PDA

View Full Version : Replace packing after shaft removal?

shunra
05-30-2011, 03:25 PM
I am in the process of replacing my Damper plate and I removed the prop shaft to do so. Do I have to replace the stuffing in the packing gland? I originally planned to replace it but I can't seem to find the packing material locally and don't want to wait to have it shipped. I wasn't sure if removing and re-installing the shaft would damage the packing or not. Boat is a 2002 X-Star (205V) with the TBI.

FrankSchwab
05-30-2011, 07:22 PM
It'd be a really good idea to replace the packing. 50/50 chance that in removing the shaft you disrupted the packing enough that you'll have a constant stream of water into the boat.

If you don't want to wait, order new packing, put it back together and pray. Look at the packing closely when you go out - will your bilge pump keep up with the flow rate? Remember, you should have half-a-dozen drops a minute or so through the packing.

When you get the new stuff, it's not that hard to pull the old packing and put on the new - maybe an hour or so. There should be some good guides on here.

/frank

76S&S
05-31-2011, 09:17 AM
I would try it with the current packing. It's a PIA to get to it on this model.

shunra
05-31-2011, 11:58 AM
I would try it with the current packing. It's a PIA to get to it on this model.

Wow, your not kiding. It is a tight fit under there.

Having the shaft currently out I found it easier to just remove the whole packing gland and look at it ouside the boat. It is only 1 hose clamp and it came off easily. I was able to verify that the current packing is in tact so I am going to try to re-use it.

How long should one expect packing to last? I have about 500hrs on the boat.

frosty
05-31-2011, 12:52 PM
You might want to consider installing a dripless packing, while you have it all apart.
At this point, I don't think it would be too much more work.
http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1032
More cash, but you don't really want to have to repack it again, do you?

76S&S
05-31-2011, 01:41 PM
Wow, your not kiding. It is a tight fit under there.

Having the shaft currently out I found it easier to just remove the whole packing gland and look at it ouside the boat. It is only 1 hose clamp and it came off easily. I was able to verify that the current packing is in tact so I am going to try to re-use it.

How long should one expect packing to last? I have about 500hrs on the boat.

I only had to change the packing on my last boat once. I had that boat for 29 years and ran it for an untold number of hours (no hour meter).