PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy rebuilt Holley 4160 Carb

woobiedmd
05-25-2011, 04:20 PM
I have an '88 Prostar 190. The concensus is I need a new carb. I'm afraid to rebuild it myself and would like to try to salvage the weekend. Where to order a rebuilt 4160 ASAP?

TxsRiverRat
05-25-2011, 04:25 PM
http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/

woobiedmd
05-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks! I just got off the phone with them. They test all their marine carbs on an actual engine before sending out the door. Of course, marine carbs are in hot demand. The earliest I could get one would be shipped Tuesday to me for next weekend.:( I guess this holiday weekend is out!

TxsRiverRat
05-25-2011, 04:41 PM
they saent me a bad one, its still in their shop being looked at, but i have my POS holley fishbowl on there now as a backup

JimN
05-25-2011, 05:09 PM
I have an '88 Prostar 190. The concensus is I need a new carb. I'm afraid to rebuild it myself and would like to try to salvage the weekend. Where to order a rebuilt 4160 ASAP?

Call a speed shop.

Dino Don
05-26-2011, 07:41 AM

Amazon has them I think?? Check them out!

dade61782
05-26-2011, 08:45 PM
I bought one from national recently bolted it on didn't need any tuning just adjusted the idle and its been good.

woobiedmd
05-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the info. That's what I want to hear- bolt on and go.

rjracin240
05-26-2011, 10:18 PM
they saent me a bad one, its still in their shop being looked at, but i have my POS holley fishbowl on there now as a backup

National Carburettors are local to me, so when I needed one I went out to them. Watched them run it on their stand, got it home all excited thinking my problems were over. Couple of months later after trying to tune it for my boat, wound up taking it back to them after trying to work with them to get it right. Received a cash refund used that and some more dollars and got a new one at Advanced/online auto cheaper than any other place I could find (by about$50). Bolted that right on and absolutely no issues. Wish I would have done that in the first place. National was good, excellent customer service but the carb I got did just not work on my 88 190 Prostar.

Just my .02c

Good luck

1985 Skiier
05-27-2011, 08:23 AM
Buy a rebuild kit and tear into it. They are not hard to fix. Even if you buy a rebuilt one or new I would recomend buying a kit (from SKIDIM and a new base plate) and tearing it apart to see how it works. Then you will have a spare or sell it.

hkallestad
05-29-2011, 12:16 PM
I bought one from national carb and it's working fine, I guess you can be unlucky too tho.

Next time I'll tear it apart myself just for the education;-)

woobiedmd
05-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Funny you should say that. The carb was dumping gas down the back two barrels. I took off the back bowl, blew it out, replaced the gaskets, bolted it back on the engine, presto- no gas dumping down the back 2 barrels. Now the gas started dumping into the front 2 barrels. Took it apart, blew it out, replaced the power valve and gaskets, put it back on the boat- no luck, still dumping gas down the front 2 barrels. Am I missing something? I'm awaiting a rebuilt carb but I'm worried something else may be going on. Any thoughts?

rjracin240
06-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the info. That's what I want to hear- bolt on and go.

Curious to know what kind of luck you had with your new carb?

Matt L.
06-02-2011, 12:11 AM
I just dumped a brand new Edelbrock Marine 750cfm on my 240SC and it is perfect!!! They are very reasonably priced on Amazon. You would need the 600cfm. Edelborck are easier to maintain, rebuild and are much more reliable.

Later,

Matt

woobiedmd
06-19-2011, 08:40 AM
New carb is in! Went out yesterday ALL day! Engine ran fairly well. I put new/properly gapped plugs in before I went out. I want to check them and make sure everything is OK. Weird thing, when cold/first start, was hard to start unless you manually held the butterfly valve open. Once electric choke warmed up and valve open, no start problems at all. What do you think?

thatsmrmastercraft
06-20-2011, 09:36 AM
New carb is in! Went out yesterday ALL day! Engine ran fairly well. I put new/properly gapped plugs in before I went out. I want to check them and make sure everything is OK. Weird thing, when cold/first start, was hard to start unless you manually held the butterfly valve open. Once electric choke warmed up and valve open, no start problems at all. What do you think?

The electric choke is set too rich. Loosen the screws that old the choke housing in place and rotate to adjust, then tighten the screws. Might take a time or two to get it set just right.