PDA

View Full Version : Milky Oil

X5 Owner
05-24-2011, 07:58 PM
I've got some milky oil but engine runs strong and doesn't overheat. Any suggestions?

CantRepeat
05-24-2011, 08:02 PM
Don't run the motor anymore with milky oil.

Find the water leak, change out the oil a few times within a few hours.

X5 Owner
05-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Where should I look for the water leak? I took it to a mechanic and he said there wasn't a cracked head. I'm thinking worse case is a head gasket.

JimN
05-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Where should I look for the water leak? I took it to a mechanic and he said there wasn't a cracked head. I'm thinking worse case is a head gasket.

How would he know if the heads aren't cracked, without disassembling it? That's impossible.

samgreazy
05-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Sounds like a cracked head to me.....

ski/hunt
05-24-2011, 08:47 PM
Warped head or bad gasket. I don't think off season condinsation would be enough to have the oil get milky but that would be best case.

CantRepeat
05-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Where are you located? Did you winterize?

X5 Owner
05-24-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm located I'n Houston. I actually just purchased the boat and found this out later. It's a 2000 X5 and has been sitting up for 2 years. I don't know much about marine engines but this thing runs great and has oil pressure and doesn't get hot.

CantRepeat
05-24-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm located I'n Houston. I actually just purchased the boat and found this out later. It's a 2000 X5 and has been sitting up for 2 years. I don't know much about marine engines but this thing runs great and has oil pressure and doesn't get hot.

Did it get below freezing during those 2 years?

And welcome to TT. Lots of really smart, friendly people here who love to help out.

X5 Owner
05-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Thanks. Glad to be a MC owner.

Yea more than likely but no really hard freezes. The lowest is usually around 29-30F.

Thrall
05-24-2011, 09:40 PM
First try changing the oil, run it A LITTLE, see if it gets better. Change again if it looks to be improving significantly, rinse repeat.
It's possible that it's just condensation from storage or could be a bad winterization, cracked head, cracked block, or it could be a warped head from overheating but that is least likely.
Before throwing in the towel, at least spend the $40 to change teh oila couple times and see if it clears up.
And Jim is right, not many signs that can pinpoint the problem without tearing it down.
How many hrs on the boat. Small block chevies rarely blow head gaskets. They're very bullet proof engines but jsut as susceptable to freezing and cracking as any other.

X5 Owner
05-24-2011, 09:44 PM
It has 298hrs on it. I will try changing it out a few times. Oh trust me I am hopeful that it's nothing bad. It's my first boat so I'll go down swinging!

ahhudgins
05-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Like Thrall said, change the oil at least twice before hitting the panic button. If each of your valve covers has an oil cap, pour oil in each of the heads to get both sides clean. Buy some cheap brand oil first to flush out the milky stuff.

Thrall
05-24-2011, 10:19 PM
300hrs is like 30,000 mi on a Chevy 350, so not likely it has a warped head unless it was overheated bad. If that was the case it would probably have low compression on one or more cylinders and not run well.
If the engine did freeze, not as likely in Houston, ask for some more advice on here if you don't know where to start. I've seen poeple I know get charged up to $10k to replace a Mercruiser Chevy 350 long block and that's highway robbery.

rand49er
05-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Head gasket at a minimum. Cracked head worst case.

The former would be fairly easy (assuming you know which end of a wrench to hold). The latter involves a bit more and is more $.

Oh, and I'd stop running the motor even though "it seems okay." Good luck.

Kyle
05-25-2011, 12:47 AM
Do a compression test and leak down test. Report every cylinder numbers for both tests. This will give some much needed info to help you.

Kyle
05-25-2011, 01:14 AM
If someone pressure washed the engine too good water could have entered through pcv valve or the oil dipstick. Do a compression test and leak down. If you have a bad cylinder we will know fast. If no bad cylinder change the oil and try again. A compression test will tell us a lot.

JLeuck64
05-25-2011, 02:38 AM
If it were me I would pull the exhaust risers off and replace the gaskets. While your at it have them pressure tested for cracks. Those are more susceptible to light freezing temps than the heads and block I believe.

Muttley
05-25-2011, 11:37 AM
I'm with Thrall. Before I go tearing down a motor I'd rather be sure there is a problem. Condensation after a 2 year sit, pressure washing, left in the rain with the motor cover up, lots of things can go wrong. Mechanical things don't like to sit.

A compression or leak down test is simple enough. If you have a torque wrench, re-torque the heads. Then I would change the oil as suggested until clean and watch it obsessively. Keep checking it to see if there is still water getting in there. If the oil gets milky again, then we'll start talking about a head gasket.