PDA

View Full Version : 93 prosatr alt. upgrade

SoCal205
05-29-2011, 03:02 PM
I have a 93 prostar with the 351 ho and need to upgrade the alternator for stereo and lights. Skidim has a 100 amp alt. for pcm gt40 engine. does anyone know if this will work on my indmar engine. Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

robin
05-30-2011, 12:27 AM
Id take it to a local alternator/ auto electric shop. My local 1 claimed to be able to upgrade mine from the OEM 50 amps to about 75....about half the price of a new 1..... i ran out of funds this winter (new amp, sub, water pumps, strut), but that was going to be my approach...

east tx skier
05-30-2011, 01:47 AM
I have a 93 prostar with the 351 ho and need to upgrade the alternator for stereo and lights. Skidim has a 100 amp alt. for pcm gt40 engine. does anyone know if this will work on my indmar engine. Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Does skidim list different alternators for PCM and Indmar 351 engines? If so, I don't think it would be compatible. The PCM GT-40 is, apart from the block and heads, a bit of a different animal than the 351 HO in your 93. Things are just located in different places and are just different enough that I'm guessing there's something not compatible about the setup skidim sells.

Don't know, but have a hunch. Used to have a 93 MC with a 351HO. Now have a PCM GT-40.

SoCal205
05-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Robin from what I've read just upgrading OEM alt. for more amps they tend not to last very long becuase they end up running hotter. I really don't know but thats what I've read on some sites. Maybe someone here has done that and can chime in with their experiences. East other than a serpentine belt does the alt. look like it attaches the same?

east tx skier
05-30-2011, 07:30 PM
I don't have a serpentine belt. Two separate belts. I don't know that it's different. But the mounting setup may be different.

east tx skier
05-31-2011, 03:19 PM
By the way, here's a picture of the PCM engine in question. I'd suggest calling skidim and asking them though. That's the easiest way to get the right answer.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-cJ51PTGaXCc/Sl3oTW2nnWI/AAAAAAAACXo/OGD10mW49AE/s800/GT40.jpg

robin
06-01-2011, 12:59 PM
i was thinking about upgrading my alternator this winter as well. mine has a 50 amp alternator, and i contacted skidim about upgrading it. they had a 75 amp one that was feasible, but recommended i contact a dealer concerning electrical system side effects concerning more amps being pumped out. my dealer is not a MC dealer anymore, and the next closest never returned my calls. i then almost pulled the trigger on our local auto electric place upgrading it. when it comes to local shops upgrading it, im sure this probably varies quite a bit on the skills of their technicians. i ended up going a different route. i replaced my old heat generating, electricity hog amp for a Jl class d xd600/6. i also added an on board charger (as you shouldnt rely on an alternator to fully charge anyways). my new amp uses a fraction of the power of my old one, and sounds night and day better. with my old amp, the stereo pumping / engine off would kill the house battery after less then an hour. the JL is still pumping after 2 hours this spring putting in the pier, and the battery still had a lot of juice to give....just something to consider.