PDA

View Full Version : First day out

FrankSchwab
05-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Well, after a cool spring and being blown-out on a few scheduled days, we finally hit the lake for the first time this year.

I have nothing but praise for those engineers who brought us fuel injection and electronic ignition - after a 7 month layoff, I backed the trailer into the water, the wife hit the starter, and within 3 seconds she had it in reverse backing it off the trailer.

Beautiful water, beautiful morning temperatures, and we took the puppy out for her first boating experience (she had a great time).

The interesting thing was that, as we were pulling off the lake around 1:00 PM, the parking lot wasn't full. Normally, on the Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend, every space is taken and boats are held at Los Pobrecitos parking lot until spaces open up. Not today; maybe the price of gas is keeping people away?

SkiDog
05-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Well, after a cool spring and being blown-out on a few scheduled days, we finally hit the lake for the first time this year.

I have nothing but praise for those engineers who brought us fuel injection and electronic ignition - after a 7 month layoff, I backed the trailer into the water, the wife hit the starter, and within 3 seconds she had it in reverse backing it off the trailer.

Beautiful water, beautiful morning temperatures, and we took the puppy out for her first boating experience (she had a great time).

The interesting thing was that, as we were pulling off the lake around 1:00 PM, the parking lot wasn't full. Normally, on the Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend, every space is taken and boats are held at Los Pobrecitos parking lot until spaces open up. Not today; maybe the price of gas is keeping people away?

I wouldn't doubt that for a second!:mad:

smoketu
05-28-2011, 08:27 PM
What lake? Hope that holds true tomorrow.

TNPIG
05-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Took my new to me 1984 S&S out for the first time since the test drive in Feb. Took forever to start, but once he did he ran great all day. Previous owner told me it would take a minute after sitting cold for a few months. Now I just have to learn to slalom

03geetee
05-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Took my new to me 1984 S&S out for the first time since the test drive in Feb. Took forever to start, but once he did he ran great all day. Previous owner told me it would take a minute after sitting cold for a few months. Now I just have to learn to slalom

Take a small glass container or plastic bottle made for fuels with you on your first start. Dump about 4 to 5 oz of fuel directly into the carb with the throttle open. Advance the throttle to about 1500 rpm and start her she will fire right up and then die, usually does for me anyway. Turn the key again with a couple pumps of the throttle and bam shes golden.

Works for me after hibernation for over a few months or more.

JTR

FrankSchwab
05-29-2011, 01:47 AM
We were at Saguaro.

TNPIG
05-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Take a small glass container or plastic bottle made for fuels with you on your first start. Dump about 4 to 5 oz of fuel directly into the carb with the throttle open. Advance the throttle to about 1500 rpm and start her she will fire right up and then die, usually does for me anyway. Turn the key again with a couple pumps of the throttle and bam shes golden.

Works for me after hibernation for over a few months or more.

JTR

Thanks for the advice. Just straight down the carb? Any particular area, or do I need to take something off? Still trying to get familiar with everything on the boat. I know these machines are made for skiing which is why I got it, but I could cruise around all day in it.

Iskidaily
05-29-2011, 10:38 AM
[/COLOR]

I wouldn't doubt that for a second!:mad:

the folks on our lake seemed completely unaffected by the price of gas. Made the tube runs extra bumpy for the kids, so that was the good thing. Wildlife officers have been ALL OVER this weekend. <Lake Gaston NC / VA>

03geetee
05-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the advice. Just straight down the carb? Any particular area, or do I need to take something off? Still trying to get familiar with everything on the boat. I know these machines are made for skiing which is why I got it, but I could cruise around all day in it.

I just usually pop the spark arrester on top of the carb, move it to the side. Then open the throttle enough for the front two barrels to open and dump half in each of the front barrels. Then quickly, or have someone else do it, open the throttle hair and start it. Boat should do exactly what I said.

I hear you on the cruising part thats all I have done for 3 days.

JTR