PDA

View Full Version : cleaning a prop and rubber

dietdewboy
05-29-2011, 07:04 AM
Just wondering if any one had a tip for cleaning a prop and rudder? Mine is is looking a bit dingy these days.

woobiedmd
05-29-2011, 09:52 AM
Brasso. I started cleaning mine once last summer and then realized- WhY?

Skywalker
05-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Brasso. I started cleaning mine once last summer and then realized- WhY?

AMEN!! Whats the point!!

SkiDog
05-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Just wondering if any one had a tip for cleaning a prop and rudder? Mine is is looking a bit dingy these days.

Unless you plan on showing your boat anytime soon, forget cleaning & polishing the rudder & prop. Its a COMPLETE waste of time. It takes HOURS & HOURS to shine those things to where a small glimmer will appear. Been there, done that! It has no performance enhancement at all, and you get really dirty in the process!

JLeuck64
05-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Aww... Cmon!
We could start up a thread dedicated to shiny props and rudders!!!
Give them teak platform boys a run for their money LOL.

dietdewboy
05-29-2011, 01:14 PM
I realize there is no performance gain, its a matter of personal pride. My 1996 ProStar looks brand new, better than it did the day I rolled it off the show room floor and I wanna keep it that way. I keep on a lift down at our dock so it is visible to every one who drives by, the rest of the boat looks so good but the prop and rudder are the weakest link. I dont want to polish it out just clean it up a bit.

BrianM
05-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Some Mothers on a powerball will work or even a bit of rubbing compound like 3m Superduty. But if your water isn't crystal clear the first time you run the boat any work you do will vanish.

woobiedmd
05-29-2011, 02:06 PM
That sure is a shiny hull!

Skipper
05-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Aww... Cmon!
We could start up a thread dedicated to shiny props and rudders!!!
Give them teak platform boys a run for their money LOL.

That is an odd looking rudder. Is it standard equipment? Nicely polished but not typical...

JLeuck64
05-29-2011, 08:37 PM
That is an odd looking rudder. Is it standard equipment? Nicely polished but not typical...

Yes, standard for the 98 hull to fix its performance. Oh and I never polished it that's what it looked like when I had to replace it after hitting a submerged log. It now looks dirty like the rest of em!

Skipper
05-30-2011, 10:26 PM
I imagine the concept is that the wings provide lift to the stern reducing the wake table...how is steering effected?