PDA

View Full Version : Alternater question

rem_pss308
05-29-2011, 08:48 PM
So my stupid sister sits in my boat and listened to the radio till the batteries died. ( 2) optima blue tops. she turned the key to the on position in stead of the acc position.

When I got to my boat the key was on. and the batteries were dead.

after charging the batteries. I tried cranking the boat. and the belt was squeeling.

come to findout the alternator was froze up.

My question is :

if the key is turn to the on position ( about 2 oclock position ) can this fry the alternator. or did something else cause my alternator to freeze up.

When I last ran my boat. it was running fine. and the alternator was charging fine.

thanks ahead for any input.

JimN
05-29-2011, 09:20 PM
So my stupid sister sits in my boat and listened to the radio till the batteries died. ( 2) optima blue tops. she turned the key to the on position in stead of the acc position.

When I got to my boat the key was on. and the batteries were dead.

after charging the batteries. I tried cranking the boat. and the belt was squeeling.

come to findout the alternator was froze up.

My question is :

if the key is turn to the on position ( about 2 oclock position ) can this fry the alternator. or did something else cause my alternator to freeze up.

When I last ran my boat. it was running fine. and the alternator was charging fine.

thanks ahead for any input.

Was it not turning at all? I have never seen that. I could see how it would happen, though. If the field is energized, the slip rings could freeze because of the current constantly passing through them.

IMO, she owes you. If you don't want a family feud, give her a good talking to and explain what she should have done and why.

Personally, I would have it rebuilt.

rem_pss308
05-30-2011, 09:14 AM
When I finally got the battery chaged. the belt was squeeling. after a few seconds ithe belt broke. . I checked the pully and it was frozen and would not move at all.

I have an extra alternator, and have an excellent repairman who will rebuild it pretty cheap.

Its a single wire alternator, and I dont understand how it could mess it up. with the motor not running.

JimN
05-30-2011, 09:53 AM
When I finally got the battery chaged. the belt was squeeling. after a few seconds ithe belt broke. . I checked the pully and it was frozen and would not move at all.

I have an extra alternator, and have an excellent repairman who will rebuild it pretty cheap.

Its a single wire alternator, and I dont understand how it could mess it up. with the motor not running.

I don't remember the LTR's alternator having only one wire. Do you see a thin purple wire in the area with a tubular terminal on the end? That should go on the EXC post. Can you post a photo of the original alternator?

Does your engine have a fixed idler pulley for the belt, with no spring-loaded tensioner? If so, the belt may have been too tight and that would wear out the bearings.

Philscbx
05-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Had to be simply a coincidence.
Single wire GM alternators are pretty tough.
It's bearings must have been making noise earlier, as they are the only thing that can seize and lock.

Your rebuilder with confirm the same.
As Jim stated, belt too tight will overload bearings on all components.

Running the key on, engine off is only an issue with older ignitions with points.
If they are closed with key on, it can cook the ignition coil.

rem_pss308
05-30-2011, 11:36 AM
It is not the original alternator. It has been changed to single wire.

It has the spring loaded belt tensioner.

Maybe just coinsidence. could the spring loaded belt tensioner let it be too tight. the belt just does go on when the tensioner is lowered.