PDA

View Full Version : Replacing pre-Vortec with Vortec

dtm
05-30-2011, 04:50 PM
Anyone have experience replacing a pre-Vortec enging with a Vortec? I have a 96' ProStar that needs a new engine and was thinking about replacing with newer model Vortec for a few extra HP. I am concerned about the ECM and TBI working correctly. Any advice?

06x2
05-30-2011, 05:34 PM
The intake manifold bolt pattern is different vortec only has 8 bolts pre vortec has 12 so you tbi intake won't fit

06x2
05-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Does your engine have the Holley style tbi if so you can buy a Edellbrock manifold to mount your tbi onto the vortec head engine also you will need a manual fly wheel for that vortec as your pre vortec flywheel most likely not fit

dtm
05-30-2011, 06:19 PM
I knew I had to replace the intake manifold. The current manifold has an adaptor plate, the TBI bolts on with 3 bolts. Did not know about the flywheel, no one has brought that up before. My main concern has been with the electronics working with the engine correctly.

CantRepeat
05-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Does your engine have the Holley style tbi if so you can buy a Edellbrock manifold to mount your tbi onto the vortec head engine also you will need a manual fly wheel for that vortec as your pre vortec flywheel most likely not fit

I do not believe the flywheel will need to be changed. The heads will not change the crank or the block, which the flywheel and trans bellhousing bolt to.

JimN
05-30-2011, 08:14 PM
Anyone have experience replacing a pre-Vortec enging with a Vortec? I have a 96' ProStar that needs a new engine and was thinking about replacing with newer model Vortec for a few extra HP. I am concerned about the ECM and TBI working correctly. Any advice?

AS noted, your heads are different from the Vortec and the intake won't work but you should be able to find one that does. The OEM intake for the newer engines is a good one, though. The ECM can be recalibrated.

dtm
05-30-2011, 11:14 PM
Where can I go to get info on re-calibrating the ECM for the Vortec?

JimN
05-31-2011, 12:13 AM
Where can I go to get info on re-calibrating the ECM for the Vortec?

Any MC dealer worth a crap will have the programs and can download them into the ECM, assuming the engine matches the comparable Indmar version in all details.