PDA

View Full Version : Advise requested on possible purchase: 1988 Prostar

cbferris
05-26-2011, 05:07 PM
First and foremost, I stumbled upon this forum last week upon researching the ’87-’90 Prostar 190s and the discussions are incredible. I know I will be using this invaluable tool for years to come. So in advance, many thanks to all.

I’m thinking of purchasing a 1988 Prostar 190 (w/ a 351W; approx. 1000 hrs.; electronic ignition; holly carburetor; new carpeting). I have yet to personally inspect the boat as it is more that 3 hrs away. The current owner is the 3rd owner & claims it’s been sitting for 1+ yrs due to lack of free time. Information obtained thus far includes…

MECHANICAL:
1) “runs great, pulls good”
2) good compression as indicated by a compression test performed by the owner’s friend/mechanic (no values were given, but I will ask during our next conversation)
3) a slight fuel leak exists near the carb (owner explained a tube from one of the barrels was leaking???)

COSMETIC:
1) Chips/scratches on the bow from apparently beaching the boat & chips/scratches on the corners of the stern.
2) the interior is in poor shape and will need to be reupholstered/replaced
3) apparently no soft spots are present, except behind the motor cover which the owner reinforced with a wooden support (I’m still waiting for a little more clarification on this issue)
4) no rear bench seat

I expect to have more pictures by this weekend of the hull, tracking fins, rudder, prop, bow/stern, as well as have a more thorough discussion with the owner before I make the trek to inspect it. Any thoughts/concerns/suggestions would be much appreciated. With your very limited first impression, what would you consider to be a fair price? Thanks again.

tph
05-26-2011, 05:12 PM
I purchased one in similar condition a few years back for $3,000. I would offer $2,500 if everything checks out.

02ProstarSammyD
05-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Id have it run over by a 3rd party. If you are already replacing the interior you are out 1500+ imho. At 2500 that puts you at 4k invested. If you throw an engine on top of that you have much better options out there. Just my 2 cents. As for owners telling you its "just a hose" I'd keep in the back of my mind it could be a larger issue.

BrianM
05-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Looks pretty rough. Just the interior is going to cost you in the neighborhood of $2,500. The pictures are small but sounds like the exterior needs some help as well. Sounds like it is probably ready for a carb rebuild at a minimum. I agree with tph. Probably a $2500 You could find one in great shape with good hours for $8k or a bit less.

oxberger
05-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Welcome to the party here at Team Talk! You've already discovered the vast wealth of knowledge that's available here. What condition is the trailer in too? If you have to make a 3 hour drive that should be a concern and a price issue as well. I'd say $2,500. Where is the boat located and where in the south are you? I'm in Murfreesboro, TN. Maybe someone on here is close to it and might be able to help out and go look at it for you.

UrbantuxTN
05-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Quick search finds that boat in Clarksville and they are asking $4,500.

There is 190 in Cleveland, TN for $9k with 665 hours (see link) (http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/boa/2372112535.html). It is really going to depend on how much work you want to put into it I guess.

saberworks
05-26-2011, 06:31 PM
I sold my 89 with 850 hrs for $6k and was perfect mechanically and probably needed new upholstery (but wasn't anywhere near that bad). I priced out upholstery and I could get skins for 1500 or so and then I'd have to install them. That didn't include labor or carpet.

06x2
05-27-2011, 03:14 AM
I sold my 86 190 for $7000 with only 600 hrs in way better shape that that new engine and some new apolstry so there are deals out there. As per the carb it sounds like it's in need of an overhaul or replacement. In my opinion if it looks that bad on the outside what lurks beneath . Keep looking you find a better deal

stuartmcnair
05-27-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm going to sell mine. Helluva lot better condition than that one. Doesn't need any work and has been absolutely babied.

cbferris
05-27-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm amazed by the prompt feedback. Thanks to all. I received some additional pictures overnight. They reveal some pretty bad hull damage & it appears the trailer bunks are not carpeted (which is even more of an indication that the boat has been abused in its lifetime). Why people beach comp boats is way beyond me. Do you think the fiberglass repairs would be above my ability...I'm always willing to tackle a challenge for the right deal & I'm mechanically-inclined to a certain extent. Given the boat's already poor condition, I would not be too concerned of the cosmetic appearance of the repairs. Thanks again and I hope everyone enjoys Memorial Day Wknd.

ShamrockIV
05-27-2011, 12:36 PM
no carpet on the bunks??????

wow it looks rough in the pix.

man i am in mid tn too and if u need another set of eyes on a boat let me know!

I am on my 5th and 6th MC right now lol

etduc
05-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Cheaper and better ways, to get into inboards. Also, better boats for a project.

oxberger
05-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Wow, after seeing those pics my price goes down to 1500. Definately been abused. Where is this boat at?

BrianM
05-27-2011, 04:05 PM
That keel looks like a whole lot more than beaching unless they beached it on boulders. Looks more like it was beached on a boat ramp to me. I'd stay away unless you can get it CHEAP and are willing to put in a lot of work. That gel repair is going to take some experience and it looks like it needs some glass work in combination with the gel. $1500 maybe but I'd try to find something clean.

I sold an '88 in 2005 that was in perfect condition with around 500 hours on it. Same exact color scheme as that boat for $8k.

cbferris
05-27-2011, 04:26 PM
The boat's listed in Clarksville, TN. Thanks to all for your input. I'll make the owner an offer, but plan to continue my search.

Jim@BAWS
05-27-2011, 10:03 PM
That keel looks like a whole lot more than beaching unless they beached it on boulders. Looks more like it was beached on a boat ramp to me. I'd stay away unless you can get it CHEAP and are willing to put in a lot of work. That gel repair is going to take some experience and it looks like it needs some glass work in combination with the gel. $1500 maybe but I'd try to find something clean.

I sold an '88 in 2005 that was in perfect condition with around 500 hours on it. Same exact color scheme as that boat for $8k.

Ill vouch for that one...VERY VERY CLEAN

Jim@BAWS

Kyle
05-28-2011, 12:59 AM
The pics show the I don't give a chit attitude was taken with this boat. Was the oil ever changed and how frequently. What about tranny fluid.

I see many many many things you you could possibly replace in the near future with this old boat.

If you go into the deal as it's going to be a project toy then tackle it. If you are wanting a turn key toy that you don't want to fool with then pass.

Upholstery $2000+

Carpet. Diy $500+-

Steering cable
Gel work
Trailer repairs
The list goes on.

Why not get something you have got to fix constantly.

03geetee
05-28-2011, 01:15 AM
I think there are better deals to be had, I mean if you think about it 4-5K can buy you a great boat with a few things needed that make it fun to own because you can make it your own. This boat is 1200-1300 at best there is ALOT of work there.

My advise is the right boat usually finds you, dont try to find the right boat if its not there.

JTR

SunCoast 83
05-28-2011, 01:39 AM
Agreed....That thing is a mess. I would move on to a boat that is not such a major project and leave that one to a buyer that has no expectation to be on the water this season.

I hope that neglected boat finds a new home where someone will care for it the way it should.

03geetee
05-28-2011, 08:34 AM
PS

Dont get discouraged because of this, there are a TON of boats out there and ready to be bought. Keep looking, this site is a great help for locating boats also try these...

www.onlyinboards.com
www.ski-it-again.com

JTR

Skir68
05-28-2011, 12:17 PM
4000-4500 is a BUY in my book! Put it in the h20 and make sure it runs
Some elbow grease and seat covers ($2000) and you'll have one of the best tournament ski boats ever made! BUY IT!

BROUSSARD
05-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Some elbow grease and seat covers ($2000) and you'll have one of the best tournament ski boats ever made! BUY IT!

It seems you are on your own on this one.

LaRue
05-28-2011, 02:06 PM
walk away!! unless you are a committed restorer and you want to save the dying As someone said on TT before, if you want a boat very badly, that is just how you will get it. Better buys are out there.

ski/hunt
05-28-2011, 02:39 PM

You must be the seller or good friends with him!! With the obvious work it needs and who knows how much it needs unseen that thing is a far cry from 4000$. Especially if others have sold or bought same year for 6 to 8 and been turn key. Unless your into giving money away and enjoy spending way to much time and effort on fun; I'd run!! Not walk but run from this one!! I have the "name" for the boat for the poor soul who gets it "MONEY PIT"

ski/hunt
05-28-2011, 02:43 PM

I want some of what you and the seller are SMOKING!!

kskonn
05-28-2011, 11:59 PM

Are you the seller?