PDA

View Full Version : Leaving the boat in a marina for the summer

Tuna Cowboy
05-26-2011, 03:38 PM
Hey guys...thinking about renting a marina dock and leaving my boat in the water for the summer...well most of it anyway...it would just be so handy during the week to rip out to the lake and jump in and go for a drive...it's only 5 minutes away....as opposed to hauling it in and out every night...I would take it out if going away, or to haul to another lake.....anything to look into before I rent this?....make sure bilge is working good for sure...anything else???...the water is super clean......just don't want to have any regrets down the road....

Thrall
05-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Possibility of blistering the gelcoat and making sure it's storm proof are the only downsides I

UrbantuxTN
05-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Most people are going to tell you to get a lift if you are going to keep it in the water. I have had mine in the lake now for almost two months (waiting on Lift to get installed next week). It hasn't hurt the boat at all but the growth is pretty bad. Going to get the boat detailed when the lift gets put in. The biggest fear would be "blistering" from water getting behind the gelcoat. From what I have been told by some fiberglass experts, it isn't a big risk for newer boats but an older boat left in without bottom paint it could be a problem.

For me the cost of a lift is worth the protection of my investment.

flipper
05-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Wax the living he!! out of the bottom. I'd ask around about problems with theft, and make sure there is some sort of security around

TxsRiverRat
05-26-2011, 03:55 PM
I can tell you from 1st hand experience, that I had an 81 sea ray before I got the MC. I did not know the ills of keeping it in a slip w/o a lift till it was too late. a year later, the boat topped off at 29 mph, and I could barely get up behind it. I pulled the boat out and bought a chemical that would clean it all off. A few drops of that chemical fell on the driveway and ate a hole in it. I said, there is no way I can do this for the entire surface not to mention alone. I paid [cheap] to get it removed at $170 bucks, but that’s because I shopped it all over town. After I got the boat back, she topped out at 41 again and had A LOT more hole shot.

Longest I’d leave my boat in the water is 24 hours.

ShamrockIV
05-26-2011, 03:56 PM
theft will be your biggest problem. blistering would not worry me. but if a few boards or ur stereo come up missing then u are out some jack!!

kskonn
05-26-2011, 03:59 PM
theft will be your biggest problem. blistering would not worry me. but if a few boards or ur stereo come up missing then u are out some jack!!

I agree with this ^^^

Tuna Cowboy
05-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Ya thanks guys.....can't install a lift in the marina.......on the fence now...dont want the boat falling apart...it is in mint condition and plan on keeping that way.....what to do?..........

UrbantuxTN
05-26-2011, 04:13 PM
I think it will be fine, Pull it every now and then and wash it down real good and let it breath. I couldn't imagine having to trailer my boat all the time after having had it on the water this year. You can also look into some bottom paint / coating. I have heard of some clear coatings out there that will help to prevent growth.

TxsRiverRat
05-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Ya thanks guys.....can't install a lift in the marina.......on the fence now...dont want the boat falling apart...it is in mint condition and plan on keeping that way.....what to do?..........

Honestly, the most intelligent thing to do is to get a dry storage within 5 miles of the lake and that will keep u from having to tow for such long distances. I literally live 45 miles from the lake and I tow the boat 2 miles round trip.

Note: Towing the boat 90 miles round trip would cost me $80/month if i went to the lake 4x a month. I pay less than that for the stall.

MC

scott023
05-26-2011, 04:34 PM

We kept our boat in the marina last year, and will again this season. No problems with the gel coat after last year. Prior to putting it in last year, we did a major wax and then pulled it out and cleaned it three or four times during the summer. End of the season took it for a detail, and it looks like brand new.

The convienence of not trailering the boat is fantastic. Just be sure to remove your valuables, especially your boards, skis and jackets.

lanep82
05-26-2011, 04:43 PM
I keep mine in a marina and love it, so far. I have a hydrohoist lift in my slip so it stays out of the water. I wouldn't have it any other way!

The marina also has 24 hour security and one gated entrance to get in that has a keypad code.

Trig2275
05-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Does the marina have dry stack storage?

Tuna Cowboy
05-26-2011, 06:06 PM
No it doesn't....its just a floating marina..

CantRepeat
05-26-2011, 06:14 PM
I hate to say it, but if the lake is only 5 minutes away then I would not do it. Heck, piece of mind and I only have to tow it 5 minutes?

If it was 45 minutes away then I would look for some closer storage to the lake.

pmkkdx
05-26-2011, 06:16 PM
I hate to say it, but if the lake is only 5 minutes away then I would not do it. Heck, piece of mind and I only have to tow it 5 minutes?

If it was 45 minutes away then I would look for some closer storage to the lake.

^~ 2x ... ditto

TxsRiverRat
05-26-2011, 06:19 PM
If you’re in a Marina, anyone/everyone can get to your boat. Your storage is limted, so you’d be forced to haul gear to the lake every time. Plus, at the end of your ski day, you’d be putting a cover on the boat. All the while you *think* you’re saving time... if you have a dry storage, your boat stays cleaner, easier to work on, is more secure, you have more storage, you can leave most of your gear in the boat or in stall, and you don’t have to cover it – u just have to tow it to the ramp and launch it. At the end of the day it seems like a wash time wise, and boils down to personal preference.

gts-20
05-26-2011, 06:25 PM
We keep our boat in a dry storage facility at the lake. They valet launch it for us as part of the monthly cost and provide 24hr access and security. The valet service is available from 8-8, and a private ramp is available for us to self launch 24/7.

TxsRiverRat
05-26-2011, 06:35 PM
We keep our boat in a dry storage facility at the lake. They valet launch it for us as part of the monthly cost and provide 24hr access and security. The valet service is available from 8-8, and a private ramp is available for us to self launch 24/7.

Dammmmmn, Trump!

gts-20
05-26-2011, 06:41 PM
Dammmmmn, Trump!

its only $120.00 a month.....

TxsRiverRat
05-26-2011, 06:47 PM
its only $120.00 a month.....

That's not a bad price.

Dry storages here cost roughly $160/mo here... We get a great deal at our place and pay less than ½ of that, but $120 for what you're getting is a great deal.

Jerseydave
05-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Are you going to carry gas cans to refill your boat? Some marinas do not allow this.

Gas on the water is pricey....and you're only 5 mins away.

If I had an old Malibu or CC then leave it in the water. A Mastercraft.....NO! (not without a lift....that would be like not using protection) :)

Tuna Cowboy
05-26-2011, 08:58 PM
All good points guys......and my decision to NOT leave the boat in........the last post got me....it's a Mastercraft..it doesn't deserve that!!.....I am just going to have to convince a buddy of mine to build another lift at his cottage!!......it does sound a little easier...but ya, hauling everything off the boa is no fun.....and I just installed 2 amps, 2 subs, tower speakers, and new boat speakers....along with deck...I'd just be worrying about things like that......thanks again.....
The moral of this storey is just suck it up and haul it!!

dpolen
05-26-2011, 09:52 PM
I'll give a different opinion than most...get the slip, you'll use the boat twice as much because you don't have to mess around with the stinkin' trailer. I have little kids, have left my boat sitting in a slip for the past 4 years and have determined it to be the best thing for my family. Does the boat get dirty as heck...um yeah. Does it get cleaned regularly...most of the time while I'm drinking a beer when the boat is beached on one of the islands on our lake. It's a boat, use it and drive it like you stole it!

Doug

CantRepeat
05-26-2011, 10:04 PM
It's a boat, use it and drive it like you stole it!

Doug

Glad I'm not shopping for a boat near you, lol.

I wouldn't use my boat anymore if it was in a slip or not.

Likewise, if I owned a CC or Bu I'd still not leave it in a slip if I lived 5 minutes from the lake.

Hoosier Bob
05-26-2011, 10:23 PM
They will not allow a bottom or a float lift or they do not rent the lifts? If they do not rent the lifts call another marina on a different lake and ask them how much to setup and rent.Ya thanks guys.....can't install a lift in the marina.......on the fence now...dont want the boat falling apart...it is in mint condition and plan on keeping that way.....what to do?..........

ski/hunt
05-26-2011, 10:33 PM
All your new stereo gear is "candy" to punk theives who see boats as easy targets. Oh security staff ha--- they have friends

CottagerGreg
05-26-2011, 11:31 PM
If I had an old Malibu or CC then leave it in the water. A Mastercraft.....NO! (not without a lift....that would be like not using protection) :)

We've always had our boat in the water.... no issues at all....

We put on 100+ hours a year and use it much more than if I had to trailer it... sits at the dock from april to october.

Kyle
05-27-2011, 12:35 AM
Stereo will disappear... $9 per hour security guards at a marina will notify thieves and get under table cuts to make more $$$.

Some a holes blow no wake and it will get scratched due to rollers smacking your boat around.

Spiders will take over and build webs and eat your upholstery.

Taking the time to remove gear and truck it all around seems like a headache and take more time than hauling it.

I want to get into a sparkling clean boat and go have fun. Not go clean a boat while guests are playing sit on thumbs while I get ready.

I would never have my boat in a slip even if the slip was free. The only way I would do it is if Mastercraft said we are testing how our boats hold up to months of sitting in the water. We will give you a boat and a free slip and every year we will remove the growth off of the bottom, and throw in a fuel card for free unlimited gas and free service maintenance and repairs for life. Sign here and here is your new 85k free toy.

Sounds like you made the right decision

73blue
05-27-2011, 07:41 AM
Marinas gettin killed ITT. I gotta say, I kinda agree with dpolen on this. I kept my boat in a locked building at the top of the boat ramp til a couple years ago. All I had to do was hook it up and back it in. Now it sits on a lift through the summer. Maybe I'm lazy, but after working 10-12 hours on the water, it was hard to get motivated to put in and pull right back out if I wanted a quick evening ride. Of course everything stays on my boat, never had an issue. Most boats on my dock leave their keys in the ignition. Never had an issue. (maybe its the cameras). The only real issue is spiders, and putting the cover on (2 min) solves that. I realize all marinas aren't this way. My advice, do whatever allows and motivates you for the max time and enjoyment on the water. If putting it in a slip will inspire you to use it even once more a week, do it. If worrying about your boat will consume you, keep it locked up.

psychobilly
05-27-2011, 08:35 AM
Honestly, the most intelligent thing to do is to get a dry storage within 5 miles of the lake and that will keep u from having to tow for such long distances. I literally live 45 miles from the lake and I tow the boat 2 miles round trip.

Note: Towing the boat 90 miles round trip would cost me $80/month if i went to the lake 4x a month. I pay less than that for the stall.

MC

That's what I do. I have a 60' deep storage building and I keep my skiff backed in on one end and the 240SC backed into the other. I have enough room to walk down the sides and about 10' or less in between the two boats. 160 a month and less than a mile from teh boat ramp. I have two boat ramps actually at my disposal. One is gated and the other is in my ole buddies cow pasture. The one in the pasture I only launch my skiff from and leave the trailer in the water. It's sweet!!!!

wrobins1
05-27-2011, 11:37 AM
I have to say one thing that I surprised that no one mentioned "a rolling stone gathers no moss." If you able and want to make evening trips like quick couple pulls after work the worry of theft and bottom problems shrink because you are spending that much more time on the boat and the boat is moving almost daily. Having no trailer to move the boat for a couple months at the end of last season I was forced to get a slip. After this I was told by my wife that we had to have the slip this year. We sometimes grab sandwiches, beer and head to the lake immediately after work. Carrying the stuff to boat is no fun but my marina has carts that make it easier and the stuff is usually left in the truck so it is a couple minutes and we are heading up the lake. Plus, check out your marina’s calendar some fun events are often open for most slip owners. I have a steak dinner this Sun that they titled MARINA APPRECIATION DINNER!!! YUM!

TxsRiverRat
05-27-2011, 11:45 AM
I remember that having a slip on my old 81 sea ray was nice and convenient. I thought I might mention that I do have the “luxury” of never having to deal with PUBLIC boat ramps. I hate hate hate hate public boat ramps. I can launch and load my boat alone faster 95% of the time faster than 2 people at the idiot parade. To me hooking up and hauling 1.5 miles to the lake doesn’t take me any longer than if I had a slip.

CantRepeat
05-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Leave the X30 hook to the Suburban all summer long. I live in Alabama and its a law that you must own at least 5 cars or trucks but only 3 need to be running at anyone time.