PDA

View Full Version : 1000 leagues under the sea... almost

willyt
05-25-2011, 10:20 AM
Ok… some background…

2005 X2 with the MCX.

Last time we were out we were only running 12 volts (bad alternator). We also had the top impeller backing plate screw vibrate out (water was spraying everywhere). Took care of the impeller screw by tightening it firmly (and I say VERY firmly) by myself. Took the boat to the unnamed repair place to have the alternator replaced.

Now, previous to this, never really had a major issue with the boat.

I’m all excited to finally have the boat ready to go for the season, and just want to do a little systems check. I pick it up from the unnamed repair place and invite one of my buddies out for a quick set last night (who, in turn, invites 2 of his buddies out..) Get to the ramp, back her down, fires right up and I let her warm up on the trailer. No issues.. running about 14 volts, oil pressures 40 psi, bilge dry and temp is holding steady at 160. All systems go…

However, first thing I notice is my tower speakers aren’t working (WS-pro60’s). Quickly discover the amp has been disconnected from the battery (I imagine during the alternator replacement). Not a big deal… reconnect her, tower speakers are working again. Second thing I notice when I open up my starboard V drive locker is that my starboard separator between the engine and locker has been incorrectly reinstalled. Again… not a big deal… fix it and move on.

Some time has passed now, buddy is taking his set. All of a sudden, boat bogs down and comes off plane and the aft bilge pump kicks on. Open up the engine bay to see that the transmission hose was not properly tightened down on the water pump and had come completely off (engine temp now says 170). I KNOW I tightened this appropriately before taking it to the unnamed repair place, and you would have had to take the trans cooler hose off to replace the alternator anyway… curious…

Sooo… let her cool down, tighten the hose back on, and continue riding. About 10 minutes later same thing happens, boat bogs and comes off plane, forward bilge pump kicks on. I assume I didn’t tighten the hose enough, open engine bay to find the trans cooler hose was firmly on the water pump.

Now I being the phase of pre-freak out. Can’t find the leak, and we’re taking in A LOT of water. I immediately dump all ballast and continue looking. I shut off the ballast ball-valve, doesn’t help. At this point water is just barely above my forward bilge pump, and when I realize the boat is taking on more water than the bilge pumps can handle I FREAK out. I figure we have to get to shore, so I start the engine up (not a good idea) and get her on plane towards shore.. get about ¾ of the way there (45 seconds or a minute) before it bogs, engine temp alarm sounds, and I shut her down. We run up on the somewhat muddy shore. Got the good idea to stick the tsunami pump in the bilge to pump out the bilge. Water level is decreasing… good.

At thing point I’m thinking our rear plug must have vibrated out. Nope… all plugs are where they’re supposed to be. Check the engine again, and see that the whole impeller backing plate was lying on the bilge floor. ***. I put the backing plate back on with 3 screws (can’t find the 4th, as its dark by now) and swim the boat back on the trailer.

I’m still shaking from the nerves… but I have a few questions. How in the h3ll does a impeller backing plate come all the way off, and is this something the unnamed repair place screwed up replacing the alternator? (I was sure those screws were tight enough when I was working on it).

Secondly, I’m planning on checking my trans/engine oil for milk to make sure the water didn’t get that high (pretty sure it didn’t). The new alternator going to be ok getting wet like that?

Praying I didn’t crack a head or warp anything… going to hook her up to a fake-a-lake if all else checks out.

Jim@BAWS
05-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Who replaced the impellar last???
Is this the first time the engine has been run since winterization?
Who did winterization? Was the cover loosened to allow water to drain out?

Jim@BAWS

agarabaghi
05-25-2011, 10:31 AM
ouch. Sorry about all of that.

Did you properly install the bracket that holds the impeller casing back on, im assuming you or the repair place had to remove the belt to replace the alternator. Usually you loosen up the bracket and slip the belt over it. Make sure that is attached (as it helps with vibrations).

willyt
05-25-2011, 10:44 AM
I did the winterization, and re-installed the impeller. When re-installing, 99% sure the screws were tight enough (as tight, or tighter than they were when taking the impeller out). Not the first time the engine was run this year. didnt mess with any brackets when i was working on it. I'm assuming that by the bracket you mean the metal L that holds the water pump?

skierdan
05-25-2011, 10:44 AM
This happened to me last week. I changed the impellar but did not realize the bracket arm that keeps the impellar from vibrating needed tightening. This caused all 4 screws to vibrate out. Boat took on a lot of water. See my thread on "how much damage did I do?"

agarabaghi
05-25-2011, 10:46 AM
I did the winterization, and re-installed the impeller. When re-installing, 99% sure the screws were tight enough (as tight, or tighter than they were when taking the impeller out). Not the first time the engine was run this year. didnt mess with any brackets when i was working on it. I'm assuming that by the bracket you mean the metal L that holds the water pump?

Did they replace your alternator? Is so im pretty sure you have to remove the L bracket. give that a look.

willyt
05-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Yea.. they replaced the alternator and i never loosened or tightened the L raw water pump bracket, so it should have been as tight as it was last season (when i didnt have any problems). i'm guessing this was probably the cause of the the screws vibration out?

agarabaghi
05-25-2011, 10:59 AM
If they didn't put the L bracket back on, it def could have caused the issue. Give a look for the L bracket. On my older 350 it was held by 2 big bolts to the block and 1 hex screw to the brass impeller holder.

Thrall
05-25-2011, 11:03 AM
I'd say your unnamed mechanic sucks!