PDA

View Full Version : Drying boat out after use on lift in covered slip?

jdhart73
05-27-2011, 01:50 AM
Keeping my boat on a lift in a covered slip this summer for the first time and wanted to know what steps those of you that keep your boats at the lake on lifts take to keep the interior mildew/mold free these days? Buckets of damprid or the like? De-humidifiers?
Just looking for the easiest solution, I plan on keeping the cover on but realize that some days I will be putting it up damper than others.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

P.S. I am in Kansas if that helps....hot as hell in the summer and decent humidity but not horrible.

76S&S
05-27-2011, 08:42 AM
I've used a cheap box fan for several years now and have never had a mildew/mold issue. I've put the boat away soaking wet as well. If it's pretty wet I will open up the seats and put the fan on either low or med, drop the cover on and that's it.

I had tried most everything else, except for a de-humidifier, but the simple fan works great.

jdhart73
05-27-2011, 11:03 AM
So you leave a fan running under the cover while your boat sits? My boat could sit for a week or more at times so I don't think I'd be comfortable running a fan that long unattended.

agarabaghi
05-27-2011, 11:07 AM
what;s a dry boat? lol

TxsRiverRat
05-27-2011, 11:08 AM
The cover will keep it wetter inside since there wonít be any air circulating under it. My buddy had a boat at a private ski lake community and his boat was always wet every time we went out to the lake. And not using a cover will ensure your boat stays filthy... So youíre damned if you do and damned if you donít. Use a block of wood to prop your engine hatch up and be ready for a wet floored boat every time you ski.

CantRepeat
05-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Make sure you open the motor box/engine hatch and also let that dry out.

ahhudgins
05-27-2011, 11:14 AM
I have my original 95 MC canvas cover that I put on my boat when I take it out of the water on Sunday night. My boat sits under a metal garage in the shade all week and I never have a problem with any mold or mildew because the cover allows the air to circulate.

When my boat is in the water on the weekend I use a 100% water proof cover in case it rains, but it also traps moisture under the cover at night. I'm going to get several of the cover vents to allow the moisture to evaporate at night.

kkkeating
05-27-2011, 11:18 AM
We keep our cover on but it's in Sacramento with little humidity so there's no problem. If I did live in a high humity area I'd most likely use a manhole blower(basically a fan with a 6 to 10 feet long flexible ducting) on a springwound timer or standard timer. The advantages with the manhole blower is the fan would be outside the boat with the flexible ducting providing air into the boat. I would worry that with a fan inside the boat it could tip over and overheat.

ShamrockIV
05-27-2011, 11:22 AM
i covered mine up when it was on boat lift for two years.

i covered it up after use. mine did not mildew or smell and it was was dried out each weekend when i returned.

i would not risk a fan under there. fumes from the fuel would be my worry

vision
05-27-2011, 02:25 PM
i covered mine up when it was on boat lift for two years.

i covered it up after use. mine did not mildew or smell and it was was dried out each weekend when i returned.

i would not risk a fan under there. fumes from the fuel would be my worry

Same experience here. My boat sits in a covered lift. We keep it covered when we are gone and uncovered when we are at the lake. No mildew or mold even in our high humidity climate. But, we do make sure the seats are cracked open so moisture can not remain trapped around the seats, and we dry the vinyl before we cover.

HMF007
05-27-2011, 05:22 PM
I use the dehumidifier. They are cheap and will completely dry out your boat. They use very little energy and are rated for marine use so they won't catch anything on fire. You can't even hear them running. Buy one.

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/16922-air-dryer-dehumidifier.html

HMF007
05-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Also, I crack all the seats so the warm air drys the compartments as well.

jdhart73
05-27-2011, 11:08 PM
So HMF, you use this under your cover while on the slip during the summer time?
Do you leave it running between uses?

frosty
05-27-2011, 11:31 PM
I use the dehumidifier. They are cheap and will completely dry out your boat. They use very little energy and are rated for marine use so they won't catch anything on fire. You can't even hear them running. Buy one.

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/16922-air-dryer-dehumidifier.html

Does this have a reservoir to collect the moisture it collects from the air?
Or does it simply heat the air, allowing the air to hold more moisture?
The info on the website is pretty skimpy.
I use 'goldenrods', heated tubes (usually used in gun safes) that raise the ambient temperature.
I'm wondering if this dehumidifier is the same thing, with the addition of a fan?

davidstan
05-28-2011, 08:10 AM
i use a de humidifier in my basement at the lake and run it 2 hours on and 2 hours off. it has a water reservoir holder and also a outlet to screw on a hose and allow water to drain to a sink or bathtub drain. It is nite and day the difference when we return each friday, no basementy smell at all. I store my boat on a lift so i may look into a small one as i have had mildew issues with my old boat.

Jeff d
05-28-2011, 04:00 PM
Does this have a reservoir to collect the moisture it collects from the air?
Or does it simply heat the air, allowing the air to hold more moisture?
The info on the website is pretty skimpy.
I use 'goldenrods', heated tubes (usually used in gun safes) that raise the ambient temperature.
I'm wondering if this dehumidifier is the same thing, with the addition of a fan?

It's just a heater like the goldenrod plus a small fan to circulate the air. So, it doesn't actually remove any moisture but just tries to keep the temperature slightly elevated so the humidity doesn't condense. My neighbor uses one and swears by it.

A real dehumidifier that extracts moisture seems like a better idea but I'm wondering how well it would work given the amount of air leaks you'd have between the cover and hull in addition to the fact that most covers offer some breathability. I'd imagine that your dehumidified air would constantly be mixing with humid air from the outside and never having much of an effect on the humidity level.