PDA

View Full Version : Does my 2007 x15 have a stuffing box? im taking on water

Grantx15
05-31-2011, 09:23 AM
my boat is taking on a good deal of water... im bildge pumps turn on to often and when i pull the boat out on the trailer after a ride i pull the drain plug and have a great deal of water that dumps.

my only thought is that the water is comming in through the drive shaft hole?? i only guess this bc after i pull the boat out of the water if i start it for 5 seconds water pours out of that shaft hole... so im wondering is water comming back in through that same hole when im just sitting in the water??

so im wondering if i have a stuffing box, or a shaft seal? and if my thoughts could be right on the water comming in from there?

willyt
05-31-2011, 10:28 AM
my only thought is that the water is comming in through the drive shaft hole?? i only guess this bc after i pull the boat out of the water if i start it for 5 seconds water pours out of that shaft hole...

you didnt put it in gear did you? i know some of the newer models have a dripless system that has a hose coming off the trans cooler to the shaft to force water out instead of in... could be that. Not sure when they switched to that

Grantx15
05-31-2011, 10:36 PM
no i didnt put it in gear. alright well that sounds like it may be that... still im not sure why i have so much water in the hull after a day on the water... just seemsl like the bildge pumps are working over time...

Thrall
06-03-2011, 03:31 AM
The cooling water for the dripless seal is fed to the seal and runs out the bottom of the boat, that's normal.
Boat shouldn't have any water in it unless it's from splashes or people dragging water into the boaat. Something's leaking.
Run it on a hose out of the water and look for leaks. If none, fill the bilge a ways and look for water leaking out.

CardenFam
06-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Yes, your boat has the dripless shaft seal. When you start your boat in the water, water is forced into the seal from your raw waterpump. So the higher you rev your engine the more water goes to your seal. Take a look at it while your engine is running to see if it is dripping. If it is leaking you will probably notice your bilge come on right after a run. I went through this same thing in the beginning of the season. I would bet that it is your shaft seal. You can buy the seal from any MC dealer for about 40 bucks and its not that hard to change. If you find that this is your problem you can send me a PM and I can tell you how I did mine. Good luck.

kingwoodlee
06-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Mine ended up leaking water in thru the rudder shaft seal. When I replaced the rudder box and rudder, wallah, no more leak.

ttu
06-14-2011, 03:39 PM
how hard is it to change the seal?

cf_koch
06-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Look at the hoses on your engine. I once had a heater hose slip and rub on a pulley causing a rather steady stream of water to go into the bilge when the motor was running. I spliced the hose and made sure it was routed properly and the problem is solved.