PDA

View Full Version : Check out these lake mines...this would hurt!

rhsprostar
05-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Just finished up the long weekend here in Ontario, Canada.
It was a great weekend givin the fact that all we have had this spring is rain, rain and more rain.....
As a result the lakes are overflowing, and my lake is up a couple of feet.
So I go out on Friday night for a ski, and as I am heading over to my ski partners place I notice that there is quite a bit of debris in the water. I drive through where our course is normally set up as I ususally do prior to a set, and out of the corner of me eye I see a branch floating. BUT i also notice that it is not bobing like a small branch would in my wake.
Sooo...I go check it out, and sure enough there is a ten foot tree in the middle of our boat path.

I can't imagine hitting this with the boat or my ski.
The second pic is a bad boy I pulled out after skiing! I think it's even worse!

Mother bnature has not been kind this spring...shes trying to kill me with these "Lake Mines"

Anybody else pull crazy stuff out of the lake before or after hitting it?

TxsRiverRat
05-24-2011, 10:21 AM
When I used to ski at Lake Lavon here in DFW, we saw something large in the water, and when we got close saw it was a HUGE turtle... Another time we didnt even see it, and the boats prop flipped a log up and it nailed my skier in the stomach and toom him out... Said it felt like being punched in the stomach with a bowling ball. LOL

CottagerGreg
05-24-2011, 10:41 AM
We've had a few big stumps floating in sparrow lake this season. I am usually one of the first boats in the lake so I take the duty to do a sweep for debris to ensure safety of myself and other fellow boaters.

Red Dragons
05-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Not even two minutes out on Thursday afternoon, there was a strip of blue plastic tarp floating just under the surface of the water. Of course I didn't see until I was right on top of it and it got wrapped around the prop. I got the small piece off the prop and went back for the rest of it so no one else got off to the same start as me. Lots of other small floaters but nothing like yours.

silverblueBP
05-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Whenever we have a heavy rain around here, the lake fills up fast and we have to go out on patrol to remove all the debris. Lots of large tree parts floating around.

Thrall
05-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Most of the lakes where I've lived have a ton of floating wood in the spring, mountain runoff.
Down in the Ozarks a couple years ago we got sick of no smooth water, so scoped out a bay with bunch of standing dead trees. Figured out a route and puleld several trees out with the old LT-1! After a dozen passes or so through there, felt a big BUMP as we were running through. Top of a tree hit the botom of the hull about a foot left of center! No damage, just a smudge but suffice it to say that was the last time in there!

pmkkdx
05-24-2011, 01:16 PM
at least ya'll have water in your lakes :rolleyes: ... ours are getting low!

76S&S
05-24-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm on a dammed up river, so needless to say, after any good rain we have debri or all kinds floating down the river. I've seen full size trees to tennis balls and everything in between.

TxsRiverRat
05-24-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm on a dammed up river, so needless to say, after any good rain we have debri or all kinds floating down the river. I've seen full size trees to tennis balls and everything in between.

On our sites, we've found shopping carts, tires, trees, clothing, dirty needles, and dead bodies (seriously)...

willyt
05-24-2011, 02:31 PM
On our sites, we've found shopping carts, tires, trees, clothing, dirty needles, and dead bodies (seriously)...

All of those + refrigerators occationally on my river :)

sand2snow22
05-24-2011, 02:40 PM
Dead heads are the worst around here. Think big tree in the river, submerged just below the surface so you have no idea it is there.

I was with a friend when we ran over a big pipe. Sheared the rudder offer, major prop, driveshaft, gelcoat damage. It was like we went over a ski jump....

TxsRiverRat
05-24-2011, 02:50 PM
We were skiing down the Brazos out of Cameron Park near Waco one fall and we had fishermen intentionally throw logs in our return path... I almost wanted to go throw the logs at them...

rhsprostar
05-24-2011, 02:52 PM

All of those + refrigerators occationally on my river :)

Okay...you guys win.......wow, I guess can live with a few logs now and then...I did see a huge dock float go by me but i lost track of it while pinning for my neighbor. I figure i would be able to spot that one if it was coming at me at 36mph......hopefully....

Oh and I did have the floor of a burned up ice hut wash up on my shore last year. Not pretty...

TxsRiverRat
05-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Okay...you guys win.......

Oh, i can't forget the makeshift homemade tom sawyer / huck finn wooden raft I found floating on my shoreline in February! It was so big, I had to tie it to the bumper of my truck and drag it out... We took it apart and made this nice bulletin board out of the 4x4s last month that were part of the raft:

http://i54.tinypic.com/15mlo5t.jpg

pmkkdx
05-24-2011, 03:06 PM
We were skiing down the Brazos out of Cameron Park near Waco one fall and we had fishermen intentionally throw logs in our return path... I almost wanted to go throw the logs at them...

be glad the gangs on the south side weren't using ya'll for moving target practice! maybe they have cleaned up Cameron Park since was there in the 70s at college. :cool:

TxsRiverRat
05-24-2011, 03:14 PM
be glad the gangs on the south side weren't using ya'll for moving target practice! maybe they have cleaned up Cameron Park since was there in the 70s at college. :cool:

Yep, it's better than that now... We've had guns drawn onus at my clubs site a few trimes throughout its history, I just heard one such story at the Rangers game last night when I ran into an old school member. I was shot at and missed by a pellet gun one year...

More than once, we've had onshore fishermen try and cast out and hook us...

MC

pmkkdx
05-24-2011, 03:26 PM
I believe my son did some wake boarding around that same area while at Baylor in ~'04-'07 time frame ...

TxsRiverRat
05-24-2011, 03:29 PM
I believe my son did some wake boarding around that same area while at Baylor in ~'04-'07 time frame ...

04-07 is about when we used to go down there... This years Brazos trips will all be to cleburne, my new GF has owns 205 like mine and loves to ski. what else could I have asked for????

chawk610
05-24-2011, 03:41 PM

Where do you go again? lol

TxsRiverRat
05-24-2011, 04:25 PM
Where do you go again? lol

One is Marine Creek Lake and the other is a private section of the Trinity River in downtown Ft. Worth... Lotsa homeless and junkies on the river site and lotsa drunks on MC

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-24-2011, 08:14 PM
The only thing I see right now is a bunch of islands popping up b/c of lack of rain our river/ lake is 2-4 ft low right now and dropping everyday at least we can "see" the channels lol, only jet skis and jon boats out now as we can't even launch.

76S&S
05-25-2011, 08:31 AM

Thankfully, we can't compete with that. One of the most dangerous things I've seen is a hollow metal door floating vertically just at the surface. That could have done major damage.

Every time we get down to our place, I pull out anything that is near us. Just makes me feel better and the logs are sawn up for bon fires.

SkiDog
05-25-2011, 03:25 PM
We get a few of these every now & then, but its nothing to worry too much about.

Cobra Rob
05-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Dead heads are the worst around here. Think big tree in the river, submerged just below the surface so you have no idea it is there.

I was with a friend when we ran over a big pipe. Sheared the rudder offer, major prop, driveshaft, gelcoat damage. It was like we went over a ski jump....

Did the preseason test run yesterday.. willamette down to downtown was fine.. tried to go upstream towards millwalkie to burn up some of the old gas.. it was like driving though a forest. logs EVERYWHERE.

The ramp was STUPID high too NEVER seen it that high.. water came up to the very start of the ramp