PDA

View Full Version : Battery Isolator

stockjr99
05-24-2011, 09:57 AM
I have 3 batteries in my MasterCraft that I am wiring in parallel. Two of them are the cranking battery and the last one is the deep cell battery to run my stereo off of. I want to put a isolator from the 2nd cranking battery to the deep cell. I am not sure what size isolator I will need?? ... Can someone give me some insight on what size I should get?

bjw444
05-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Borg Warner R3098

It is a 200amp unit and is 30 dollars, I guess it's off of a late 80's early 90's 3500 gm truck, I'm going to get one today hopefully at napa.

robin
05-24-2011, 10:23 AM
i have a Blue Seas 7610 ACR (auto charging relay), and love it. Some prefer a more traditional solenoid, and if you prefer this, I'd suggest a Stinger SR200. Neither are really battery "isolators", but are battery "combiners", that combine when they are charging; much more efficient then isolators. there are plenty of threads on both here, just search if you want more pros and cons from either.

stockjr99
05-24-2011, 10:30 AM
Does NAPA carry them?

agarabaghi
05-24-2011, 10:34 AM
i got this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Stinger-200-Battery-Relay-Isolator/dp/B001HBYXVS

stockjr99
05-24-2011, 10:36 AM
I have seen that one on eBay and have been thinking about getting it, just wasn't sure if it was good or not.. Do you like it? Easy to hook up?

robin
05-24-2011, 10:44 AM
both the blue seas and stinger are straight forward installs. the stinger has 4 wires: 2 wires interrupting the positive between the batteries, a ground, and the 4th hooked up to the run position on your ignition. the blue seas has 3 that are needed: the 2 positives, and a ground. it has several more optional hook ups (optional LED light, optional seperation during crank).

agarabaghi
05-24-2011, 10:50 AM
I have seen that one on eBay and have been thinking about getting it, just wasn't sure if it was good or not.. Do you like it? Easy to hook up?

i have yet to hook it up, but it looks pretty straight forward. Im just a bit confused on the "ignition" terminal.

stockjr99
05-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Yeah I was looking at some diagrams, and im confused about that also. Does anybody have any insight on this?

Thrall
05-24-2011, 11:44 AM
I went with the Blue Sea 7610 ACR. You'd ahve to look up the amp rating to see if it will work with your alternator, probably will unless you have a seriously upgraded alternator.
I used it to save having to runa trigger wire to teh igniton switch, plus it has some protction features that a std Borg warner relay doesn't. Using the simple realy works fine though as well at less than half the cost.

stockjr99
05-24-2011, 12:00 PM
You have to run a trigger wire with the other isolators? ... How much did yours cost?

jumphowhigh
05-25-2011, 12:35 AM
I put a POWER-GATE (http://www.perfectswitch.com) in my boat three years ago and its da-bomb. Saw a write-up on the Tige forum and this thing is super efficient with no heat sink and no solenoid. No relation, just a happy user.

stockjr99
05-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Whats a trigger wire? .. How does the Blue Sea install then?

stockjr99
05-25-2011, 11:56 AM
What model is your POWER-GATE ?? How much did you spend? and how does it hook up?

Thrall
05-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Whats a trigger wire? .. How does the Blue Sea install then?

Don't need to install a trigger wire witht he Blue Seas and a couple other "smart" isolators/combiners. The "smart" ones sense the charging voltage form the alternator (about 14V) and automatically latch the relay when that voltage is present.
The trigger wire is an electrical signal that causes the relay/isolator to latch and become continuous, effectively combining the batteries (for charging and load while latched) and then un latches when there's no power to the trigger wire, isolating the batteries when the engine is off. The wire needs to be hooked to a source that is hot only when the engine is running, not cranking, not off position, not accessory position.
It's not too hard to find the right wire. Use a voltage tester to find the wire coming off of the ignition switch that has 12V only when the ignition is in the RUN position.

stockjr99
05-25-2011, 12:19 PM
In your opinion is it worth the extra money to get the "smart" isolators?

robin
05-25-2011, 12:48 PM
I personally love my "smart" ACR. i think i got if for around $70 on ebay a year ago. i have mine wired so it will disconnect when cranking to avoid draw damage to my house battery electronics, and have a remote LED light on my dash that shows when it is closed/ charging. the one negative some people have had about it is that if your house battery gets REALLY drained / low on volts, it will not connect/ close. I have not experienced this problem.