck. All of the docks on Leesville have a stationary dock with poles in the ground which is connected to a floating dock with a long walk way. The walk way has hinges on both ends because the floater goes up and down with the water level. Some days the water depth at the floater will be 12 feet, then an hour later it can be 5 feet. The water level doesn't change fast enough to ski without the boat!!! If it did, it's time to head for the hills.

SML is so much larger than Leesville that lowering SML by an inch or so will increase Leesvilles level by 10 feet or more. We just deal with it. There is so much traffic on SML that there are always reports of drownings, boat accidents, tubers getting slung into docks and the list goes on.

BNIROOSTER
06-01-2011, 05:12 AM
The guy at the rental shop said "just park it anywhere" !!!

TxsRiverRat
06-01-2011, 08:49 AM
The water level doesn't change fast enough to ski without the boat!!! If it did, it's time to head for the hills.

LMFAO

The guy at the rental shop said "just park it anywhere" !!!

"Hi, my speedos are clogged, can you use the speedo rooter to make them work again?"

Jeff d
06-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Not that it was a factor in this accident I'm actually a bit shocked that inboards are available to rent given the steep learning curve associated with docking them. The first few times I took mine out were pretty interesting. I can't imagine how beat up an inboard boat would be when just about every time it was taken out it was driven by an inexperienced person.

flipper
06-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Fill 'er up.

Yellow X9
06-01-2011, 10:40 AM
I guess there's more good water to slalom on now without another idiot that shouldnt be boating off the lake.

+ 2 on that

TxsRiverRat
06-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Not that it was a factor in this accident I'm actually a bit shocked that inboards are available to rent given the steep learning curve associated with docking them.

What? Docking an inboard is alot easier i thought... The I/Os are a b*tch to park w/o crashing into the dock... LOL

TxsRiverRat
06-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Fill 'er up.

LOL

"Is the the proper way to do a dock start?"

chawk610
06-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Maybe we should have to be required to successfully complete a class on feeding popcorn to fish at marinas

LMAO... I have thought that for years!!!!!!!!!

TxsRiverRat
06-01-2011, 11:11 AM
LMAO... I have thought that for years!!!!!!!!!

We could charge a fee for the class, and the Game Wardens would check annual licenses... Maybe everyone born after 1974 would be required to take the course.

TxsRiverRat
06-01-2011, 12:21 PM
“Hey, I saw this done in a movie once, I thought Mastercrafts could fly...”

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-01-2011, 12:56 PM
“Hey, I saw this done in a James Bond movie once, I thought Mastercrafts could fly...”

That would be the movie caddie shack that had the flying mastercrafts...

TxsRiverRat
06-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Yes! My mistake! You are correct!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=11893&stc=1&d=1153419551

ahhudgins
06-01-2011, 01:02 PM
We could charge a fee for the class, and the Game Wardens would check annual licenses... Maybe everyone born after 1974 would be required to take the course.

Hell, no need to charge for the class. Federal money went to pay for the new boat you see at the scene. Homeland Security shelled out $54K to protect the SML damn and prevent accidents from happening.
http://www2.newsadvance.com/news/2011/may/26/bedford-county-introduces-newest-patrol-boat-ar-1067210/

TxsRiverRat
06-01-2011, 02:14 PM
"Dagnabit Zeke, Ah done told ya the ballast bag was s'posed ta go in da back of da boat!"

LOL!!

scharette
06-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Not that it was a factor in this accident I'm actually a bit shocked that inboards are available to rent given the steep learning curve associated with docking them. The first few times I took mine out were pretty interesting. I can't imagine how beat up an inboard boat would be when just about every time it was taken out it was driven by an inexperienced person.

I totally agree with you. 2 time we tried to load our new to us Mastercraft on our trailer, we did a nice dammage. Wind and INEXPERIENCE was the main problem. also we did not know anybody who knew how to handle ski boats to show us the proper ways to dock it a load it to a trailer...