PDA

View Full Version : i didnt warp a head, i didnt warp a head, i didnt...

willyt
05-27-2011, 11:02 AM
OK...
So long story (its in the 1000 leagues under the sea post find it HERE (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=41200) ) but my boat was run for about 2-3 minutes max while overheating and went into limp mode twice (shut her down very soon afterwards). I dont believe i ever saw the temp gauge get to 240 (but with no water in the engine i'm not sure that means much). It really was an emergency situation so I'm not sure i could have done anything differently (btw where the hell is the shutoff for the raw water pickup? i couldnt find it)

Ran fine after the first limp, but i'm pretty worried i may have done some serious damage to the boat because of the overheating (its a 05 MCX, so ive got the cast iron working in my favor).

I never smelled burnt rubber from the exhaust hoses, and I don't remember alot of smoke. Risers didnt get hot enough to melt my starboard pastic dividers that touch them. I'm getting new impeller screws and gasket today from my unnamed repair place, so i wanted to run her in the driveway for awhile to make sure there's no serious damage and she'll be ok for this weekend.

What should i be looking for? I'll obviously watch my temp very very closely when running in the driveway, make sure there's no milk in the trans or engine oil, tighten that stupid L bracket (or see if its missing - unnamed repair place said they didnt touch anything relating to the cooling system, so we'll see if that checks out), check the exhaust hoses for thinness/crispyness, check the impeller, check the trans cooler screen for bits of impeller, and general water-tightness. Anything else i should inspect?

CantRepeat
05-27-2011, 11:54 AM
One thing I would still check is the exhaust hoses. I know you say you didn't smell them but I would still try and squeeze them and see if they are burned up on the inside. If you can squeeze them together with little effort they are probably burned up on the inside and just waiting to give you hell.

stewvette
05-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Compression check.

Hollywood
05-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Compression check.

Will tell you if there is an elephant in there.

willyt
05-28-2011, 12:32 AM
Update - checked the oil first thing, looked good. Exhaust hoses are still very firm. No bits of impeller in the trans cooler screen. Ran her for 20 mins in the driveway. Looked sounded and smelled good - all systems seemed normal. Reved her to about 3500 rpm and still sounded like a champ. Checked oil after I ran her, oil still looked good. No oil in bilge. Did I dodge a bullet on this one?

Kyle
05-28-2011, 12:48 AM
So no water in the oil and no water dripping out from the block and head mate or where freeze Plugs are????

If no, no, and no are the answers the bullet has been dodged.

Have a fun weekend.

Kyle
05-28-2011, 12:50 AM
The true test will be when you drive the boat under load. Run around for a while and check the oil on the lake just for safety.

willyt
05-31-2011, 10:23 AM
Update -
After 3 very successful days on the boat no sign of oil in the bilge any of the days, and the oil dipstick looked like it was reading at the same level when i pulled her out at 10pm last night.

Certainly hasnt lost any power, had 2500lbs with 5 people on the boat and still had to hold back on the holeshot. Thanks to all

ntidsl
05-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Weren't you in the Supra this weekend?

agarabaghi
05-31-2011, 10:29 AM
phew you got lucky!

JimN
05-31-2011, 10:55 AM
OK...
So long story (its in the 1000 leagues under the sea post find it HERE (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=41200) ) but my boat was run for about 2-3 minutes max while overheating and went into limp mode twice (shut her down very soon afterwards). I dont believe i ever saw the temp gauge get to 240 (but with no water in the engine i'm not sure that means much). It really was an emergency situation so I'm not sure i could have done anything differently (btw where the hell is the shutoff for the raw water pickup? i couldnt find it)

Ran fine after the first limp, but i'm pretty worried i may have done some serious damage to the boat because of the overheating (its a 05 MCX, so ive got the cast iron working in my favor).

I never smelled burnt rubber from the exhaust hoses, and I don't remember alot of smoke. Risers didnt get hot enough to melt my starboard pastic dividers that touch them. I'm getting new impeller screws and gasket today from my unnamed repair place, so i wanted to run her in the driveway for awhile to make sure there's no serious damage and she'll be ok for this weekend.

What should i be looking for? I'll obviously watch my temp very very closely when running in the driveway, make sure there's no milk in the trans or engine oil, tighten that stupid L bracket (or see if its missing - unnamed repair place said they didnt touch anything relating to the cooling system, so we'll see if that checks out), check the exhaust hoses for thinness/crispyness, check the impeller, check the trans cooler screen for bits of impeller, and general water-tightness. Anything else i should inspect?

If you have plastic exhaust flanges, lift the flappers and feel around for blisters. Sniff the dipstick and transmission oil- does it smell burnt, or normal? If it smells like anything other than fresh oil, change it. Cooked oil breaks down and doesn't lubricate as well as it needs to. Is the paint on the exhaust manifolds peeling on the bottom? (there's no water passages right where they mate with the head)

There's no shut off on the raw water pickup- why do you think it should have one?

Did you check the oil cooler? Do it again and shine a flashlight through it, especially if you have ever beached the boat.

If you find sand or silt in the oil cooler, remove the plugs in the block and make sure water rushes out. If it trickles out and you know it has water in it, you'll need to flush it to clear it out. Remove the plugs even if you never beached it.