PDA

View Full Version : check engine buzzer

nanneyman
05-30-2011, 11:38 AM
I have a 2008 PS 197 and this morning the check engine buzzer came on as I was idling. I checked all the gauges and the temp is find, oil pressure is ok and I checked the oil and it's full.
I can press the selector switch and make it go off, but it will come back on after a few minutes. The boat is running great other than the buzzer. Any suggestions of what might be causing the buzzer to come on or what to check next.
thanks
tom

mcskier
05-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Tom,
I'm having a similar issue with my 2008 197 TT. Actually this has been happening intermittantly the 3 years I've owned the boat. Fortunately I live about 2 miles from my local MC dealer and have been able to drive the boat to them immediately after this happens. I’ve brought the boat in for engine alarms not less than 7 times since 2008. Each time, the software has indicated that a temperature spike around 200 degrees has occurred, yet I never see an indication of anything over 170-180 on the dash.

We've looked at and replaced the impeller, t-stat and engine sensor and most recently, we've even had Indmar tell us a possible solution is to drill a hole in the t-stat housing. It seems to me there must be some known defect in some of these boats if they have a PDF diagram documenting it. None of these have ultimately cured the issue, however. The only thing that’s been done is clearing the code and being asked to bring it back in if it happens again.

Finally I’ve gotten to the point where I am tired of bringing it in multiple times per season. Being that we have a track record of this problem dating back to 2008, I am of the opinion that this issue (whatever it takes to correct the overheating) should be covered under warranty. It is quite unfortunate however, that my warranty expired only a month ago in April. Given the history and the way in which the issues have been addressed thus far, I do not feel I should be penalized for something that could have been better diagnosed a long time ago (illness vs. symptom). We are now speculating that there could be an issue with the head gasket.

It seems like most, if not all of the alarms occur when at idle for a period of time, usually right after startup when I've tried to allow the engine to warm up. Perhaps there is some sort of blockage that has been present since the factory. The issues don't ever seem to present themselves when I have the boat at a private ski lake. I think this is indicative of some sort of flow issue when at idle since the boat is never at idle very long on the private lakes.

Does any of this sound similar to your scenario? I'm very curious to know more about your issue. Like yours, my boat seems to be running great except for the buzzer.

-Sam

nanneyman
05-30-2011, 04:26 PM
My boat is also a TT boat! The alarm just started going off today so it's my first experience with it. I am on a mountain lake in North Carolina. I haven't taken the boat anywhere yet to be checked since the closet dealer is about two hours away. I know you said yours has been going off for several years, has the boat over heated or has the alarm been more of a bother? Thanks for your post!

JimN
05-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Tom,
I'm having a similar issue with my 2008 197 TT. Actually this has been happening intermittantly the 3 years I've owned the boat. Fortunately I live about 2 miles from my local MC dealer and have been able to drive the boat to them immediately after this happens. Iíve brought the boat in for engine alarms not less than 7 times since 2008. Each time, the software has indicated that a temperature spike around 200 degrees has occurred, yet I never see an indication of anything over 170-180 on the dash.

We've looked at and replaced the impeller, t-stat and engine sensor and most recently, we've even had Indmar tell us a possible solution is to drill a hole in the t-stat housing. It seems to me there must be some known defect in some of these boats if they have a PDF diagram documenting it. None of these have ultimately cured the issue, however. The only thing thatís been done is clearing the code and being asked to bring it back in if it happens again.

Finally Iíve gotten to the point where I am tired of bringing it in multiple times per season. Being that we have a track record of this problem dating back to 2008, I am of the opinion that this issue (whatever it takes to correct the overheating) should be covered under warranty. It is quite unfortunate however, that my warranty expired only a month ago in April. Given the history and the way in which the issues have been addressed thus far, I do not feel I should be penalized for something that could have been better diagnosed a long time ago (illness vs. symptom). We are now speculating that there could be an issue with the head gasket.

It seems like most, if not all of the alarms occur when at idle for a period of time, usually right after startup when I've tried to allow the engine to warm up. Perhaps there is some sort of blockage that has been present since the factory. The issues don't ever seem to present themselves when I have the boat at a private ski lake. I think this is indicative of some sort of flow issue when at idle since the boat is never at idle very long on the private lakes.

Does any of this sound similar to your scenario? I'm very curious to know more about your issue. Like yours, my boat seems to be running great except for the buzzer.

-Sam

Did your dealer fill out any service tickets or warranty forms? If so, MC knows about it but the dealer may not have looked in the right places.

JimN
05-30-2011, 05:34 PM
I have a 2008 PS 197 and this morning the check engine buzzer came on as I was idling. I checked all the gauges and the temp is find, oil pressure is ok and I checked the oil and it's full.
I can press the selector switch and make it go off, but it will come back on after a few minutes. The boat is running great other than the buzzer. Any suggestions of what might be causing the buzzer to come on or what to check next.
thanks
tom

If it's still under warranty, take it to the dealer.

oumiller28
05-30-2011, 05:51 PM
I had the same issue last summer at Lake Tahoe. Alarm went off and all gauges were fine. It wrecked my 4th of July weekend as I just loaded the boat back up and took it to a repair shop on south lake. They of course did not have the computer to diagnose the problem. All they did/said was everything looks good, tape the alarm to muffle the sound and use the boat and watch the gauges. When I took the boat to a MC dealer they said that there was a voltage spike, and just reset the alarm. They mentioned something about a reset procedure... Iím not sure but I think they said something about starting and stopping the boat 3 times bring it up to temperature then shut it off and wait for it to cool off, 3 cold starts basically. Iím not sure if that works or not but that is how I remember it. I have an 07 X-Star and last July was the only time that it happened to me... so far.
If there is a real reset procedure I hope someone can confirm or correct me.

JimN
05-30-2011, 06:14 PM
I had the same issue last summer at Lake Tahoe. Alarm went off and all gauges were fine. It wrecked my 4th of July weekend as I just loaded the boat back up and took it to a repair shop on south lake. They of course did not have the computer to diagnose the problem. All they did/said was everything looks good, tape the alarm to muffle the sound and use the boat and watch the gauges. When I took the boat to a MC dealer they said that there was a voltage spike, and just reset the alarm. They mentioned something about a reset procedure... Iím not sure but I think they said something about starting and stopping the boat 3 times bring it up to temperature then shut it off and wait for it to cool off, 3 cold starts basically. Iím not sure if that works or not but that is how I remember it. I have an 07 X-Star and last July was the only time that it happened to me... so far.
If there is a real reset procedure I hope someone can confirm or correct me.

"They of course did not have the computer to diagnose the problem. All they did/said was everything looks good, tape the alarm to muffle the sound and use the boat and watch the gauges."

I hope they didn't charge you for this because it served no purpose and taping the buzzer is really irresponsible.

oumiller28
05-30-2011, 06:35 PM
No charge... but they did have 3 different techs/mechanics come and look. I did not use the boat. I guess it gave me more time for the rum runners....

JRLx30
05-31-2011, 02:07 AM
I have 2002 x30 and had similar issues with the alarm buzzer going off. It was a loose ground wire on one of my stereo amps. If the buzzer didn't sound after a long idea out of the marinas, it would sream after a couple minutes at speed. Check all the electical block connections including the batteries cables and alternator.

mcskier
05-31-2011, 03:36 PM
Did your dealer fill out any service tickets or warranty forms? If so, MC knows about it but the dealer may not have looked in the right places.

They said they opened a ticket with Indmar...

cbryan70
05-31-2011, 03:39 PM
could it be a low volt battery Alarm? I beleive Sodar has had this problem with his prostar

mcskier
05-31-2011, 03:45 PM
My boat is also a TT boat! The alarm just started going off today so it's my first experience with it. I am on a mountain lake in North Carolina. I haven't taken the boat anywhere yet to be checked since the closet dealer is about two hours away. I know you said yours has been going off for several years, has the boat over heated or has the alarm been more of a bother? Thanks for your post!

The boat has never really overheated. According to the diagnostics software, while at idle, it has spiked to ~200 degrees and then come right back down a few times. The buzzer is pretty annoying but it never stays hot enough for long enough for me to really worry about it. Especially since the temp ALWAYS come down to 160 once I'm pulling a skier, thereby plenty of circulation in the system.

I'm probably going to steer the dealer to do a head gasket under warranty, since we really can't think of anything else. But I'm open to what others have to say here.

JimN
05-31-2011, 04:36 PM
They said they opened a ticket with Indmar...

That's great, but unless MC changed their warranty procedures, opening a ticket with Indmar isn't the way to address this. It's a MasterCraft boat and while the drive train came from Indmar, the warranty is offered by MC. Since there's a date associated with the Indmar ticket, it may be covered in the event that it's a warranty issue but I can't speak for MC.

nanneyman
05-31-2011, 05:19 PM
I called MC this morning and told them what had happened to me and the responses that I was receiving on the forum. Basically they said there were no know problems with the alarm and to just watch the gauges and go by them. The warranty ran out May 9th on my boat. I may try to take it to the boat repair in town and see if he can read a code on it.
thanks for all the responses. They definitely help!
Tom

JimN
05-31-2011, 06:53 PM
I called MC this morning and told them what had happened to me and the responses that I was receiving on the forum. Basically they said there were no know problems with the alarm and to just watch the gauges and go by them. The warranty ran out May 9th on my boat. I may try to take it to the boat repair in town and see if he can read a code on it.
thanks for all the responses. They definitely help!
Tom

If they walk up to the boat with a little code reader, tell them you want them to run diagnostics, not just get a code. A code reader won't show overheats or data, only code numbers. Also, the scan tool or diagnostic computer needs to be OBD II.

mcskier
06-03-2011, 12:01 AM
Tom,
Please keep me posted on your prognosis. If we are in fact having the same issues, it would be good to pool our collective knowledge.

Best of luck,
Sam

nanneyman
06-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Will do!
thanks
tom

rrskier
06-07-2011, 01:54 AM
The comments by oumiller28 asked the question of manually resetting the alarm. My experience is on my 2007 X7 MCX. Yes, this can be done. Last year while trying to be careful I removed my spark plugs and put in about a teaspoon in each cylinder of gas-oil mix to prelube the cylinder walls. After turning engine over for 5 seconds I reinstalled plugs and started engine. The air sensor did not like the oil mix and the alarm would go on after about four minutes of run time. I live about three hours from a M/C Dealer so with the aid of this forum I learned about starting the engine, running to temperature shutting off then letting cool down. After the third sequence the alarm did not come back on and has stayed off.