PDA

View Full Version : X10 Surf Setup

DBrown2
05-30-2011, 08:28 AM
Let's hear your setup and thoughts.. plus what are you filling or not. My boat is actually a Maristar 210 that the dealer added the same ballast setup as a 2002 X10. Original owner didn't want to wait for another boat.
I have two hard tanks in rear lockers and a ski locker tank. I fill ski and then fill one side full and other half. Seems to work well but not a clean wake.

ddanenberger
05-30-2011, 09:10 AM
Let's hear your setup and thoughts.. plus what are you filling or not. My boat is actually a Maristar 210 that the dealer added the same ballast setup as a 2002 X10. Original owner didn't want to wait for another boat.
I have two hard tanks in rear lockers and a ski locker tank. I fill ski and then fill one side full and other half. Seems to work well but not a clean wake.

Here is the setting from mastercraft for the X-25, may be worth a try for you.

"Here is a message from Zane about the X25. You can see Parks shredding behind the boat in this picture.

Here's a pic from yesterday's Wakeboarding Mag shoot, this is an X25 with stock ballast, full on port & center, 20% down attitude adjustment plate, and rolled 100% left on the surf tabs, at 10.4 MPH, the wake was really nice with just stock set up, in my opinion this is the best surfing boat in our line!!! Be sure to note that the starboard set up is exactly the same but 0.5 to 1 MPH slower."

DBrown2
05-30-2011, 09:44 AM
Thks but have no surf tabs.. anyone else

DBrown2
05-31-2011, 08:00 AM
Anyone after this great weekend

DBrown2
06-27-2011, 08:38 AM
Well... I am bumping this... This past weekend I added... Two Fly High 400lb bags to the rear locker area of the boat... I automatically filled them all... which means Ski Locker Full, Stock Hard Tanks Full, and Two Bags Full..

First off the boat, with just me and the wife... thru a crazy Wakeboard wake, but at Surf Speeds, would not begin to Setdown.. I had her move to the front... not helping... So needless to say good thing I ordered the FlyHigh Intergrated Bow Bag same time... that will set it down...

Well to the Point... I drained Starboard.. empty... at this point I had picked up 3 people so a total of 5 in the boat. The wake... for surf was bigger... but it was just Washed the wave was constantly rolling on to the board. My rope is still setup from Last year when I was riding on all stock X10 Setup which is again just Ski Locker, and Two Hard Tanks. I ran last year all this just full, and I let go of the rope and rode alot this way.

So to my question. Has now the sweet spot moved back in the Wave, and I need to lengthen my rope setup? or do I need to work on cleaning the wake. I have no video right now, but ... He is my discription... My rope had me about 1-2 foot back from where the center wave first meets before it rolls out left and right. I adjusted it just a little, for more to the 2 foot, but still on the wave roll out it was washing on the board.

From the Youtube videos I have watched the good waves dont have this roll(splash) on to the board. That just doesnt happen.

So answer what are you doing in a X10 or Like kind for a good setup, and then how can I clean my wake back up. Please refrain from saying hey this X15 or X25 or XStar.. I adjust the surf tabs, and or Wake Tab... I dont have that... so that what help the situation.

meotoole
06-27-2011, 10:39 AM
I have an 05 X-10 and ride on the starboard side. I fill the rear hard tank and the KGB half full. I also fill a 450lb bag in the rear locker and 400lb bag behind the driver seat. I have found that with 4+ people in the boat it is best to put at least one person in the front. This creates a longer pocket and gives the wave a better shape.

DBrown2
06-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Thks I will try half fill locker never have done that

Brian B
06-27-2011, 12:31 PM
It would be nice to get all of these x10 surf threads merged.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=41808

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=41656

Here's a video of me surfing behind my x10. All 3 oem tanks full. One 540 pound sac in the port locker, and another 540 pound sac on the port seats. (Disregard the 1200 pounds of ballast comment)

http://vimeo.com/25383479

DBrown2
06-27-2011, 03:47 PM
I saw your post.. and this video.. I will work on it this weekend.. with options posted .

MC4SNETS
06-27-2011, 08:39 PM
I don't have an X-10 but my 2001 MariStar has the same hull. I don't have factory ballast either I have two 750 lb Fat Sacks....

So I have been playing around with placing the sack that's not in the surf-side locker. I tried a bunch of places - rear seat, port seat, rear floor and bow floor.

Bow floor was the spot and created an awesome wake that is tall, curved and long enough to keep the surfer away from the boat with lots of room to maneuver.

If this link (http://www.flickr.com/photos/9529337@N06/5878608731/in/set-72157626939248195/)works you will see a beginner on about his fifth time surfing, first time on the wake using this setup.....made it very easy for him.

Again, 750 lbs in the surf-side locker and as full as I could get the 750 lb bag on the floor of the bow all the way forward.

Results:

Good wake
All seating is useable
Bow of boat is way lower and I can see forward while driving from the seat.

oumiller28
06-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Great videos!!! I have a question for you wake surfers... is speed not as big of a factor??? I see everyone talking about ballast and where they are putting it but nothing about speed??? I will be the driver of a 07 X-Star this weekend with friends that want to wakesurf. I am used to wakeboarding and speed is as much a factor as ballast. Is this not the same for surfing?
So far all I know is go 10.4 and fill up one side of the ballast... but ballast placment and speed all make the wake shape. Please help me!!!
I am just a wakeboarder, and all it takes is 70' off at 22mph with full factory ballast and dont be a puss!
I really dont want to be the guy in the boat that everyone wants to ride behind and I cant make a surf wake.... Please help!!! My friend has a bu vls wake$hiter and I cant let him out do me!!!

DBrown2
06-27-2011, 10:01 PM
Thanks for input hope to get bow ballast in this week.

So quick brain Fart question.. if u load one side are u riding the side u loaded or the opposite side that's empty. I thought I read u ride the empty or less weight side of boat.

Thks again keep thoughts coming

MC4SNETS
06-28-2011, 12:30 AM
Speed is going to depend on your boat. I can't tell you how fast for your particular setup. Like a wakeboard wake, one boat makes a clean wake at 17 and one at 19.....and someone said 22.

For the surf setup I described in my last post my speedo reads 11 MPH. I have no idea if that is accurate....I have a regular speedo and no perfect pass. With my surf setup I am at 11 MPH and 2700-2800 RPM. Once I hit that it's like cruise control it does not vary like when I'm pulling a wakeboarder and constantly adjusting the throttle to maintain a speed.

For my surf wake, if I deviate from the 11 MPH/2700-2800 RPM, the wake definately changes.

Moral of the story is that you have to play around with speed, ballast and person distribution until you have done it enough to know exactly what to adjust if it's not quite right. Once you get it remember it and remember what changes you made and how it affected the wake.

An example I witnessed: Wife was in the bow we were cruising a good wake and she decided to shoot some video....she got up and started shooting from the middle of the boat.....the wake changed......didn't kill it but I and my surfer saw the difference. Probably less variation the bigger the boat though.

I'm rambling.....but yes, speed is a factor.

DBrown2
06-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Last year... we pulled at 10.2, Like you said it was cruise control. The wife would just set the handle, and roll with it. I do have PP but not set it yet, cause of still fine tuning the wave.

After more reading last night, I am correct in the way I have been doing it since adding the extra ballast. You ride the less weighted side, one thing I have not checked is the platform disturbing the wake... All the youtube videos and the ones on here, show what I had last year. The rider side, had only a clean wave, with no roll over splash from the middle. The splash in other words went to the opposite side.

In theory I was hoping for something simple load up a side, and Wow look at that huge Wake. But I found once I took over driving this weekend, and helping a beginner. I constantly was adding to the empty side, and the wake was getting cleaner.

Anyone else... Have sweet wake with a X10 or Maristar.

DBrown2
07-24-2011, 07:27 AM
Update. I was wrong you ride the heaviest weighted side. When its just me and the wife I fill ski locker and bow bag. Then Fill rear passenger hard tank and the new 400 lb bag on same side. Clean wake. Yesterday took out a crew of people and man what a PIA trying to setup. I had people moving like musical chairs all over. Since non surfed yet they felt a little pissy cause I kept yelling from behind to move. So in the end I did same above plus moved 200 pound guy to rear driver side then other 250 pound buddy to front passenger and one 100 girl sitting observation passenger and another 100 sitting front passenger.

No wonder so many post on setups but u learn truly as the day goes and its a semi guessing thing.

For giggles I had everyone sit rear passenger and holy freak what a wave but I couldn't clean it up to washed out.

CantRepeat
07-24-2011, 07:42 AM
I don't have an X-10 but my 2001 MariStar has the same hull. I don't have factory ballast either I have two 750 lb Fat Sacks....

So I have been playing around with placing the sack that's not in the surf-side locker. I tried a bunch of places - rear seat, port seat, rear floor and bow floor.

Bow floor was the spot and created an awesome wake that is tall, curved and long enough to keep the surfer away from the boat with lots of room to maneuver.

If this link (http://www.flickr.com/photos/9529337@N06/5878608731/in/set-72157626939248195/)works you will see a beginner on about his fifth time surfing, first time on the wake using this setup.....made it very easy for him.

Again, 750 lbs in the surf-side locker and as full as I could get the 750 lb bag on the floor of the bow all the way forward.

Results:

Good wake
All seating is useable
Bow of boat is way lower and I can see forward while driving from the seat.

You should get all the people in that boat to sit on the port side.

CantRepeat
07-24-2011, 07:52 AM
Last year... we pulled at 10.2, Like you said it was cruise control. The wife would just set the handle, and roll with it. I do have PP but not set it yet, cause of still fine tuning the wave.

After more reading last night, I am correct in the way I have been doing it since adding the extra ballast. You ride the less weighted side, one thing I have not checked is the platform disturbing the wake... All the youtube videos and the ones on here, show what I had last year. The rider side, had only a clean wave, with no roll over splash from the middle. The splash in other words went to the opposite side.

In theory I was hoping for something simple load up a side, and Wow look at that huge Wake. But I found once I took over driving this weekend, and helping a beginner. I constantly was adding to the empty side, and the wake was getting cleaner.

Anyone else... Have sweet wake with a X10 or Maristar.

You might go back to putting as much weight and people on the surf side and then start adding weight to the front to clean the lip. I wouldn't add any weight on the non surf side.

Brian B
07-24-2011, 05:36 PM
For giggles I had everyone sit rear passenger and holy freak what a wave but I couldn't clean it up to washed out.

Try pulling the weight from the bow. And thats standard with your passengers. If your boat isnt seriously leaning, you're not doing it right! :)

DBrown2
07-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Brian.. she leans trust me. The platform was 8-10 inch deep under water while the other side was lifted way out of water.

I will look at empty some of the bow bag