PDA

View Full Version : Drive Shaft Brace

spicergregg@yahoo.com
05-30-2011, 07:29 PM
The brace that holds the drive shaft, which is right before the prop is making a noise. I just started it for the first time after de-winterizing and when I engaged the prop it immediately made noise. The bearing and drive shaft fit very snug, no wiggle room at all.

Is there any lubrication requirements for the bearing or should I expect it to be fine in the water?

thanks
Gregg

FrankSchwab
05-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Yes, there is an important lubrication requirement - water.

Never run the prop out of the water; the bushing in the brace (the "strut") is meant to be water cooled and water lubricated. Out of the water, you can expect a terrible screeching sound that makes you think you're torturing all the cats in hell under your boat. Don't ask me how I know that.

If you need to rev up the engine out of water, pull out silver button next to the throttle lever, and it'll disconnect the transmission so you can rev the engine without engaging the prop.

In the water, everything will be fine.

/frank

spicergregg@yahoo.com
05-30-2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the answer. I was hoping that is all it was. I didnt have it in gear for more than a second or two so i am sure it will be fine. I am glad that "somehow" you knew the answer. I have a group of people here at home waiting to see how stupid I really am.
Thanks,
Gregg