PDA

View Full Version : LTR Tensioner Pulley??

kdr
05-26-2011, 11:29 PM
How does this stupid thing work? I took the old belt off by removing the pulley. When I went to put the new belt on, I tried to find an adjustment to loosen the tensioner but there was none. I don't see how I am supposed to loosen this thing to get the new belt on. Any suggestions??

mdskier
05-27-2011, 12:40 AM
On mine, the tensioner has a bolt in the middle. A socket on that bolt and counterclockwise removes tension, clockwise puts the tension back on.

kdr
05-27-2011, 08:01 AM
Are you talking about the bolt in the middle of the assembly or the bolt in actual pulley. The pulley bolt unscrewed and when the pulley is installed, the bolt in the center of the assembly is inaccessible.

mdskier
05-27-2011, 11:53 AM
The bolt in the center of the pulley. Been a while, but it surprised me when I realized how it worked. I was having a squeaking problem and the belt kept getting damaged. I found the pulley assembly itself was damaged. I replaced it and found that the center bolt was a lever that when turned one way added tension and turned the other released the tension. It did not actually take the pulley off.

ShamrockIV
05-27-2011, 12:13 PM
I replaced my tensioner first weekend out in the new to me boat. Imagine my surprise that autozone had one in stock!!

kdr
05-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Well, I think I'll just replace it and be done with it.

If anyone is interested. The tensioner for the LTR is the same as one from a 97 V8 camaro. Advance Auto Part # 89232, Autozone Part #305232. $35.99 at both places.