PDA

View Full Version : Quick Questions on Decal Replacement, Hull Compounding and Polishing

DavidMCX30
05-26-2011, 10:08 AM
I have just removed my decals from my 2002 X-30. Looks a thousand percent better already! I am about to begin the compounding and polishing process (which I gleaned from BrianM’s threads). A few questions:

1) I will compound and polish the boat on my trailer. Clearly I won’t be able to do the areas where the boat sits on the trailer bunks. Putting it on the lift on the lake will give me full access to the bow, but not many of the other areas I can’t hit on the trailer. Do you just live with the areas you can’t get to?

2) I want to clean and shine my rub rail. I have seen on a post here to use lacquer thinner to clean and then Armor-All to shine and protect. I have also heard you can use Back to Black. Any thoughts?

3) I am looking for the 64” Chromex (chrome drip molding) MasterCraft letters for my hull. Waterskis.com only has the 42”. Any suggestions on who might have the 64”?

Thanks!

Jeff d
05-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Usually the bottom doesn't really need compounding. If it's a light color an acid wash is probably all you'd need.

You can remove the trailer fenders to get better access to the areas of the hull behind them.

DavidMCX30
05-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Usually the bottom doesn't really need compounding. If it's a light color an acid wash is probably all you'd need.

You can remove the trailer fenders to get better access to the areas of the hull behind them.

Jeff -- thanks for the reply. I’m new to all of this. I did the acid wash at the end of last season – my first season owning the boat -- so at least I got that step right! I have silver flake up top and white on the bottom (picture below). I have light-to-medium oxidization and some minor scratches, plus ghosting from where I removed decals.

I plan to use the following approach:
1. 3M boat wash
2. 3M rubbing compound – orbital polisher (orange pad)
3. 3M Finesse-It II – orbital polisher (orange pad)
4. 3M paste wax – orbital polisher (red pad)

My assumption was that I would likely need to do all four steps to all areas of the boat I could access, including the gunnels. However, I plan to test first with the Finesse-It II to see if that’s all I need before using the more abrasive compound. Should I need the compound, would I use it only on the silver flake? What about on the gunnels, or above the silver flake (I have some scratches there from skis, etc. being pulled in an out)?

Am I correct in assuming that I would use steps 3 and 4 for all areas of the boat, including the bottom portion of the hull?

Thanks for any advice.

ps205
05-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Hi - Nice boat... Always start with the least abrasive and work your way into more abrasive. I think you will find even mild abrasive will do wonders on gelcoat if you spend the time to work on it.

BTW... Is that Lake Wawasee?

Have a good one.

Jeff d
05-27-2011, 09:17 AM
My boat is an '00 and the hull sides were white. It had good gloss and seemed fine. I removed the decals that had been on there for 11 years and realized that the hull used to be off white. It was a pretty stark difference.

Here's what I had to do to get rid of 95% of the decal shadow:
-Wet sand with 600 grit, 800, 1000 then 1500 all with a sanding block and just in the affected area +6" or so.
-Compound the whole hull side but focusing on the decal area with an rotary buffer, 3M SuperBuff pad and 3M Imperial Compound and Finishing Material (This is one product)
-Polish with same buffer, pad and 3M Finesse It

Before it was painfully obvious where the MariStar decals were, now you can find it if you know where to look but it's pretty faint. I don't think it can get any better than it is now.

I worked into that procedure backwards to figure out how aggressive I needed to be and there was no way straight up compound would have gotten the job done. Started with just the compound, then wend back and did 1,000 grit and compound and so on and so forth until I figured out that 600 grit was necessary. It probably took about 3 hours per side.

ShamrockIV
05-27-2011, 09:32 AM
U Will Like It With The Mastercraft Down The Side. The Owner Of Mine Ordered His That Way. I Love It!!

DavidMCX30
05-28-2011, 07:58 AM
Hi - Nice boat... Always start with the least abrasive and work your way into more abrasive. I think you will find even mild abrasive will do wonders on gelcoat if you spend the time to work on it.

BTW... Is that Lake Wawasee?

Have a good one.

Yes, that's the plan. And, yes, that's Wawasee. We rent there for two weeks every year. My parent used to take our family there when I was young. Lots of great memories on that lake, and now making new ones with my family. Do you boat there?

DavidMCX30
05-28-2011, 07:59 AM
My boat is an '00 and the hull sides were white. It had good gloss and seemed fine. I removed the decals that had been on there for 11 years and realized that the hull used to be off white. It was a pretty stark difference.

Here's what I had to do to get rid of 95% of the decal shadow:
-Wet sand with 600 grit, 800, 1000 then 1500 all with a sanding block and just in the affected area +6" or so.
-Compound the whole hull side but focusing on the decal area with an rotary buffer, 3M SuperBuff pad and 3M Imperial Compound and Finishing Material (This is one product)
-Polish with same buffer, pad and 3M Finesse It

Before it was painfully obvious where the MariStar decals were, now you can find it if you know where to look but it's pretty faint. I don't think it can get any better than it is now.

I worked into that procedure backwards to figure out how aggressive I needed to be and there was no way straight up compound would have gotten the job done. Started with just the compound, then wend back and did 1,000 grit and compound and so on and so forth until I figured out that 600 grit was necessary. It probably took about 3 hours per side.

Hoping to avoid wet sanding but may have to. Did you wet sand over the decal ghosting by hand?

DavidMCX30
05-28-2011, 08:01 AM
U Will Like It With The Mastercraft Down The Side. The Owner Of Mine Ordered His That Way. I Love It!!

Your boat -- and a few others on this site -- are what made me want to go with this look. Love it. Just need to find the 64 inch decals....

psychobilly
05-28-2011, 08:50 AM
Don't know about the orbital polisher but I used what the guys on here that have done this used, a Dewalt Variable grinder. The 3M rubbing compound it was suggested on here to used the wool pad on the lowest RPM. Then swap to the pads (green or orange I can't member) for the finessit II. Then as you said the normal wax...I then took it to the local boat detailers on the lake and they did the same thing to the bottom.

Now I know it in't recommended to put you boat on a lift like this but it was only for about 2 hours....

Read this entire thread and make your own opinion... Look at post #40 on page 4, that's my boat and the bottom of teh first pic is the Dewalt vaiable speed grinder/polisher. I got mine off ebay with all the pads fer about 225 bux. 100 bux at the detailers to do the bottom....

Also my boat has been through 2 owners and I'm the third so there were spots where the old rego numbers were. You can't hardley see them anymore and I plan on getting the 3M out again this summer and finishing that off.

hope this helps

ps205
05-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Well, we used to go to Wawasee.... My grandparents had a place up there on Morrison Island all the way until about 1995 and I would spend my teenage summers up there. In fact that is how I got the Inboard bug. They had a CC Martainique that my bothers and I would just beat the living S**t out of and it would start and run everyday. They sold that place just before they passed away and my parents did not want to take the house over since we lived in Indy. Anyway my family started going back up there when they opended the Oakwood Inn. but we have not been since they shut that down. I keep checking the internet to see if anyone had bought that place and reopened it. My uncle also had a place up there and my cousin still rents every summer.... Some of my greatest memories are from that lake.