PDA

View Full Version : Wakesurfing or Wakeboarding??

RustyMC
05-29-2011, 09:22 AM
Looking for suggestions on getting into new sport for me and my family. I am a pretty decent slalom skier; wife is a beginner skier. I am interested in taking up either surfing or boarding and asking for input from the group on this topic.

1) I have a 2000 205V (no ballast). Any recommendations for tweaks to boat for to decrease learning curve for either?

2) I have 2 kids: ages 5 and 7. Would like to get them involved too - 7 yr old is learning to ski now. Would surfing be safe/enjoyable for them?

We are on the water most every weekend and my family loves the boat. Thanks for your input.

Jerseydave
05-29-2011, 11:46 AM
First of all welcome! Your boat should work great for all of those sports.
Do you have a tower on it? For wakeboarding it's a big plus, but not a necessity.

If you have a tower, learn to wakeboard using a short rope (non-stretch) 40-50 ft is best. The upward pull will help beginners when getting up.

Other 205V owner can suggest the best way to weight the boat for surfing. Fly High sacs work best with a Tsunami pump IMHO.

Be warned, once you teach your kids how to wakeboard they probably won't want to ski much anymore. (it happens)

We usually surf in the afternoon when the water is too rough for anything else.

gatorguy
05-29-2011, 12:12 PM
If your just learning you don't need ballast for boarding. I'm no pro, but I think it's easier to teach a kid to board than it is to teach them to surf.

Your boat should be fine for all of them. I have a 205 dd and we do all three and love it.

oumiller28
05-29-2011, 01:26 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=483&pictureid=3169

Your kids will love wakeboarding!! My do, I have two girls and they started at 4 and 7. The picture above is when my oldest went to here first wakeboarding compitition and won. I highly recomend getting, "The Book" (If you can get the whole series not just one) for wakeboarding no matter how much you want to progress. It really shows how to teach kids how to get up on a wakboard. I taught about half of my daughters soccer team last year. We started on the grass then into the shallows then behind the boat. They all were able to wakeboard. Thanks to "The Book" learning their way kinda takes the fear out of it all for little kids. Im 37 and my goal this summer is to do a Raily... the book will get me there! Good Luck!

RustyMC
05-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Everyone, thanks for the responses. No tower on the boat (yet).

As for wakeboards, are there any recommendations for the kids?

SoCal205
05-29-2011, 03:55 PM
I go to evo.com for boards for my girls. Their outlet seems to be the least expensive if you dont mind getting last years model.