PDA

View Full Version : Strong river!

UofU2727
05-25-2011, 10:02 AM
WOW! I have never reloaded a boat on the upper potomac before. Even better I took a rookie with me to go boating for the first time. I wasn't sure if I should of put this on the thread "BRING ON ANOTHER THOUSAND". Needless to say the current on the river was wayyyyyyyyy to strong, the current would rapidly pull the boat hard right everytime. Had to circle about 5 times around. Finally I just came in "fast" work! But definately not my style, you couldn't walk the boat up on the trailer, we tried. It broke the guide off the current was so strong, luckily it was only a pvc pipe protected with the covering. I wish the boat lauch ramp had of been wider but it isn't otherwise I would of angled the trailer with the current. but it isn't, like I said what an adventure! The river up on the upper end of the potomac usually isn't this strong but with all the rain it is, just a heads up to all those going boating this weekend. Other than that the boat ran great after a very long winter. Good luck to every one this weeked have fun and be safe.

Thrall
05-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Yeah, best bet is put the trailer in shallow and come in hot!

SunCoast 83
05-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Yeah, best bet is put the trailer in shallow and come in hot!

True True.....Its nerve racking too! :D

agarabaghi
05-25-2011, 08:34 PM
AH! I dont even come in hot on calm glassy days... i pull up til the bow touches, and hope out and crakn it the rest of the way!

03geetee
05-25-2011, 10:34 PM
I just jump mine.

Works sometimes.

JTR

Thrall
05-26-2011, 05:25 AM
AH! I dont even come in hot on calm glassy days... i pull up til the bow touches, and hope out and crakn it the rest of the way!

On calm water I come in nice and easy. When it's windy or current, you gotta nut up and stick it on the trailer!

nickespi
05-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Same thing happened to me on the river here. Really rough waters and crappy ramp equals nice scratches down the hull. The stickers took the brunt of it. They're trashed, so I'll be taking them off soon.