PDA

View Full Version : Should I be concerned??

arnott10
05-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am a new owner of a 2010 X-25 courtesy of Bay Area Watersports and Jim K. If anyone is utilizing this thread as an education and shopping tool like I did, I would suggest giving Jim at BAWS a call.

The boat was a demo/ski school boat with 240 hrs on it. All is good and running perfect. Here is my question/concern. How much water in the engine compartment/bilge area is too much? The boat is taking on water but I wouldn't describe it as a tremendous amount. For example, the longest the boat has been on the water during a single session was 6.5 hours. During that time, water came in, but the bilges never needed to kick on. However, when we throw the boat back on the trailer, what I would call a fairly large amount of water drains when we pull the plug. Once the plug is pulled, it probably takes 3-4 minutes for the water to drain out of the center drain. While inspecting the boat while its in the water, there is no obvious spot where the water is coming in from. Also, all seems ok with the hard ballast tanks. Finally, the water is not coming in from skiers coming and going.

I grew up with two MC ProStar 190s, one 1991 and the other a 1994. A little water came in, but nothing like this. Considering all I know is two 190s from the early 90s, I just don't know if this is typical for the newer X series/wake boats or if a bigger problem is looming.

Thanks everyone. Your time and effort is much appreciated. I am keeping my fingers crossed that although not perfect, this is typical and all is good..

WakePowell
05-30-2011, 10:42 PM
You did not say which motor you have but here are a few things to look at: Check all the engine hose connections you may have one that is leaking when the motor is at running rpm's, another thing to look at is the exhaust manifolds (Indmar has had a recall on several sets due to leaking, my '09 LY6 is on it's second replacement set).

All that aside I usually have about 2" of water in the bilge after a day of riding.

arnott10
05-30-2011, 11:01 PM
Thanks WakePowell. I have the MCX power plant if they sheds anymore light on the situation. Thanks again...

josepcedwards
05-30-2011, 11:46 PM
I wouldnt be worried... The x10 we ride behind dumps a good amount of water out too. Its never enough to kick the pump on but alot to watch drain out. You will never have a dry bilge.

k2knapke
05-30-2011, 11:47 PM
A problem i found was when water was running through the coils of my boat heater. The welds were cracked severely couldn't find where all the water was coming from for a while being that its tucked under the dash. Knew it was coming from the engine some how cause the water was scolding hot. Of course it happened the first summer i owned it. It took time to learn everything on a new boat.

broncotw
05-31-2011, 01:32 AM
I would take it back to the seller and have them fix any problems associated with the leak!

jstewart319
05-31-2011, 08:16 AM
I have a 2010 X25 with the MCX and my bilge is dry I pull the plugs and nothing comes out. I think you got a leak some where I would take it back to the seller and have it fixed before it gets worse.

chawk610
05-31-2011, 08:23 AM
Agreed... if you are concerned... trailer it back and have them take a look!

FourFourty
05-31-2011, 09:12 AM
My X25 doesnt seem to take on any water at all. I spent sunday and monday on the lake, pulled the plug last night and nothing.....

JohnE
05-31-2011, 09:12 AM
I'd take it back to Jim and have him look at it. Had similar problem in my 08 when it was new, turned out to be a pinhole in a hose that went to the heater coil.

flipper
05-31-2011, 10:46 AM
I'd take it back to your dealer and have them check it out. Any good dealer will make good of it

agarabaghi
05-31-2011, 11:38 AM
My X1 takes on a bit of water. I think my front sac might be leaking. But i have not dont enough investigating. Let us know if you figure it out.

ntidsl
05-31-2011, 11:59 AM
one full weekend of it and out of the water swimming and skiing, boat in the water saturday morning to Monday night. Lots of wet kids...i get maybe 2 gallons in my bilge. the carpet absorbs and dries out during the day. My plug leaks a tad and doesn't water come in the packing on the boats still these days?

arnott10
05-31-2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks everyone. I should have mentioned the boat is now many states away from the purchase point. If it were close, I know the dealer would be willing to help. I am on an island so to speak and just trying to figure out what I can before I start a road trip. Now that I know it sounds like it's more than usual, I will start digging a little deeper so to speak. Thanks again.

ttu
05-31-2011, 12:12 PM
on my 07 x2 i have a similiar problem with the boat taking on water. i have checked the hoses out twice and cannot find where the problem is.

agarabaghi
05-31-2011, 12:12 PM
also remember that when you slow down this boats sometimes water will come over the back

Jorski
05-31-2011, 12:41 PM
Just check out all of the possibilties:

1) leaking heater core
2) loose or disconnected hose
3) plug not istalled properly in block
4) leaking transmission cooler
5) drive shaft packing

You will find it...once you do, it will be an easy fix.

arnott10
05-31-2011, 01:21 PM
A problem i found was when water was running through the coils of my boat heater. The welds were cracked severely couldn't find where all the water was coming from for a while being that its tucked under the dash. Knew it was coming from the engine some how cause the water was scolding hot. Of course it happened the first summer i owned it. It took time to learn everything on a new boat.

Which MC do you have? I am curious where the heater coil will be located on my x25. Do you think it's under the dash as well?

arnott10
05-31-2011, 01:23 PM
Just check out all of the possibilties:

1) leaking heater core
2) loose or disconnected hose
3) plug not istalled properly in block
4) leaking transmission cooler
5) drive shaft packing

You will find it...once you do, it will be an easy fix.

Great check list, thanks! Is there only only plug on that MCX's block? Or, one on each side??

helton333
05-31-2011, 01:34 PM
I have a 205V (x1) hull - does anybody else have an issue with getting ALL the water drained? I can drain the center plug and the rear, but it still leaves pockets of water - that a big deal to anyone?

frosty
05-31-2011, 01:44 PM
Is the water hot, or cool?
That would help isolate the source.

arnott10
06-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Well, I believe I found the leak. There is a fair amount of water coming up through the rudder shaft. I couldn't find it before, because I was only able to check it when the boat was in neutral (I was the only one aboard). In neutral under no power, no water or a very, very small amount. Today, with a driver I was able to climb into the engine compartment and as soon as the boat is in gear and under a small amount of power, water pours up through what looks to be a plastic bushing. Sorry for crappy cell phone pic. It is coming up through between the white bushing and rudder arm. I laughed when I saw "MF" on the rudder arm. That's exactly what I was thinking, mother fu....

Does anyone know if there is a replacement bushing or any other service I can do to it? Also, once the boat was back on the trailer, I checked the rudder itself. There is quite a bit of lateral slop in the rudder.

Thanks in advance for the help everyone. Much appreciated...