PDA

View Full Version : Laptop

JEREMY79
07-22-2005, 10:30 AM
I am looking for a new laptop. I am about as computer literate as a monkey. What would I need here is what I am gonna do. Keep in mind I dont want to spend alot.

Will need to store alot of pics.
Fast internet capability
CD burner
DVD capability
Be able to watch movies

Well I'm sure there is more but I cannot think of it. Thanks Guys

bcampbe7
07-22-2005, 10:33 AM
Look at the Dell Inspiron 6000. It will do what you are looking to do and is only $674, which is a good price for a laptop. It is also widescreen so DVD's will look great.

milkmania
07-22-2005, 10:33 AM
DVD Burner!!!

that way you don't have to "store" pics and have them inevitibly lost when the HDD crashes

or as someone else has learned..... when the laptop gets stolen:(

bradamerry
07-22-2005, 10:35 AM
I'm on a Dell Inspiron 1100, does well for us..

stevo137
07-22-2005, 10:45 AM
Dell Latitude. Loaded for bear!
No problems. Great machine.
I use it anywhere in the house with wireless DSL.

dmac
07-22-2005, 10:49 AM
Look at the Dell Inspiron 6000. It will do what you are looking to do and is only $674, which is a good price for a laptop. It is also widescreen so DVD's will look great.
I have bought Inspirons for both daughters for their college quests, you can add some enhancements to the $674 price and get a very good machine. Corporately we are Dell users, laptops and desktops. They are strong and reliable.

RickDV
07-22-2005, 10:53 AM
I am looking for a new laptop. I am about as computer literate as a monkey. What would I need here is what I am gonna do. Keep in mind I dont want to spend alot.

Will need to store alot of pics.
Fast internet capability
CD burner
DVD capability
Be able to watch movies

Well I'm sure there is more but I cannot think of it. Thanks Guys

I am partial to Dell and IBM laptops. Dell will probably get you the best deal for your money.
Here's a site that gives a good comparrison on all kinds of laptops:
http://www.laptopadvisor.com/

If you don't need a Windows machine, you can also check out the Apple iBook. http://www.apple.com/ibook/

If you're planning on digital photos, definitely get a DVD burner.

Good luck on your hunt.

3event
07-22-2005, 10:56 AM
I also vote for the DVD burner, otherwise you will want it later and have to pay more (cheaper to add to desktop). Dell is a good choice, but don't get their low end unit. I have used one for work, and have had problems with touchpad/mouse , and heat dissipation. Unit gets too hot, fans dont work well, and it "freaks out"

Lake_Tippy_Skier
07-22-2005, 11:25 AM

:wavey: Just bought this about a month ago and cannot be more happy with it. :headbang:

JEREMY79
07-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Looks like dell is the crowd favorite.
What kind of memory should I look for, ect.

Thanks

bcampbe7
07-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Looks like dell is the crowd favorite.
What kind of memory should I look for, ect.

Thanks

It has been my experience that with laptops to go ahead and buy the memory when you buy the laptop. While not necessary at the moment, I would go with 512MB is I were you.
With a desktop it is very easy and inexpensive to add RAM yourself.

RickDV
07-22-2005, 12:00 PM
It has been my experience that with laptops to go ahead and buy the memory when you buy the laptop. While not necessary at the moment, I would go with 512MB is I were you.
With a desktop it is very easy and inexpensive to add RAM yourself.

I agree with 512MB as the minimum. You may want to consider getting this on a single stick.

Laptops generally have 2 slots for memory sticks. If you order 512MB it will come in (2) 256MB sticks. Upgrading later will mean discarding one or both sticks to get to 768MB or 1GB.

It will cost a bit more to get 512MB on a single stick, but if you plan on upgrading later it will save you money down the road.

phecksel
07-22-2005, 12:14 PM
I'm not a Dell fan, bad experiences :( And their support severely lacks

I found a fantastic deal on Compaq 2200, which I'm still shaking my head over. After Rebates, I got a printer scanner, back up software, digital camera, and laptop for a rediculous $400!

For configuration, definitely DVD burner and minimum memory of 512Mb.

Couple of friends have been extremely satisfied with new IBM laptops. Very durable.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-22-2005, 12:21 PM
I was just at an IT seminar last week. I saw something that I was impressed with, and if I had not just bought the Sony I would jump on it. Not sure what it is going for but.... It does not use log in and passwords. It has a built in fingerprint scanner. Now that is cool

IBM.

bcampbe7
07-22-2005, 12:23 PM
I was just at an IT seminar last week. I saw something that I was impressed with, and if I had not just bought the Sony I would jump on it. Not sure what it is going for but.... It does not use log in and passwords. It has a built in fingerprint scanner. Now that is cool

Had that on my old work laptop (just got a new one yesterday). It worked great, I loved it...

mattsn
07-22-2005, 12:31 PM
While all the above are worthy of their price, the ultimate value for a multi-media laptop is an Apple G4 Powerbook. I have owned one for several years and it has been no problem and preforms at a MC level.

LakePirate
07-22-2005, 12:33 PM
DVD Burner!!!

that way you don't have to "store" pics and have them inevitibly lost when the HDD crashes

or as someone else has learned..... when the laptop gets stolen:(
Hey Be Nice!

As a replacement I got a 2 gig of RAM and 80 gig hard-drive, but my is a work horse and I have to run several apps at once. I would recommend that you go ahead and try and get a 1 gig of ram as many of today's applications require it.

As a piece of advice do not buy a lap top from the dell financial auction. Did that once and it takes a big memory dump every time you boot it up and the registry is all jacked up.

mattsn
07-22-2005, 01:28 PM
While all of the above are worth their stated price, for the best mult-media machine, look at an Apple Powerbook G4. I have owned one for 2 years and it is a great machine. MC quality.

Ric
07-22-2005, 01:29 PM
what is dell financial auction?

LakePirate
07-22-2005, 01:38 PM
Dell financial services has an auction site where you are bidding on laptops/desktops that have been turned in off of leases. We were in a bind and needed a good lap top quick and cheap so we went this route. Now it is a test pc that I use to jack around on the test network with.

Dell claims that they are refurbished and I am sure that you can get a good deal on a good pc but you are only saving a couple of hundred and the risk is too great IMO.