PDA

View Full Version : Amplifier faulting

mseller
05-29-2011, 10:07 AM
So in my 2008 X45 I upgraded the JL m4500 to the JL MHD600/4 and it's been working fine for a couple weeks. Yesterday I noticed my tower speakers weren't playing and I took a look at my amp and the status light was blinking between red and green. According to the owners manual I have a fault that may be being caused by low voltage. Any ideas on why this would be happening?

I may try to switch the battery switch to "combine batteries" to make sure both batteries are charging and see what happens then...but im thinking i may have to return the amp to where I bought it

JimN
05-29-2011, 10:44 AM
So in my 2008 X45 I upgraded the JL m4500 to the JL MHD600/4 and it's been working fine for a couple weeks. Yesterday I noticed my tower speakers weren't playing and I took a look at my amp and the status light was blinking between red and green. According to the owners manual I have a fault that may be being caused by low voltage. Any ideas on why this would be happening?

I may try to switch the battery switch to "combine batteries" to make sure both batteries are charging and see what happens then...but im thinking i may have to return the amp to where I bought it

Do you know how to use a multi-meter? Get one and learn, if you don't. Harbor Freight and other big box stores has them and you don't need an expensive one.

mseller
05-29-2011, 12:31 PM
I measured both batteries and they both measured 12.8 Volts. Then I went and measured the amplifier input voltage and measured 12.56 V. Guess it's not a voltage issue...

JimN
05-29-2011, 12:48 PM
I measured both batteries and they both measured 12.8 Volts. Then I went and measured the amplifier input voltage and measured 12.56 V. Guess it's not a voltage issue...

Your batteries should read about 13.2VDC at rest, after a full charge- each cell is good for about 2.2V. If you're using an isolator, that will usually cause a voltage drop of about .7VDC and that puts you in the voltage range.

How did you measure the voltage- across the amp's + and - terminals, or from the amp's + terminal to the battery? If it you measured it at the battery, clean the terminals, run it for a while and recheck it. You also need to check it right at the amp's + and - terminals, then move the probe that's on the - terminal to the battery - post. If you see a difference, you have a problem with the negative wire's terminals or hte cable itself.

When you measure the battery voltage, measure from post to post first. Then, move from the + post to the + clamp and to each connection in the power line. If you notice more than .1VDC drop from point to point, you need to address each one because the voltage drop can cause a wide range of problems and you won't know when they'll come up until they happen.