PDA

View Full Version : overheated

kidz917
05-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Put the boat in the water last week and it ran fine. Went to go wakeboarding today and notice that the temperature gauge was reading 200. Called the marina and asked them what the temperature should be. Couldn't remember from last year. They told me 200-210. Started to wakeboard and the temperature increases to 230 and smoke was comming oout the back end, Shut it down. Temperature dropped to 160. Started it up again and temperature increases again. Placed it back on thre shorestation, Any ideas what the issue is? I hope I didn't do any other damage. Smelt a little rubber burning though. How do I fix it?

Summer just started

Barefooter92
05-28-2011, 10:37 PM
started the same way last year here. Your temp without a hot water shower should be 160F. If you have a hot water shower they install a 180F t-stat. At any rate you should not be over 180F. 200F is too hot.

My problem was a clogged trans cooler. Remove your hoses and back flush the trans cooler you may have weeds impacted on the trans cooler. The cooler is similar to a heat exchanger so there is a screen looking mesh inline to the impeller housing. I used a kids water cannon to force water backwards throug the transmission cooler. The plastic you were smelling is the impeller burning due to a lack of water. You will need to change that once your cleaned out.

Really simple fix, should only take you 5 mins.

Good luck

JimN
05-28-2011, 11:27 PM
Put the boat in the water last week and it ran fine. Went to go wakeboarding today and notice that the temperature gauge was reading 200. Called the marina and asked them what the temperature should be. Couldn't remember from last year. They told me 200-210. Started to wakeboard and the temperature increases to 230 and smoke was comming oout the back end, Shut it down. Temperature dropped to 160. Started it up again and temperature increases again. Placed it back on thre shorestation, Any ideas what the issue is? I hope I didn't do any other damage. Smelt a little rubber burning though. How do I fix it?

Summer just started

The burning rubber isn't the impeller, it's your exhaust hoses and plastic flanges. Lift the flaps and look into the exhaust ports- if you see blisters, go back into the boat and squeeze the hoses- they should be firm, not soft. Feel and look for holes in the exhaust hoses and if you find holes or blisters, replace them.

It's likely that your impeller is bad and 200 degrees is too hot. FYI- if you overheat, let it cool down to the point that nothing feels hot. Cool or cold water coming into contact with extremely hot cast iron is a good way to irreparably damage your engine.

kskonn
05-28-2011, 11:28 PM
Might also want to check your raw water filter, if you have one. Could be clogged, your impell could be clogged as well.

kidz917
05-31-2011, 09:57 AM
thanks for the info